Writing-up Global Drug Survey 2022 and the Bluelight Census! Open to and relevant for absolutely everyone :)

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hi everyone

Global Drug Survey has launched! And this year, we have a question in the GDS which asks whether you have used Bluelight in the last 30 days. This question, my friends, will allow us at Bluelight to analyse information about our population - people who browse and use the site - and look at overall stats on demographics and drug use.

For this reason, Bluelight admin strongly encourages everyone reading this to consider completing the GDS / Bluelight census.

Beyond the Bluelight census aspect, there are some super modules in this year's GDS, including the core module on drug policies. What do you think about them and how have you been affected by them?

As usual the survey is anonymous and encrypted. We have ethics approval from University College London through principle investigator Prof Adam Winstock, who can be contacted at [email protected] . I'm also on the research team.

Survey will be open from now until around 28 February 2022.

It takes between 15 and 40 minutes, with the longer time commitment if you have used lots of different drug types recently. There is a save and complete later function if needed.

As usual, please reply to this thread with any comments or concerns about the survey. We'd love to get your feedback (and iron out any kinks if they still remain - we did a lot of piloting).

Thanks everyone

(Dr Monica Barratt on behalf of the Global Drug Survey team)

Unfortunately, 2021 was hardly better than 2020, but it’s almost over and things are settling a little in many parts of the world (though the striking inequalities that existed before, having sadly become amplified). Some good news, it’s GDS time again…. hooray! And this year is super special.

Happy birthday to us! 2021 marks the 10th anniversary of the first ever Global Drug Survey. Since that time over 900,000 people have taken part in our surveys that have covered all aspects of drug use: everything from sex and drugs, drug delivery and darknet drug markets, changes in drug policy, vaping, novel drugs and the psychedelic renaissance. Throughout that diverse landscape we have kept our singular focus on promoting honest conversations about drug use and helping keep people safe regardless of the legal status of the drug. This year GDS2022 has chosen seven areas to focus on that we considered were of vital public health importance or piqued our curiosity. As always, all GDS surveys collect your data anonymously and confidentially. We have received ethics approval for this study from University College London.

Drug laws – what are they good for?

The last 10 years has seen sweeping changes in the drug landscape. From the appearance of hundreds of novel synthetic drugs at the start of the decade, changes in drug laws regarding cannabis in many countries and the growing evidence and acceptability that ‘drugs’ including MDMA, LSD and the cannabinoids have the potential to be ‘medicines’ offering huge benefits to millions around the world. Over the last 10 years influential medical, research and public health groups including the British Medical Association, The Lancet and The Royal Society for Public Health have called for sweeping reforms of drug legislation. Even the historically conservative head of the American drug research funder NIDA has stated that that punishment does not ameliorate substance use disorders or related problems and is now funding research on the effects of alternative models of regulating and decriminalizing drugs. And yet many governments remain fixated and attached to antiquated drug laws, which often increase drug-related harms by compounding multiple vulnerabilities with criminalisation. We know that some people avidly support changes to drug policy and others are more cautious, therefore it is important to understand all views to help policy makers, activists, and other interested groups devise strategies to improve policy and public understanding.

So, this year GDS has teamed up with world leading criminologists to find out how the drug laws where you live have influenced your life and the decisions you make. When we analyse the data and publish our report in May 2022, we hope governments around the world will pay attention to our findings and reflect on whether their current drug laws lead to the outcomes they hoped for (broadly speaking, ‘advancing the health and wellbeing of their population.’)

The three things main things we want to know are:

• What was the impact of drug laws in your country on your decision to use, not use or stop using drugs?
  • What has the personal impact of drug laws been on your life?
  • What type of drug legislation would you like to see in your country and why? (Respondents are invited to select from a range of regulatory models)
‘Skinning up’ joints with tobacco

Our work over for the last year has assessed the patterns of use of cannabis in over 400,000 people. Although we are seeing people vaping and using edibles, it’s still the case that about 2/3 of people smoke cannabis in a joint rolled with tobacco. Now, we know tobacco is terrible for your health, causes dependence, is expensive and its use is totally unnecessary in order to enjoy cannabis (though some might prefer the high from smoking both together). So why is it, in most countries, mixing in tobacco is the most common method of using cannabis and what would it take for people to switch to a non-tobacco route of consumption? Reducing tobacco use among cannabis smokers would save lives and is probably the biggest unwanted public health impact of cannabis use on most consumers.

No and low alcohol beers, wines and spirits – are they really helpful or just a novel marketing ploy by the industry?

Alcohol is responsible for 4% of the global burden of disease and rates of alcoholic liver disease are on the rise in many countries. From a causative role in over 60 chronic health conditions including at least 7 different sorts of cancer as well as road traffic accidents, violence, obesity, poor mental health and reduced productivity at work, alcohol and the corporations behind its production and marketing have an awful lot to answer for. As governments and the general public slowly wake up to the harms related to alcohol the industry has been diversifying its product range with beverages containing low volume alcohol or ‘no’ alcohol.

This definition includes low alcohol drinks that are 1.2% ABV or lower, de-alcoholised products and alcohol-free products (usually no more than 0.5% ABV). While this might just be another marketing ploy to expand profits, it is possible that these beverages might offer some people a way of reducing their consumption and the associated health risks. That could be a good thing. We also know that an increasing number of people who are trying to moderate or avoid alcohol enjoy having more options when they go to a bar instead of having to sip a sweet fizzy drink. However, it is early days in our understanding of the use and perceptions of these products and so GDS thought we better ask people why they have consumed them and what the impact has been (if any) upon their drinking behaviour.

Sex and psychedelics

We’ll keep this short. People are always really interested in sex, and we are currently living through a psychedelic renaissance. People like sex. Some people really like psychedelics. We want to know what happens when you combine the two? If you have had sex on psychedelics, we’d love you to share your experiences.

Drink spiking

Following the wave of media interest in this topic in late October 2021, we have taken the opportunity to explore people’s experience of drink spiking or other ways of being given drugs without consent. We are interested in what people think they were spiked with, where they were, what happened and whether they reported it to the police.

Illicit tobacco

Sometimes cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco are sold that have been smuggled, are unbranded, lack proper health warning labels, or do not have all government taxes paid. As more rigorous tobacco control measures are implemented internationally, many smokers are turning to these illicit forms of tobacco as a more affordable source of the drug. We are interested in knowing more about the types of tobacco that people smoke, and how often it is used compared to legal tobacco.

Go on… hit the link, take the survey.

It’s anonymous, confidential and encrypted. Your experiences will help inform others and influence change.

Stay safe, Professor Adam Winstock, Dr Monica Barratt, Dr Emma Davies & Associate Professor Jason Ferris, on behalf of all at GDS

Last edited:
i rather enjoyed the survey, wish more would help to make a million, howdy do skorp?

i rather enjoyed the survey, wish more would help to make a million, howdy do skorp?
Doing pretty good, just doing my evening unwinding reading bluelight.

There was a really great nitrous oxide study a while back focusing on subjective effects, I'd advise taking it if a fan of that drug (author was really informed).

It was for recent experiences and said it was invalid to do the study on the drug, but it was in a bold text that seemed like a wink and a nod (also no IRB would allow for live intoxication studies). I hope i didn't give somebody invalid data, but it was probably the most fun I've ever had taking a study.

Hope you are well (and i must cross post and again urge you to watch spring breakers, but in the lens that its a bait and switch art film. Also, James Franco kills it with charismatic sleaze).

Doing pretty good, just doing my evening unwinding reading bluelight.

There was a really great nitrous oxide study a while back focusing on subjective effects, I'd advise taking it if a fan of that drug (author was really informed).

It was for recent experiences and said it was invalid to do the study on the drug, but it was in a bold text that seemed like a wink and a nod (also no IRB would allow for live intoxication studies). I hope i didn't give somebody invalid data, but it was probably the most fun I've ever had taking a study.

Hope you are well (and i must cross post and again urge you to watch spring breakers, but in the lens that its a bait and switch art film. Also, James Franco kills it with charismatic sleaze).
i love craz yjames in everything, di note the film and look forward to it , i have to attend a funeral tomorrow so i must sleep, didnt sleep at all, i stressed over havin 40 people in my home to feed , make drinks, but plans change and im grateful, never had a wake that large in my life, especially that i hosted,its a short service, he dint want long and drawn out, so they will give him 21 gun salute, with 6 i think servicemen, anyway, im getting better , off anti depressants. now if i could sleep::HUG:: hey we enjoy whacky and avante-garde films......you ever see THE BABY? that scared me in a deep sense, ending was classic, love when Elvira presented it, she cracks me up, and her reactions were priceless
Go Ahead Bore Me Elvira Mistress Of The Dark GIF by filmeditor

Sorry to hear about your loss, hope the wake gave you a sense of closure. Glad things are going well in terms of antidepressants. I haven't seen the baby, I'll look into it, always looking to expand the list of movies to watch.

Out of courtesy to the study let's move over to a film thread and chat in detail.

Sorry to hear about your loss, hope the wake gave you a sense of closure. Glad things are going well in terms of antidepressants. I haven't seen the baby, I'll look into it, always looking to expand the list of movies to watch.

Out of courtesy to the study let's move over to a film thread and chat in detail.
yes learning protocol, courtesy common and not so common. basic rules and the ways of Blighters and the ppl that love them
warning take care GIF by Polizei_Ffm
Looking Hold Up GIF by Hoshi Joell

Yeah i just filled this survey while having afternoon coffee.

I enjoyed it. It was interesting. Helped me to arrange my own use into some kind of perspective in my mind.

I encourage everyone to take the survey. It is cool.

Hi @Tronica,

Thanks for all your effort around the GDS. I have couple questions relating to the survey and how to promote and facilitate the inclusion of marginalised groups from low-income countries, who are not proficient in any of the language options currently available. I’ve also reviewed the questions while completing the survey and commented where appropriate.

I realise this is a lengthy post, but I’ve posted my responses here in case they are relevant to others. If my post would be better sent via email to the research team, please do advise.

My questions and comments are as follows:
  • What are the ethical considerations and potential bias of; i) someone proficient in English going through the survey with a person whose first language is not English and explaining the questions which aren't understood; and ii) a person with the necessary technological skills (or actual tech) completing the survey, while the respondent dictates the answers? For example, would I or someone else be able to complete the survey on behalf of an individual who doesn't have the necessary technological skills (or tech) while they distact their responses? Done face-to-face, so respondent is able ro have any English words or terms explained.

• Is the use of person-first language a consideration and do you think it’s applicable in this survey? For example, the use of the word ‘dealer’ in several questions could be seen as stigmatizing. A possible alternative could include ‘person who sells drugs’ or some variation (e.g. drug seller). I realize ‘dealer’ is most widely used term, globally, but potential to change the narrative?

• When it comes to sample size/no. of respondents, is there a minimum amount of participants required to do to any meaningful analyses with?

• I know certain researchers and the South African Community Epidemiology Network on Drug Use (SACENDU) would value from some of these data, which could be collected through non-profit organisations, who work with marginalized groups, without any additional funding required. Is there scope for collaboration through use of country specific data?

• There is some ambiguity in some of the questions, which could impact responses. For example, under Drug Policy Module, the question ‘I would be comfortable with any adult using Rhapsodol’. In this question, is ‘any’ all-inclusive? For example, street-based persons, or persons who don’t have a safe-space to experience Rhapsodol? I ask because it would be interesting to see the response, which I assume would include some internal cost-benefit thinking.

• Question 31. On personal use, does ‘Khat’ refer to synthetic methcathinone or to (cathinone) from the leaves of Catha edulis?

• Question 50. Does the question implicitly refer to a specific unit of alcohol? Or would having a single sip or couple of sips count as use?

• Questions 53 – 58. does ‘monthly’ refer to consecutive months or could it be a select few months over the past year? This question applies to all uses of monthly in the survey.

• Question 81. Would ‘Tea’ include ‘coffee’ in this context?

• Question 82. including only ‘(eat)’ next to the ‘oral’ option could be misleading as oral would also refer to drinking as a method of oral ingestion. I suppose it could go under the ‘other’ category?

• Question 92. The correct SI unit of measurement prefix (metric system) for gram is ‘g’ not ‘gm’ as currently indicated and should in include a space before the prefix ‘g’. This applies to use of all questions in the survey using the prefix ‘gm’. This comment applies to all uses of in the survey.

• Question 156. If one self-administers ketamine via IV or IM there aren’t options that allow for entering appropriate dosages. For example, if one self-administers 65 mg IM, this option isn’t available.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi @Tronica,

Thanks for all your effort around the GDS. I have couple questions relating to the survey and how to promote and facilitate the inclusion of marginalised groups from low-income countries, who are not proficient in any of the language options currently available. I’ve also reviewed the questions while completing the survey and commented where appropriate.

I realise this is a lengthy post, but I’ve posted my responses here in case they are relevant to others. If my post would be better sent via email to the research team, please do advise.

My questions and comments are as follows:
  • What are the ethical considerations and potential bias of; i) someone proficient in English going through the survey with a person whose first language is not English and explaining the questions which aren't understood; and ii) a person with the necessary technological skills (or actual tech) completing the survey, while the respondent dictates the answers? For example, would I or someone else be able to complete the survey on behalf of an individual who doesn't have the necessary technological skills (or tech) while they distact their responses? Done face-to-face, so respondent is able ro have any English words or terms explained.

• Is the use of person-first language a consideration and do you think it’s applicable in this survey? For example, the use of the word ‘dealer’ in several questions could be seen as stigmatizing. A possible alternative could include ‘person who sells drugs’ or some variation (e.g. drug seller). I realize ‘dealer’ is most widely used term, globally, but potential to change the narrative?

• When it comes to sample size/no. of respondents, is there a minimum amount of participants required to do to any meaningful analyses with?

• I know certain researchers and the South African Community Epidemiology Network on Drug Use (SACENDU) would value from some of these data, which could be collected through non-profit organisations, who work with marginalized groups, without any additional funding required. Is there scope for collaboration through use of country specific data?

• There is some ambiguity in some of the questions, which could impact responses. For example, under Drug Policy Module, the question ‘I would be comfortable with any adult using Rhapsodol’. In this question, is ‘any’ all-inclusive? For example, street-based persons, or persons who don’t have a safe-space to experience Rhapsodol? I ask because it would be interesting to see the response, which I assume would include some internal cost-benefit thinking.

• Question 31. On personal use, does ‘Khat’ refer to synthetic methcathinone or to (cathinone) from the leaves of Catha edulis?

• Question 50. Does the question implicitly refer to a specific unit of alcohol? Or would have a single or couple of sips count as use?

• Questions 53 – 58. does ‘monthly’ refer to consecutive months or could it be a select few months over the past year? This question applies to all uses of monthly in the survey.

• Question 81. Would ‘Tea’ include ‘coffee’ in this context?

• Question 82. including only ‘(eat)’ next to the ‘oral’ option could be misleading as oral would also refer to drinking as a method of oral ingestion. I suppose it could go under the ‘other’ category?

• Question 92. The correct SI unit of measurement prefix (metric system) for gram is ‘g’ not ‘gm’ as currently indicated and should in include a space before the prefix ‘g’. This applies to use of all questions in the survey using the prefix ‘gm’. This comment applies to all uses of in the survey.

• Question 156. If one self-administers ketamine via IV or IM there aren’t options which allow for entering appropriate dosages. For example, if one self-administers 65 mg IM, this option isn’t available.
Thanks,
Thanks for this very detailed feedback. I have saved it to workshop with the GDS team. Just a note that the question numbers are not static, so they don't mean anything to me in terms of understanding your comments on these later items. But we should be able to match them with the questionnaire.

We should be able to make some changes to GDS2023 which accommodates these issues, e.g. consideration of measuring IM/IV ketamine dosage, alcohol unit measurement clarification, frequency clarification, grams/g/gm etc.

As for person first language, generally we already do this (avoiding drug user or drug abuser terms - ugh) but yes there were some questions about source that use the term dealer. There's such a huge literature about what people even consider to be a dealer (as opposed to a friend who also sells). It's tricky. So would not only be considering possible stigmatising language but also what is meant. If we use seller, will people equate that with dealer, or will there be more people confused between friend/dealer. Should there be an option for 'a friend who sells me drugs'. I've been involved in other projects that had a more deep focus on these issues and teased them out further. We always have that issue with GDS of whether to change the measurement (to improve it) but then makes it incomparable with previous years. A conundrum that arises regularly.

Regarding an assisted survey completion, I don't see a problem with this. The survey however isn't set up for it. The idea is that we get partners in different parts of the world who then translate the survey into their own language. We then include that language as an option for people to self complete. So for GDS2023 we could hook up with people from your networks and translate the whole survey so it is more accessible in South Africa. But then there is the issue of the technical skills or the techology access to complete it. That we've not tackled yet. But we are open to it.

In terms of country numbers, once we get over n=500 things tends to be more reliable but we do still report on numbers 100 to 499 for countries. We don't report on anything <100 per country.
Still even with massive numbers they can be skewed as the samples are not representative. E.g. we usually get many 1000s from New Zealand but they often have an older age and are more likely to be alcohol only people. So it's not comparable to the Australian sample which tend to be younger and more drug involved.

UPDATE!

On the Bluelight census aspect of the GDS2022, we currently have just under 500 respondents in the survey that report using Bluelight in the last 12 months.
That group has a median age of 30 years and the country profile looks a bit similar to our google analytics although with more Germans (because many more Germans have completed the GDS).

SO it would be amazing if we could get a few 1000s respondents from Bluelight to actually have meaningful data to write up a census report.

We intend to keep GDS open until the end of January so hopefully many more of you will complete it, if you haven't already done so. Thank you.