Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Girls

poopie

Bluelighter
from HBO's site:
Created by and starring Lena Dunham ("Tiny Furniture"), the show is a comic look at the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their early 20s. Dunham wrote and directed the pilot of the series, which she executive produces along with Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner. The cast also includes Jemima Kirke, Allison Williams, Adam Driver and Zosia Mamet. Episodes were shot in New York. The ten-episode season debuts in 2012.

girls-hbo-1.jpg

I dug it.

(pilot is free for non-subscribers too, i believe)

hmm not quite diggin it. pilot seemed pretty awkward imo and they just had to throw in an MGMT song. ill give it a chance n' check out the next few episodes and see how it develops.

I at least liked the part when the guy was making poppy tea. Someone called me out during that scence since they knew I was into that for a while.

One likely criticism of the series is that it dwells on privileged white-girl problems; in fact, its core cast members are all famous people's kids. (Williams' dad is newsman Brian Williams, Mamet's is playwright David Mamet, and Kirke's is Simon Kirke, drummer in the classic rock band Bad Company.)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-ca-lena-dunham-20120408,0,2699677.story

so...privileged rich white kids pretending to be privileged upper middle class white kids losing their "safety net" (parents financial help)? i'll pass, thanks.

I thought this topic deserved more discussion so here's my 2c:

There's no doubting this show is brilliantly executed - no holds barred, nothing fancy, subtly funny, definitely not the glamorous NYC we're used to seeing on TV - just the awkward, sometimes unpleasant, tedious, embarrassing, awkwardly funny realities about being young and having just left uni for the work world. I remember those days well although I didn't have my parents' help. They seem very privileged despite the way the characters are portrayed. Why don't they just get bar work or something like my friends and I did at/after uni? As an Australian I can't really relate in that sense.

I watch it, but can't really say I like it. The characters are so unlikeable and I sometimes find myself saying 'oh come on !' when Hannah does or says something unbelievably stupid (which is often). Then I remember stupid stuff I've done and said, well still do ...

I got sick of the expensive shoes, shallow, narcissism of sex and the city as much as I loved it at the time it aired and needed something a bit more realistic - as realistic as this show is though, the characters are still narcissistic and shallow, just a different demographic.

After watching Episode 4, I'm excited it's been picked up for a second season. After the last 2 shows, I'm pretty into it.

I realize that it might not always be something to relate to, but the characters' personal problems are common and approached in a fresh, humorous way (the abortion party), imo. My fear of the show, and with any where the writer and director stars in it, is that it will be an autobiographical self-indulgent bloated POS. But Lena and Hannah are different. Hannah is so painfully awkward, honest, and tries so hard.

I watched her film "Tiny Furniture" the other day (thank you, Netflix). It was alright.

p.s. That scene between Booth Jonathan and Marnie was rewatched several times, because it was hot as fuck...

GIRLS on HBO

Who has seen the new HBO show Girls? I love it! No other show, IMO, captures what young adult women are thinking the way that this show does. The writer, main actress, and director is a young woman who writes from the heart in a raw style that many women can relate to. All the characters have defined personalities, and most girls can identitify with aspects of each character. Most shows are made by men, and they do not capture the female mind nor emotions. Most shows made by men portray how they Think women should act or think and it sends out the wrong message to the public. This show is funny and relatable, I am thrilled that there is an outlet for young women on TV that portrays real life situations many girls encounter. I think young guys can enjoy the program too because they may be able to relate to it in terms of their girlfriend etc and it can help some guys better understand girls. What do you girls and guys think?

Im a guy and I enjoyed it. Very funny. Watched a heap of them. Great show I thought.

Last edited:
i saw an episode and thought it was pretty good. my boyfriend's dad keeps telling me how funny it is and that i should watch it, def going to try to get more into it when i get the chance!

It's kinda really fucking good.

I always worry when someone is the writer, director and star of something. Seems like too great of a chance to be a superbly over-indulgent piece of shit. Like, some stream of consciousness journal to which we're subjected. I feel there's a huge difference between Lena and her character, Hannah. Some of the stuff on the show is frivolous and fluffy, but other times, it's a bit deeper. I like that we get to sit down with the writer after the show too. Thanks, HBO. And, jesus, it's funny. Painfully awkward and funny.

I watched Tiny Furniture on Netflix after a few episodes of this. Also, very good times.

I finally saw a full episode while waiting for A Game of Thrones a few weeks ago, and was absolutely flabbergasted. What the actual fuck? I couldn't believe the kind of shit these girls got into and their stupid male counterparts, complaining about spilled wine on their stupid fancy rugs. I can't relate to any of this navel gazing or New York City dick sucking. I guess I'm just a hater. I actually came in to this thread to post because i just read an article saying that HBO or whoever compiles cable statistics has announced that the largest demographic of linear (not illegal sources) Girls watchers are white men over the age of 50, with white men 30 years old or older coming in second. Are the girls that Girls says they are just too poor/busy waiting tables to watch this show on HBO?

^yes :\ we are too poor and busy waiting tables in NYC to actually watch it...
:\
the girl is a total JAP though hello. that's not white girl problems. that's JAP girl problems.
(jewish-american-princess)
you don't have those in the south. whereas here in the tri-state area we're chock fucking full of them

Jewish-American Princess or JAP is a pejorative stereotype of a subtype of Jewish-American female. The term implies materialistic and selfish tendencies, attributed to a pampered or wealthy background.

The stereotype, as described in these sources, is over-indulged by her parents with attention and money, resulting in the princess having both unrealistic expectations and guilt, and skill in the manipulation of guilt in others, resulting in a deficient love life. The stereotype has been described as "a sexually repressive, self-centered, materialistic and lazy female," who is "spoiled, overly-concerned with appearance, and indifferent to sex", with the latter her most notable trait.

This show is like listening to your girlfriend talk about her day for 30 minutes.

I have seen this show and I thought it was quite Funny as Hell, I like the Abortion episode and that shower they threw for her LOL.

i watched the pilot, since i usually dig HBO shows, but i thought it was fuckawful. neither funny nor entertaining and 'akward' as in watchin your grandma shower.

i loved this show, soundtrack, acting, plot, editing were all great

fav character is adam he has great pacing

Dunno what I need first: a mesh shirt or some coke.

Oh, and Booth Jonathan? You lost me at Duncan Sheik

I hated this from the minute I first started watching. But for some reason, I kept on watching regardless. I do kinda have a soft spot for Jessa, but really, I detest 99% of the characters in this show. I officially gave up after the first episode of season 2.

^
A refreshing change of perspective from what appears to be the usual "You'll hate the first couple of episodes, but then you'll love it!"

ive heard some people bagging season 2 but it takes a few episodes for a show to build up storylines etc

i might wait until it finishes then download the whole season and get back to girls heavn