• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Glitch in the QSAR of phenanthracine opioids

Feretile

Bluelighter
On page 242 of 'Opiates' by Lenz et al. is a QSAR of phenanthracine opioids. It suggests that the addition of an -OH at the 14 position and the replacement of the N-methyl with an N-2-arylethyl or (better) an N-2-(S)-hydroxy-2-phenylethyl moiety increases potency by a factor of 8 (2-phenylethyl) to a factor of 85 (2-(S)-hydroxy-2-(2-furyl)ethyl as compared to the parent compound (levorphanol - itself x10 morphine).

But there is a problem. The potency of compounds with both a 14-OH and an N-2-arylethyl is in doubt. Some papers suggest an increased potency when the 14-OH is present whereas other suggest a reduction in potency. I suggest that the reduced potency is because these examples possess some antagonist activity.

For those who do not know, the reason that certain N-substitutions possess antagonist activity is because of their conformation. In the 1960s a series of studies were carried out in which quaternary salts of morphine were produced. morphine allylbromide was the most telling. If you think about it, the N has 4 bonds and so their are 2 possible isomers. While these quaternary salts bear a formal charge and cannot pass the brain-blood barrier, in vitro studies using opiate receptors allowed the binding and activity to be studied. It turned out that one of the 2 isomers was an antagonist, the other an agonist.

What they concluded was than in minimum-energy conformation, N-allyl, N-methylcyclopropyl and to a lesser extent N-methylcyclobutyl and 2-methylpropenyl (as seen in pentazocine) would conform to the antagonist form.

Now, their is no suggestion that the studies into the levorphanol, 14-OH levorphanol & their N-2-arylethyl derivatives as well as hydromorphone, oxymorphone and their 2-arylethyl derivatives LOOKED for the conformation, but when potency would be expected to be significantly higher if the 14-OH was present, in all cases potency was the same or lower than the examples without the 14-OH.

I do realise that it's a minor point but it's a good example of the 'magic methyl' nature of medicinal chemistry.

BTW I feel comfortable posting these because in spite of the fact that R. Grewe's original synthesis has been improved, levorphanol is still 11 or 12 steps from commercially available chemicals. As for 14-OH levorphanol, well the ONLY example in use is the N-methylcyclobutyl AKA butorphaol and in spite of Bristol Mayer spending a decade perfecting the synthesis, it's still 14 steps with a 4% overall yield. Safe to say, it's NEVER going to be made.

BTW if anyone can confirm the activity of N-phenylethylnorlevorphamol and 14-hydroxy-N-phenylethylnorlevorphanol then I would LOVE to know.

In the meantime, here is a HUGE QSAR for levorphanol derivatives:

Note compound Ro 4-1439 (also has a Wiki entry). ED50 0.010mg/kg

Carefully study the QSAR.

Ro 4-0335 N-2-hydroxy-2-phenylethyl ED50 0.145 mg/Kg
Ro-1-0439 N-2phenylethyl ED50 0.113 mg/kg

Now, the 2 isomers of the N-substitution are not resolved so is one isomer MORE potent, the other less potent? You see, another 'magic methyl'

Ro 4-0288 N-2-phenylacetophenone (i.e. ketone at beta carbon) ED50 0.094 so the (S) isomer of the beta-hydroxy derivative is less potent than anlogues that do not bear a -OH. This is an important insight - the most potent on paper is NOT always the best target. Of course, if one can resolve the acid chloride (or whatever these N-substituents are formed from) then it becomes better.

But what is important is that NONE of these examples bare a 14-hydroxy (or better, 14-methoxy moiety). For those who do not know, the 14-MeO derivatives of levorphanol are around x10 more potent than the 14-OH derivatives.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3401597/

Schmidhammer investigated the 14-MeO derivatives and noted that 14-methoxymetopon is some x800 morphine in potency. I fear my skills in medicinal chemistry do not allow me to give a definitive reason for this but the 5-methyl (as seen in metopon) increases affinity and slows metabolism (metopon was briefly used to treat opioid dependence and as well a high oral bioavilability, it's duration was 8-12 hours as compared to 4 hours for oxymorphone. I believe that the 14-MeO enforces the orientation of the N-substituent which further reduces the Ki of the drug (increases affinity).

Last edited:
CC the 14-MeO moiety. I searched Schmidhammer's patents and his most attractive route was to react the 14-hydroxy compound with NaH and methylate with MeI or (CH3)2SO4 (the former gave a slightly higher yield). But the conditions show just how unreactive that tertiary hydroxy moiety is.

I see no examples in which the use of Methyl trifluoromethanesulfonate or methyl fluorosulfonate were considered.

I would be interested to know if the more recent reagent such as trimethyloxonium tetrafluoroborate were tried.

But I fear that the biosteric minimum of ALL of these reagents is simple to large for them to bind. After all, the NaH will yield -ONa + HI which acts as a catalytic route for the MeI or (CH3)2SO4 to donate a -CH3.

All in all, fascinating chemistry and I am sure a WONDERFUL plot for a book, especially since the Chinese developed a biorector route from codeine to noroxymorphone. I do not know anything about biochemistry but I see the attraction. OK so the volumes involved for the yield are low, but the reaction is safe and proceeds unatended.