• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Gibberings CCXV -- 2C-B And A Mine Field Of Fuckery...

I love your ingenuity. I also remember those scanners and Amigas. I'm still only 21 mind.
I was particularly proud of it. But the best fun I had with the limited computing power at my disposal -- an Amiga 500 with a clock speed of nearly 8 MHz, a thwacking great two point five megabytes of RAM and a hard disk drive, and an Amstrad NC100 "notepad" computer with just 64 kilobytes of RAM plus 128kB of ROM containing the built-in word processor, dictionary, BASIC programming language and some simple apps like a calculator, address book and diary and a terminal emulator with the ability to transfer files to another computer with a serial port -- must have been the "New Age Travel Agency -- your trip will be sorted with us" scam, i.e. printing my own bus tickets.

It started with a simple enough experiment, as follows: Print a return ticket ("Ticket A") issued in town, to the stop in my village and back, earlier that same morning; and another return ticket ("Ticket B") issued in my village to town and back, again that day. There were helpful "Know Your ticket" posters on the bus telling you what all the different groups of letters, figures and symbols represented (boarding stage, service number, vehicle number and so forth -- basically a complete how-to guide for the aspiring forger. And I had plenty of examples of real bus tickets (with the vehicle numbers used on that route, plus the corect fare stage numbers ) to work from. Then board a bus in the village, presenting ticket A to the driver. As far as anyone was concerned, I was simply using a return ticket for the return journey, to go back to the City. (This required some care in the choice of timings, since it obvously must not be the exact same vehicle witn the exact same driver, lest they remember not issuing any ticket to any crazy hippy freak type person wearing ripped jeans over multi-coloured leggings and army surplus boots earlier that day.) Then, after enjoying a day in town, I presented ticket B, to go back home to the village.

Well! The buzz of having my crude self-printed bus ticket accepted as genuine by the driver was well up to the standard of any drug. It was as though there was an orange sun inside my body, and its light was shining out through each of the pores in my skin. (The same phenomenon occurred the first time an inspector boarded the bus on which I was travelling, examined my ticket and passed it back to me without a word, just a smile slight relaxation of the scowl.) And they only made it even easier for me when they started accepting return tickets up to a month after the day of issue, not just the same day, and also even for another journey in the same direction instead of there and back (so your return ticket would not be wasted if you met up with someone and got a lift home witn them).

I reckon I probably took the local bus companies for about £4000 - 5000 worth (at 1995 - 98 rates), all told, with some help from a few friends. In the end, it was ruined by carelessness; as most things seem to tend to be, ultimately. I'm not blaming **** because it could just as easily have been **** or me who got about as lucky as someone getting unlucky can get. It was a blast while it lasted, but it had its course to run.

There was another idea I had involving forged bus tickets, that -- if, and only if, it worked -- could have netted a few dozen crisp tenners for a friend and me over the course of a day; but this one was really too dangerous, and we chickened out. Well, what it was more like was, we tried Dutch courage; but we were already far too wrecked to proceed before either of us managed to persuade the other that it was anything but a one-way ticket to prison .....

I think you're getting a fucking bargain Julie! I pay 17.66p/kwh and it was the second cheapest I could find on uSwitch.
I get my electricity from E-On, formerly PowerGen, even more formerly East Midlands Electricity. When I signed up for a supply, I was fully expecting Labour to win the next election, and then immediately renationalise the Utilities privatised by Thatcher. And I suspected that anyone who had trtied to milk it by switching suppliers might get hit with some form of sanctions, so I purposefully remained loyal to my original supplier.

As it turned out, Labour only acted like the Conservative 2nd XI; and now energy prices are rising, due to chronic under-investment in renewables (and one day, remewable energy sources will be the only sources there are[/i]) consumers are being actively encouraged by the government to switch suppliers, making the problem worse for themselves and everybody else.

The only change I have had, besides the usual creeping inflation and replacement of the old card meter with a key meter, was coming off Economy Seven (they found out somehow that I had replaced the night storage heaters with a gas boiler and radiators), and they did that by instructing their npayment machines to re-program my key so the night rate was the same as the day rate. Which would have sucked badly for anyone, say, having a hydroponics operation up and running at the time, taking full advantage of the seven hours' cut-price juice to grow a crop of Sensi Star or anything ..... cute, innocent schoolgirl smile; eyelashes flutter; nervous giggle. I get paid about 20p. per kWh I generate, whether or not I use it myself (and it's injected downstream of the consumption meter; so if I am using only solar electricity, the meter does not count down at all, so it's cheaper than free -- even if I have to draw some power from the grid to supplement the solar panels' output, I only have to pay for the difference between what I used from the grid and what I made myself).

Tl;dr: I saved money on my electricity bills by not switching my supplier.

About the Amiga Jules... where did you install the extra 1.5MB? Bottom expansion port? I had a 500+ so it already had 1MB on board and I didn't use it for anything too spectacular (my scanner was a hand held grey scale effort and the megabyte gave me 8 channels to play around with on my favourite sequencer which was enough). I've seen plenty of other Amigas with that much memory, the AGA / 1200 / 4000 series included but never a 500.

Sorry to be nosey but it was my favourite computer, possibly my favourite thing, ever. Last thing I was obsessed with before I discovered drugs (the rave music was already a thing and the Amiga just fed right into all that perfectly).

I have a friend with a modified Amiga that he uses in his studio. He has all the larest Apple shit mega expensive sound cards etc but still uses the Amiga for stuff as well.

I have a friend with a modified Amiga that he uses in his studio. He has all the larest Apple shit mega expensive sound cards etc but still uses the Amiga for stuff as well.

I can believe that, they are so fucking versatile, used to to get in rows over this kind of stuff as a youngster due to some kind of dickheadish brand loyalty (the Atari ST crowd had built in MIDI interface and all of that) but it was the best of times etc. Loads of the best UK hardcore tracks at the time were produced on Amigas....

Urban Shakedown feat. Mickey Finn - 'Some Justice' 1991

I used to love messing around on my Amiga 1200 with Octamed and a disc full of samples. I also had an awesome fractal generater that you could load with user defined colour pallettes then cycle through them making the fractals pulse. Other software I loved was Deluxe Paint III and the game Frontier, Elite 2. Great days indeed...

I had an external HDD (A590?) that plugged into the side. I think it had about a 20 MB disk, and mine was also loaded with DRAM chips -- I think four banks of 512KB, plus the 512 on the motherboard. I do remember having a 512KB bottom-slot RAM upgrade; but that was earlier, and might even have packed up before, or perhaps shortly after, I got the HDD.

I was a bit disappointed that the Amiga simply wasn't as easy to program as the ZX81 and BBC model B on which I had cut my coding milk teeth in BASIC, and then moved up a whole 'nother gear with the Beeb's inline asssmbler for when its pretty nippy BASIC wasn't quite fast enough. All that was in ROM on the 8-bit machines: you switched the thing on, and got an interactive programming environment, with a command line interpretator. The Amiga had a version of BASIC, but it was limited as to hardware access. Not like the BBC, where you were given full access to low-level OS routines. Programming languages seemed to be optional extras ..... I remember writing a lot of stuff in a BBC Emulator, which even emulated 6502 instructions!

I also had a sound sampler. Mono only, and only 8 bits, but that knocked 75% off the storage requirements :)

Ended up losing the Amiga in a burglary after a house move. Replaced it, on the insurance money (the ink was still barely dry on the policy when I put my claim in, and my loss adjuster even adjusted it a little in my favour, bless her!) with a second-hand 1200; a much more capable beast indeed. No HDD at first, though I eventually fitted one as an upgrade. Great games and demos, with the AGA chipset; but programming anything would have to wait until I got my hands on a "proper" PC, and rekindled my interest in Linux .....

I used to love messing around on my Amiga 1200 with Octamed and a disc full of samples. I also had an awesome fractal generater that you could load with user defined colour pallettes then cycle through them making the fractals pulse. Other software I loved was Deluxe Paint III and the game Frontier, Elite 2. Great days indeed...

Elite. How good was the original and the sequal. So far ahead of its time.

Bards Tale and i think it was called Druid were also great. Bards Tale let us use our old Wizardry characters which was awesome. Wizardry was a revolutionary game too back then.

Elite was OK, but Frontier was just fuckin awesome. A whole universe with realistic physics on a 720k floppy. That is still my favourite computer game ever.

The original Elite was written for the BBC Model B; and pulled some cool stunts like switching graphics modes partway down the screen, giving the main view in 2-colour high-res and the instrument panel in 4-colour low-res. Also generating all the galaxy patterns and star names algorithmically (there would be no room in memory for a look-up table). The (slightly simplified, but still thoroughly enjoyable) cassette version used the extra memory space freed up by not using the disk system, to maintain pre-loaded bits that would normally be swapped in from the disk as needed. The disk version was able to use most of the rest of the disk -- 100K for a 40-track disk, so about three times as much space as the machine's total RAM -- to hold sections of program that would be loaded on demand, with the game logic even adjusting its timing around each disk read, for a more complex game.

The only change I have had, besides the usual creeping inflation and replacement of the old card meter with a key meter, was coming off Economy Seven (they found out somehow that I had replaced the night storage heaters with a gas boiler and radiators), and they did that by instructing their npayment machines to re-program my key so the night rate was the same as the day rate. Which would have sucked badly for anyone, say, having a hydroponics operation up and running at the time, taking full advantage of the seven hours' cut-price juice to grow a crop of Sensi Star or anything ..... cute, innocent schoolgirl smile; eyelashes flutter; nervous giggle. I get paid about 20p. per kWh I generate, whether or not I use it myself (and it's injected downstream of the consumption meter; so if I am using only solar electricity, the meter does not count down at all, so it's cheaper than free -- even if I have to draw some power from the grid to supplement the solar panels' output, I only have to pay for the difference between what I used from the grid and what I made myself).

You make your own juice? That's awesome. I wish I could here. Also I've no doubt you'd never do anything even slightly illegal. Nobody here would condone such a thing ;)

printing my own bus tickets.

Now we're talking! I used to take advantage of a free ticket offer that Stagecoach or some such private monopoly was running on our rural route. They printed two free trial tickets in the local paper. But there were no serial numbers or anything. So I just scanned them in, collected unprinted pieces of newspaper, popped them in the inkjet, and had 12 months of free travel (bear in mind a single ticket to travel 5 miles cost about 5 fucking quid, and if you don't have a car that's your only non-cycling/walking option!). Not as sophisticated as your impressive scam, but made me feel like I'd done a good deed for the day every time I travelled.

I had an Amiga 500 with PC card and 2mb expansion (I think). Then I upgraded to an A1200 with 80mb internal HD, and eventually added a 68030 card + 4mb. That was really something, it booted up Workbench in about 5 seconds and meant I no longer had to swap disks when playing Civilization, which was basically all I did with it aside from schoolwork.

Did anyone play this on the BBC Micro? I seem to remember many school classes involved playing Elite and Granny's Garden.

I think if the Amiga had come with a decent programming language as well as Deluxe Paint II, III or IV, it could have done even better. Or if the Acorn Archimedes had been a bit cheaper, that could have taken off in a big way (you can still run RISC OS, and BBC BASIC, on the Raspberry Pi, if you want a modern feel of it).

The Amstrad NC100 could run BBC BASIC, and supported inline Z-80 assembly language. With its built-in word processor, including spelling checker and mail merge facility, it was pushing the 8-bit chip pretty hard; but it made a brave show of it.
You make your own juice? That's awesome. I wish I could here. Also I've no doubt you'd never do anything even slightly illegal. Nobody here would condone such a thing ;)
Yeah, I have eight 250 watt PV panels and a grid-synchronous inverter (which converts the direct current from the panels to alternating current, and synchronises the crests and troughs of the waveform with the waveform from the grid supply). Treated as a single bulk purchase of energy, it worked out equivalent to about 16.21p. per kWh over the expected working lifetime of the system, which is not at all too shabby considering current energy pricing trends (Think Yazz and the Plastic Population -- The Only Way Is Up). And with the encouragement of being paid over the going rate for what I generate, I have effectively invested in improvements in production efficiency and economy of scale that will continue to bring down prices in future, just as I benefitted from even earlier adopters' investments when they received an even greater sweetener.

Last edited:
I think if the Amiga had come with a decent programming language as well as Deluxe Paint II, III or IV, it could have done even better. Or if the Acorn Archimedes had been a bit cheaper, that could have taken off in a big way (you can still run RISC OS, and BBC BASIC, on the Raspberry Pi, if you want a modern feel of it).

The only programming I ever did (apart from some C++) was on our Acorn Electron in about 1984-7. Nothing particularly sophisticated either, mostly games printed in the Electron User I think lol. I've never had the interest for programming; conversely brother spent most of his life programming on his Archimedes A3000.

Yeah, I have eight 250 watt PV panels and a grid-synchronous inverter (which converts the direct current from the panels to alternating current, and synchronises the crests and troughs of the waveform with the waveform from the grid supply). Treated as a single bulk purchase of energy, it worked out equivalent to about 16.21p. per kWh over the expected working lifetime of the system, which is not at all too shabby considering current energy pricing trends (Think Yazz and the Plastic Population -- The Only Way Is Up). And with the encouragement of being paid over the going rate for what I generate, I have effectively invested in improvements in production efficiency and economy of scale that will continue to bring down prices in future, just as I benefitted from even earlier adopters' investments when they received an even greater sweetener.

That's a very good deal really. When I finally leave this city, I'd like a place with some land and room for energy options.

I had an A570 wodged into the side port on my A500+ so I could play CDTV titles.

Always wanted a CDTV back in the early '90s, it looked so black, sleek and modern. Shame Commodore had no idea what they were doing with the tech.

it was wank cfc you didnt miss out on anything commodore wasted all of there optical formats imo - it was still cool though for cataloguing loads of pd stuff and stuff like that without the need for a HD

You're probably right, I'm a sucker for glossy marketing lol

CDTV%2B-%2B5.%2BAmiga%2Bvideo.jpg