• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ginseng: which is the best option to go for?

Tallbuilding

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I've been suffering from brain fog, lack of concentration, low mood/motivation, for some time now, and have been recently diagnosed with ADD. Medication seems to work somewhat, but the side effects and the way in which they make my speech impediment worse means that I don't really want to continue taking them.

So I've been looking at other alternatives, and stumbled across Ginseng. I'm wondering, which is the best option for me to try, given the symptoms I've mentioned? Siberian, American or Asian (red/panax I believe it's called?). Are there any which are generally more effective than others? I'm happy to pay more for a type which has better effects.

On the same note, could Ginkgo Biloba be an option?

Thank you!

When it comes to supplements, I think k it's best to try as many as you can and see what works for you. If you can find a supplement or natural alternative, it will often be a better long term solution. You might also consider finding something that will allow you to be less reliant on your meds even if you still have to take them..

What medications have you taken for your add?

When it comes to supplements, I think k it's best to try as many as you can and see what works for you. If you can find a supplement or natural alternative, it will often be a better long term solution. You might also consider finding something that will allow you to be less reliant on your meds even if you still have to take them..

What medications have you taken for your add?

Yeah that's what I've been doing really, but I've exhausted quite a few options (5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, Rhodiola, L-Theanine, L-Tryptophan, etc) with little effect, so it gets quite costly, but I'm not going to give up just yet.

ATM I take Vyvanse (Elvanse) some days a week, but I can't say I've hit the sweet spot with it yet. 30mg was fine for the first 4-5 hours, but the comedown gave me anxiety and a real lack of focus at around lunchtime (not ideal), and so I now open the capsule and take ~20mg in water. Reduces anxiety somewhat, but of course still only lasts 4-5 hours: not exactly 'long acting', but that's often the case with Vyvanse I've heard.

I'm really, really keen on finding a supplement, herb, etc, which can give me what I need without being on prescription meds. I've read good stuff about Magnesium, particularly Citrate and Glycinate, so I might try that as well.

Adrafinil and caffeine are probably the most potent stims that you can get as a supplement IMO. You could ask your doctor about trying modafinil which is basically the same thing as adrafinil. The -afinils work well for some people, and they're not going to have those severe ups and downs that you can get with more potent stims.

I've seen some people say that kava helps with they're adhd. Lawena is a part of the kava plant that isn't nearly as sedating, but can provide a nice relaxation that can sometimes improve focus

Thank you for your reply :)

As for Adrafinil and Modainil, I think I might've tried that a few times in the past, but i wasn't sure if you had a wait a week or two to actually feel the benefits. So I never got to find out. Not sure if it's prescribed in the UK though (?)

For me, the afanils worked right away. I'm almost certain they're available in the UK with a prescription. They're also way less abusable than amps, so most doctors won't hesitate to prescribe them.