View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Glossolalia when trips get difficult

Ganj

Bluelighter
I have started to notice that when psychedelic experiences get a little overwhelming or tense, I start to hear glossolalia. It comes in two very different forms (neither of which I can describe with much justice in text) one of which is a very thick scottish accent (I live in Scotland) going over sounds only developed by people with such an accent and the other is a posh voice making indescribable noises (hmm halabalum ha hom).

This started to leak into less and less difficult situations (becoming more and more frequent) as I continued to trip on a fairly regular basis and as a result of this I stopped a few weeks ago and am taking a break.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It is perhaps the early signs that I should use psychedelics much less frequently.

This is totally normal. Glossolalia, while it may seem creepy and even somewhat disturbing, is completely harmless. I experience it both in ordinary life and while trippin and it's never given me any problems. It's also not associated with mental illness.

Psychedelics activate parts of the brain which normally aren't able to activate, including within language centers. I think it's simply garbled feedback your brain is producing that normally just gets filtered out, but since your filters are greatly weakened, the data escapes. Another theory is that mushrooms are the reason language was invented and it's just a random biological fluke that happens to take place.

Last edited:
Very re-assuring to hear. Was slightly worried it was the early signs of actually hearing voices thank you:)