• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting Tonsils removed, doc wants me off Methadone...

Methacodone

Bluelighter
So I went in to my primary doctors office about a month ago to get my tonsils checked out, because they're getting more worse as I age.
I get really bad tonsil stones that come out of them that give me really bad breath and gets my tonsils really irritated and they even bleed at times.
So he gave me a referral to see a doctor who specializes with the throat.
I actually went and saw him this past Friday..
He told me there is no cure for this, the only options are steroids to skrink them, and antibiotics for the tonsil stones.
He says those meds will take care of them, but once you're off, you're back where you started from, so he recommended surgery to remove them permanently.

He told me this surgery is VERY painful, one of the most painful surgeries he gives to his patients. I gave him a worried/scared look after he said that, but he said don't worry, we give a lot of pain meds for this surgery.
All of a sudden, I have the biggest sense of relief in my mind, haha.

My surgery is in a couple of weeks, and my doctor knows I'm on Methadone.
He told me, he doesn't like Methadone as a pain med, he told me to get off of it, and he's going to prescribe me ZOHYDRO ER 50mg 2x daily, and 10/325 Percocet 4x daily for breakthrough pain.
He said this is a brand new pain med that he REALLY likes. (As if I didn't know :p, hahah). It's pure Hydrocodone Extended release with no APAP.
He's giving me the strongest dose they come in, 50mg. Because he knows my tolerance is super high from the Methadone. That's why he also threw in the 10mg percs. So for sure I wouldn't get into W/D and take care of the pain.

So yeah, I'll be getting off Methadone completely in a couple weeks. He's even willing to taper me down when I'm ready to do so. YEAH!!!

My question is, have any of you come across these yet? The zohydro's? I'm so EXCITED about trying these. I LOVE hydrocodone to start with, 50mg in ONE pill without APAP? This is a dream come true for me!!!

Do you guys know If they're snortable? Or smokeable?
I know they come in capsule form, with very little powder inside them, that's what I heard/read online.

MAN, I CANNOT wait to get my hands on these.

There is no re-fills on CII drugs, but can give a 90 day supply at a time.
So that's 360 10mg Percocet's and 180 50mg ZoHydro's. COME UP OR WHAT? hehe.

I've seen em before. They were in caps and beads. I didn't try it my buddy did and he said his tolerance is high but two 20mg he felt very good.

Wow, just 40mg and he felt good?

Is his tolerance as big as mine?

I'm currently on 90mg of Methadone, and I feel good with absolutely no W/D whatsoever.

I'm getting switched to 100mg ZoHydro and 40mg of Oxycodone daily.

Well, there's no doubt that those are pretty damn awesome pain meds you'll be getting. Especially 50 mg ER hydro...just one of those pills could provide a relatively opiate naive individual with over 10 strong highs if IVed. Percs are one of my favorites as well, and are the first opiate I ever tried (though it was prescribed legitimately to me). I've never actually seen 10 mg percs though - just the regular 5/325's.

That said....First of all, hydro will unfortunately do little to nothing for you if you have high tolerance from daily methadone dosing. I once banged 3 of the white 8 mg dillies at once for a 24 mg shot, and it actually precipitated mild withdrawal! Imagine my reaction to that...it was in no way psychological either, because I was expecting a good high which not only never came, but my pupils got huge and I started sweating. Thankfully, this lasted only an hour or so because its half-life is so short.

Anyways, neither of those pills will work for you until you've been off the 'done for a fairly long time. That is NOT going to be pretty, I'm afraid. Methadone withdrawal is consistently feared and rightly so; it's almost always ranked as the second worst drug to withdraw from (the first of course being benzos). If you need the surgery and have no choice, you're sadly in for several weeks to months of hell. Then again, if you DO manage to quit entirely and you have a lot of those pills prescribed, you're gonna be pretty damn happy. Hydromorphone in particular offers the best rush of all commonly available opioids.

EDIT - sorry, I shouldn't have said it isn't worth it. It is - simply because you know for sure what your reward will be for withdrawing from it. This alone should significantly reduce or eliminate psychological withdrawal, and probably even physical to some extent. Whenever I binged on opes and ran out, the most psychological crushing part of the experience was knowing that I could no longer get them or afford them, and had to be resigned to trying to live life for the next several months sick and craving them desperately.

Last edited:
I'm seriously jealous of that Rx of yours though lol. That will be an insane amount of hydro, which I've always found to be difficult or impossible to find. I did know a guy who regularly got the red hydromorph contin caps though, but he was a total asshole, they were expensive as fuck, and he didn't always have them. They were also a pain in the ass to crush up and required a mortar and pestle to do properly.

But 50 mg hydro per pill and 180 pills? Man...that is NINE THOUSAND MG of hydromorphone, not to mention all those percs! No wonder you're excited. I would have a god damn kidney removed if I knew I would be getting this Rx haha

I admit I haven't looked in to it but I was always under the impression that intravenous hydrocodone can cause pulmonary edema..is this true or perhaps I'm thinking of codeine?

Wow, just 40mg and he felt good?

Is his tolerance as big as mine?

I'm currently on 90mg of Methadone, and I feel good with absolutely no W/D whatsoever.

I'm getting switched to 100mg ZoHydro and 40mg of Oxycodone daily.

100mg hydrocodone and 40mg of oxycodone is much much less then 90mg of methadone daily in potency. You are gonna be sick.

I'm seriously jealous of that Rx of yours though lol. That will be an insane amount of hydro, which I've always found to be difficult or impossible to find. I did know a guy who regularly got the red hydromorph contin caps though, but he was a total asshole, they were expensive as fuck, and he didn't always have them. They were also a pain in the ass to crush up and required a mortar and pestle to do properly.

But 50 mg hydro per pill and 180 pills? Man...that is NINE THOUSAND MG of hydromorphone, not to mention all those percs! No wonder you're excited. I would have a god damn kidney removed if I knew I would be getting this Rx haha

Zohydro is hydrocodone not hydromorphone. It's about 10x weaker and cannot be injected I believe as it will cause massive histamine release which could lead to death.

oops you're right - my mistake. I read it as hydromorphone for some reason.

Yeah, in that case you're definitely gonna be at least mildly sick at some point...sorry, bro :( If it's hydrocodone, you do NOT want to inject it, and besides, although it is much weaker than hydromorphone (Dilaudid), it's by no means worthless. Your percs will be the more powerful drug however, as oxycodone is very roughly one third stronger than hydrocodone. I had only one or two experiences with hydrocodone, taking 20 mg with friends and just relaxing. It was a beautiful experience and since I had no opiate tolerance and was completely new to the experience at the time, it was all the more incredible. I found it to be just as good as percs at the time, but like I said, since my experience was very limited I was not in a good position to compare it to anything else. Hell, even TRAMADOL made me nod and was very euphoric to me when opiates were brand new to me. Methadone is a very potent drug, though. What else can be taken day after day that is strong enough such that you don't build much tolerance to it and end up requiring more and going into eventual withdrawal with a static dose?

I'm on a high dose of methadone - 220 mg, and I still get highm when I take it. If I double up and take 440, I will be significantly high all day and into the night - especially potentiated with diphenhydramine. It's great, and also takes away most cravings for heroin or other opiates since the actual subjective experience I get from it is just as good as any random recreational opiate (although not the same as IV Dilaudid or heroin of course, but definitely analogous to a high dose of oxy)

100mg hydrocodone and 40mg of oxycodone is much much less then 90mg of methadone daily in potency. You are gonna be sick.

pbuilder-

Hydrocodone is realistically weaker than Hydromorphone.

BUT, both taken orally, Hydrocodone is MUCH stronger than Hydromorphone.
But you're right, if IV'd the Hydromorphone would knock the shit outa Hydrocodone.

Also, those doses will probably not be as strong as my 90mg of Methadone.

But he said that's just a start of a dose, he has no problem raising my dose on both or switch me to stronger meds if I don't get any pain relief or if I go into W/D.

He told me himself 90mg of Methadone is A LOT.
and he knows about W/D and all that stuff, he just wants to start out low and work myself up.
He said you probably wont go into W/D with these doses, but you wont be as comfortable as you want to be.

He asked me what I thought would be good doses, or what drugs would best fit your needs?
I told him, Oxycodone has always done me well.
He said the med he had in mind was exactly Oxycodone.

He wants to meet with me again tomorrow on Monday.

We'll see where things end up.

I'm going to try and stick to those 50mg Hydro's and get 30mg Roxy's on top.

IMO that'll be perfect, 100mg of Zohydro and 120mg of Oxycodone daily.

That sounds tasty. :D

I don't think 50 or 60 mg of hydro at a time will even keep you about of withdraw rather yet provide pain relief. If I was you I would start stocking up on heroin just in case.

pbuilder-

Hydrocodone is realistically weaker than Hydromorphone.

BUT, both taken orally, Hydrocodone is MUCH stronger than Hydromorphone.
But you're right, if IV'd the Hydromorphone would knock the shit outa Hydrocodone.

Also, those doses will probably not be as strong as my 90mg of Methadone.

But he said that's just a start of a dose, he has no problem raising my dose on both or switch me to stronger meds if I don't get any pain relief or if I go into W/D.

He told me himself 90mg of Methadone is A LOT.
and he knows about W/D and all that stuff, he just wants to start out low and work myself up.
He said you probably wont go into W/D with these doses, but you wont be as comfortable as you want to be.

He asked me what I thought would be good doses, or what drugs would best fit your needs?
I told him, Oxycodone has always done me well.
He said the med he had in mind was exactly Oxycodone.

He wants to meet with me again tomorrow on Monday.

We'll see where things end up.

I'm going to try and stick to those 50mg Hydro's and get 30mg Roxy's on top.

IMO that'll be perfect, 100mg of Zohydro and 120mg of Oxycodone daily.

That sounds tasty. :D

I hope he's willing to work with you, and if so that is good. But as of right now straight up I'll be honest you are going to be in withdrawals pretty bad with only that much hydro and oxy. Even at 120mgs of oxy a day and 100mg of hydro you may not feel great, methadone is seriously potent and jacks up your tolerance fast. 90mg methadone is equivelant to like 400mg of hydrocodone.

Yep, you're gonna be withdrawing going from 90mg/day methadone to 100mg/day hydrocodone and 40mg/day oxycodone. If it were me I'd start tapering off the methadone now, and try to get roxicet 15s or 30s and 4-6 a day. 100mg a day of hydrocodone ER is 4mg/hour, which isnt much at all for someone as tolerant to opiates as you. 4 perc 10s isnt even a 15mg roxy every 8 hours.

btw, it is impossible to go from 90 to 0mg/day of methadone in a few weeks w/o feeling like shit. Best bet is get down to 10mg/day or so and skip a few days before the surgery so that the newly prescribed meds actually work.

it at least seems you have a retty decent doc if you ask me.Not like the stupid f3ck who wanted me off 70-90 mg of diazepam before i could start a methadone program....seeing how that could have worked out!
hope you find a good combo to quit the done and keep wd and pain in check
Good luck, bro!

Having a methadone tolerance of any kind is going to ruin your "fun" time with legally prescribed opioids. Believe me, I was a month off MMT when I went for a deviated septum operation. I was getting 2mg per hour sustained, with 7 button presses per hour at .2mg hydromorphone equivalent per and I never once felt even a little bit sedated. I understand hydromorphone is a short-acting opioid, but in high enough quantities it's knocked me out for up to 8 hours at a time. I was very disappointed.

Doctors tend to always undershoot how much pain control methadone dependent patients are going to need. There seems to be a threshold most don't want to cross and like the above poster said, 100mg of hydrocodone is child's play after being on 90mg of methadone.

you can easily taper off the methadone starting NOW and by the time you have these tonsils pulled you may be under 50MG/dose and you'd be fine if you were to get 100mg of Zohydro and 120mg of Oxycodone daily. I was on 120MG methadone and knew I had to go away for 2 weeks and had no choice but to GET OFF and GET OFF QUICK, so I dropped from 120MG down to 50MG over the course of a month and a half and then just did Roxi 30's (usually 4 at a time; would shoot theses) and still get a good rush.

nowadays I am on bupe/sub but still play around w/ dope here and there. but wouldnt mind TRYING these Zohydro that you mention; are they just as good as dilaudid!? I was scripted dilaudid when I had brain surgery years back and half my fucking head was cut open; Dr. scripted me 24MG/day knowing I was a heroin addict and I burned through those 90 pills/monthly within a week or so.

personally, I think you'd be fine, and even enjoy this, if you were able to drop from 90MG of Methadone to about 40MG Methadone prior to ur surgery. from there you can just go right to the other pain killers and still be OK.

Just got back from my appointment, with some relief.
I told him getting off methadone probably isn't the best idea, because of tolerance issues. I told him I would need a lot more than what you offered me, to avoid being sick, and getting pain relief after surgery.

He told me, yeah you're probably right. He said this is what you do, taper down starting tomorrow, go down 10mg a week, until you hit 40mg, and stop there. So you'll still be on Methadone at 40mg, and I'll also raise your Oxy dose to the 15mg Roxy IR. So in the end I'll be on-

40mg Methadone
100mg Hydrocodone
60mg Oxycodone

I think that's awesome!! This is honestly a dream come true for me, not that I'm getting surgery, but I'm getting my favorite opiates PRESCRIBED to me...FUCK YEAH!!
He also said, if that's not enough, don't hesitate to let me know, and he'll either raise my doses, or give me stronger opiates.

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!

I get excited in a very morbid way when I have to have surgery. I've had 13 major surgeries since birth and hospitals don't scare me in the slightest, so I usually think of it as a little vacation. I also stuck my e-cig in my backpack before I went in, so I could get nicotine, which I crave hard when I'm on opioids.

You'll also probably get some hydromorphone in your IV while you're in post-op, that's always nice. I'd pick the hydromorphone over fentanyl any day and those both tend to be very common for post-op recovery. Getting the strong stuff is generally a given for someone who is opioid-tolerant already. I personally don't see fentanyl as being euphoric, it's just powerful and sedating. Getting the strong stuff is generally a given for someone who is opioid-tolerant already.

See, the thing about CII Narcotics/Opiates or any CII drug is that you can't get any re-fills what so ever. You have to visit your doctor every time to get a re-fill. It says that even on the Rx, 'No Re-fills on Schedule 2'. But I'm not trippen, my doctor is super cool.

Yeah, this is my 1st major surgery. But I've had other little ones like, getting wisdom teeth removed as a kid, haha. I also had to get my stomach checked out, I had an 'Endoscopy procedure' where they put you to sleep, exactly like a surgery, and they stick a tube down your throat all the way down to your stomach, which a tiny camera on the bottom to see my stomach. When I woke up from that, it was really fucking painful actually, they dosed me with 2mg Hydromorphone, IV of course. I got a nice little rush from it, I was on 80mg of Methadone already, at the time.

But, I'm still going to have to get the 30mg Roxy's. I fucking love the 15's, they're just as good but of course half the strength.
I'm pretty sure, after I finish my surgery, my doctor is going to up my Oxy dose to the 30's, and probably switch the Zohydro's to the Oxycontin 60's. But the bummer is, I fucking hate the new OP Oxycontin's. If we were still in 2008, these scripts would be beyond a dream come true for me. OC 60's and ROXY 30's!?!? Oh yes please!!!!!!!!!! That's why I want to kind of keep my Zohydro's...but if they wont be enough, OP's, here I come. haha.