L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

GF mood swings, having a mental breakdown coming to a full meltdown tomorrow

RobotRipping

Bluelighter
So my gf of 7 years now is going through some rough shit. She's been on dexedrine for her ADHD and has been having massive mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal threats/ideation/plans to overdose and a very rough time emotionally. She is constantly in fear, big control freak and cannot let go of past trauma no matter how hard i try with her. So we've been going to couples counseling, which started off as me going with her to her sessions but now her therapist wants to include me every time for some reason and actually spends most of the time talking to me and not about her issues but still, we're trying.

Last week, she went back home to visit her family for a week (she is on short term leave from work due to mental issues) and she had big fights with all of her family members and a near breakdown which i talked her out of. Now she is coming back tomorrow with her dad and he is staying in town for a few nights. It just so happens my 2 cousins who i haven't seen in forever are visiting as well. Their father is my uncle who shot himself and was bipolar last november which really hit me hard. Anyway, they have asked me to stay in my spare bedroom in my big 2 bedroom apartment my gf and i share together. I asked my gf if it was okay and she has completely flipped on me and threatened suicide again.

So i have problems too but i went through therapy last year and am relatively happy with my life despite being dependent on etizolam, my own dexedrine and the odd drug binge here and there. My moods are stable though and i am doing well in life and things are going great in all aspects except for this.

WTF do i do?? if i tell my cousins no i can't have them over because my girlfriend is having a mental breakdown then that's going to make things look terrible and is kind of a deal breaker for me after all i have done for her. She's also been very moody about a new car we have and thinks that i am going to just take off with it which i have no plans to do. How can i possibly resolve this situation without resenting her and without her killing herself or threatening to do so (by taking all of her and my dexedrine and eating tons of tylenol). I can take her to the hospital but she will be super pissed and fuck she is calling me now.

please help!

after talking to her she now says it's all okay but i am feeling resentment major fucking resentment over all this shit. I'm to the point where she can shove the new car up her ass, stay with her dad and ill get the fuck out of here with my cats and my guitars/amp/pedals and leave everything else and go stay with my dad until i get my own place.

update: no replies but i guess i'm acting emotionally; thoughts feelings then actions and i went straight to actions, guilty of the same thing she is. Fuck. Wish things were easier and hindsight werent so clear but that's how it goes. Maybe this post will help someone else, think i got it under control otherwise. Any advice is still appreciated though.

Last edited:
Who prescribes her dexedrine, a psychiatrist or her primary care physician? The reason I ask is that these things need to be reported to a psychiatrist. I'm sure the therapist is helpful but I think your gf prolly needs more help than a therapist alone is able to provide right now.

I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not going to sit here and pretend I have the answers. Alls I'm saying is that your gf needs the help of a psychiatrist. Whether it is her psychiatrist or the local hospital Emergency Room doesn't really matter. If she is having a breakdown and you can't persuade her to get professional help, then you will have some difficult decisions to make. If she tries to overdose or goes for a weapon, call 9-1-1. She may be mad at you for a little while, but at least she'll be alive and mad.

Anyone who threatens suicide over the possibility of house guests is a shitheap.

I don't understand why so many people with emotional issues are prescribed stimulants. I'm sorry, call me old-school but ADHD can be a bullshit diagnosis. I'm not saying people don't suffer from it but honestly this shit didn't exist 30 years ago. It's too easy for doctors to give medications of all sorts willy-nilly and then the patients go off the rails. Which could be a reason why she's acting irrationally. Like someone else suggested, she needs a psychiatric evaluation because her behavior is troubling.

^ I agree, the Dexedrine often causes more problems than it solves. True for everyone I have ever known who is prescribed it and takes their medication as directed.

Too many people in the same space equals trouble. I think she might be too unstable for that.

Too many people in the same space equals trouble. I think she might be too unstable for that.
Yes she is acting unstable and I doubt it has anything to do with impending houseguests. This stuff doesn't occur out of the blue.

I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not going to sit here and pretend I have the answers. Alls I'm saying is that your gf needs the help of a psychiatrist. Whether it is her psychiatrist or the local hospital Emergency Room doesn't really matter. If she is having a breakdown and you can't persuade her to get professional help, then you will have some difficult decisions to make. If she tries to overdose or goes for a weapon, call 9-1-1. She may be mad at you for a little while, but at least she'll be alive and mad.

Absolutely.

This goes well beyond relationship issues, and it is not something that you are qualified for or capable of handling on your own. She needs to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

that script she has for amphetamines needs to be stopped asap. suicidal ideation is a side effect of stimulants/psychiatric medication and is a reason to stop said meds.

thanks guys i haven't had any time to be on BL lately but i greatly appreciate the replies.

her psychiatrist scripts her the dexedrine and he's kind of an in you go, out with a script kinda guy. He also scripts my meds and personally i think he is a bit fucked but i do have ADD anyhow but shit i think anyone could get 100mg/day of addy/dex/MPH no problem from any psychiatrist. The whole industry is a bit messed up but these medications do help tremendously for myself.

anyway, update: shit's been okay the last few days, no suicide threats in a long time, last week there was a ton of tension/resentment between us but i think it's been worked out. She reduced her dose to 40mg/day, once in the morning, i tell her that'll cause mood swings itself but i think she wants to switch meds but also doesn't want to lose a precious dexedrine script either, it's the gold here for AD/HD.

Much of her issues stem from a lack of control so she tries to exert control over everything in life but of course that never works out and it just cycles but i've helped her to recognize the cycles, not antagonize her when i see the signs and back off a bit. It's always just stupid misunderstandings, sometimes we end up in huge fights over the difference between will and can't lol. Anyhow, she seems a lot more grounded now, not going to go crazy at least and there aren't any more threats of suicide. Mindfulness on my part has helped, i try to pass some info off to her about mindfulness, digging deep into the psyche, going over traumatic memories and letting go of negative emotions but doesn't always get interpreted the way i intend.

She definitely has ADHD but also is prone to OCD type tendencies which are rooted in her childhood. Guess we'll just keep going to therapy and work shit out, doubt she'll throw her dex script away but hopefully if the root issues get solved then the side effects of the meds shouldn't be as bad.