• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ghees linctus opium based cough syrup

KirkhamBadMan

Bluelighter
Hi I was wondering if anybody has had any encounters with this cough medicine since the active ingredient is opium I found it strange how i can buy this OTC here in the UK thanks guys

It’s Gee’s Linctus, not Ghee’s Linctus.

It contains opium tincture and squill.

A standard 100ml or 200ml bottle only contains the equivalent of about 20mg anhydrous morphine.
It works out out at about 0.08ml of opium tincture per teaspoon/5ml.

Last edited:
It’s Gee’s Linctus, not Ghee’s Linctus.

It contains opium tincture and squill.

A standard 100ml or 200ml bottle only contains the equivalent of about 20mg anhydrous morphine.
It works out out at about 1mg per teaspoon/5ml.
Yes and WHERE THE FUCK CAN THIS BE SOLD otc?! I'd never even heard of it.

PS also knowing it contains squill I would be extremely hesitant to take it. Squill extract can cause seizures and fatal arrhythmias in people sensitive to the ingredient (without prior neurological or cardiac issues). I'm surprised it's still legal as an ingredient.

You can buy it, Gee’s Linctus liquid (They used to sell it as throat lozengers until some time in the 70’s or 80’s.), Morphine and Kaolin liquid (Also only contains 20mg morphine sulphate per 100ml bottle.) and J. Collis Browne’s Mixture, which is also I think opium tincture and squill but is a brand.

Originally I think J. Collis Browne’s Mixture was laudanum but has been made piss weak, again contain around 20mg morphine per bottle.

J. Collis Browne is the same person who created Chlorodyne, as in laudanum, with cannabis tincture and chloroform water.

You can buy these only at pharmacies, J. Collis Browne’s Mixture is easiest to spot cause it’s a brand and the box is always the same, there’s two size bottles.

Kaolin and Morphine and also Gee’s from what I’ve bought have always been generic bottles but with big writing of the product name on them.

They’re either for cough or diarrhoea not both, so make sure you ask for the correct one and usually they won’t sell it younger people or people who look like users.
Not that they’ll get you high, 20mg morphine orally is a newbie dose.

I was under the impression that the UK and most of Europe had changed their ways regarding the weak Opioids. I guess it's not surprising that it's still out there.

I hate to kill everyone's boner here, but these medicines are exceedingly weak. Only someone with absolutely no tolerance to Opioids who drank an entire bottle could catch a real buzz.

There are some famous ones out there. J Collis Brown mixture is another one. It's also very weak, but could potentially relieve some of the worst of a person's withdrawal if the entire contents were taken. The JCB mixture contains a ton of Kaolin (Clay Basically) as it is a medication intended to treat dysentery/diarrhea. It makes it extremely difficult to consume large quantities of the stuff, as any more than one bottle could likely cause serious digestive problems.

If I'm reading the label correctly, this stuff contains ~.08mg Opium Tincture per 5ml. If you have one of the large bottles of 200ml. This would give us a total Opium content of 16mg in an entire bottle. Assuming it's pharmaceutical quality Opium, which it is, this will leave us with 1.6mg - 2.4mg total Morphine content in an entire bottle. Let's for fun just say that we're dealing with above-average potency flower, ~20% and we get a maximum of 3.2mg Morphine.

This is basically enough Morphine to actually treat a condition like Diarrhea and not much more. Loperamide (Immodium) fulfills this role in the US and it appears to be as or more effective than Morphine. Even Loperamide is known to produce transient Mu-Agonism. My opinion is that there is probably little difference in the end effect between taking this quantity of Morphine or an equipotent dose of Loperamide.

Either way, this stuff is pretty much abuse-proof. It's one of those situation where you contemplate whether you could consume 10 bottles at once. You then are led to contemplate how you're going to feel physically after consuming all of that extra nonsense. Is the end result actually going to be pleasant? Probably not. Still, like I said, it could still be something good to have on hand for when you run out of drugs.

As regards the J Collis Brown tincture, you'd be better getting a pack of Neurophen Plus or Solpodine Extra (obviously if its OTC in your country which as far as I know is only Ireland and the UK (if anyone knows if it is anywhere else do tell) due to how much more codeine you're getting (ie 12.8mgs a pill in a pack, which come in 10 and 20 packs with Neurophen being the better of the two in terms of having more codeine). Even do one better and perform a cold water extraction of the codeine, though that can get costly as you're going to want to use at least a pack of 20 for each yeild to justify doing the CWE if you want to go that route.

I dont find Immodium/Lope to have much success at all and Im at a point now where I'm nearly off opioids having been weaning for a while now. The side effects for the amount of Loperimide you'd have to take to get anything even vaguely noticeable just arent worth it, and you'd best have an enema or two ready if you're about to down a bottle of those fellas.