• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Getting through Adderall IR binge w/d again, not sure about my safety, Inderal?

fixedatzero

Greenlighter
My doctor prescribed me 5mg of Adderall amphetamine salts (IR) and said to take 2 daily with a count of 60. I have been on this medication before to treat fatigue and sleepiness from untreatable depression and I abused it. I do remember being at a very high dosage last time, sometimes taking up to 90mg a day and struggling with quitting but I managed to do so because I believed the withdrawal/crash wasn't worth the relief the meds gave me from my depression. I remember the crashes being more intense than the long-term withdrawal, which was basically just sleeping all day, feeling depressed but eventually I made it out.

About two years go by (now) and I've fallen back into a dark place and I fought with the idea about asking my doctor to prescribe it for me again because my depression never actually improved and I felt like I was at the end of my rope. The doctor put me back on the 5mg to be taken twice a day. I thought I could possibly control it this time (stupid!) but I've been taking these 5mg pills like they were candy. I just had it filled yesterday, 60 ct. I have 24 left. So I guess you could say I took around 18 5mg pills a day so far. So 90mg in a full day. It's truly unbelieveable how I let this happen again. I'm not entirely sure if I'm safe because I'm currently overweight with blood pressure that's not been known to spike.

My last pill had to be a few hours ago and I feel sick, my muscles ache, my jaw aches from grinding, I'm nauseous, I don't want to eat, skin is burning, seeing things move that aren't moving, the anxiety is horrendous, I feel paranoid, I feel angry, I feel worthless, and I do remember this part. I'm trying to keep my cool this time around but the only thing that makes it stop is taking 10mg more and if I remember correctly, that stopped working after a while. The relief would not return and I would just feel tolerance.

I have a drug called Inderal (Propranolol) which is for treating blood pressure. Is it possible these could aid me? Is there anything in particular I should eat to keep my energy? I've been staying hydrated. I have access to my daily klonopin (2mg a day) but I'm not sure the best time to take it would be. Please help me through this again so I can actually seek addiction help!

tl;dr:

- Prescribed 5mg Adderall IR twice a day
- Already went through 36 pills in 2 days
- Worried about dropping dead! What is the likelyhood? Do I belong in ER? My heart isn't currently beating rapidly but possibly could?
- Wondering if Inderal (Propranolol) beta-blocker could help some crash/withdrawal symptoms
- Any tips to get me through this would be very much appreciated

Thank you

First, the benzo would be the better choice to chill you out. Clonazepam and Adderall are prescribed together all the time.

I highly suggest you do not take the propranolol at this time. It can cause an adrenal blockade and really cause you problems.

Keep drinking fluids ( water, Gatorade) to replenish the fluids you lost.

If your heart isn't racing, I'd say ride it out. If you want things to end quicker, eat vitamin C. Your body will rid itself of the amphetamine quicker.

You really do not need to taper off amphetamines. Go lay down and sleep it off. Afa your remaining 24 pills, 24 is better then zero.

After you clearly are off the amphetamine, it should be safe to return to the propranolol.

If you are are unable to control your usage, then it is time to stop the medicine entirely, or perhaps switch to a less abuseable stimulant.

If you start having chest pain or cold sweats, etc, go to the ER.

Lastly, focus on something relaxing, read a book, just about anything to take your mind off what is going on.

Thank you for the reply. I did most of what you said but could only find a multi-vitamin. I also forced myself to eat food. I was able to sleep better than the first night. My muscles are aching, I feel drowsy, anxious and still a bit nauseous but I'm glad I was able to get some sleep regardless and it wasn't too uncomfortable. Hopefully the depression from the withdrawal doesn't last but it would be hard to tell because I was so depressed in the first place.

What goes up, must come down. You simply had a shitty comedown, which I also have found Adderall to have, especially from high doses.

It may take a bit of time, but you will get back to normal. If you still have depressive issues, let your doctor know.

The comedown on Adderall can be pretty bad. I usually try to time it so I have some benzos and/or kratom for the comedown. Weed can help too, but it makes me anxious so I only smoke after taking benzos.

I think you need to do one or two things.

1. Talk to your doctor, tell them the 5mg wasn't enough and you might get prescribed XR instead of IR which in my experience is not worth the hassle of abusing and works very well if taken correctly. There are also other medications that have many of the same benefits without the abuse potential of adderall.
2. The fact that you did abuse them in such an aggressive manner is an indication that you should really be seeking therapy (if not already). In conjunction with the proper medication it can work wonders. But you have to give in, open up and explore getting to the root of the problem.

Not trying to be judgemental. I was an opiate addict for years and therapy and proper use of prescribed medication got me through it.

I am going through a horrible comedown from Adderall IR now and have only been up for a day. Usually when I take the XRs I am okay, but I am feeling hot also and having anxiety and am finding that a beer is helping calm me down. I would not recommend continuing to use adderall and drinking together though, because you do not realize how much you are drinking on it due to it being a stimulant. Also Benzos are good in emergency cases, but have a very high potential for dependency, so you will only want to use that as a last resort.

Desipramine or Protriptyline might be worth trying, for the fatigue. works on pain as well. Just watch your resting heart rate and BP at high doses. Id stay clear of dopaminergics if you get hooked on them so easily. I have CF also and I made it a point to never take these meds for fatigue, only for ADD. Tolerance builds really fast.

If OP actually needs an ADD medication, a possible choice is Vyvanse. It can be abused, but the fact that it lasts a long time and has a different method of action, may help curb the abuse while still giving OP a chance at better focus.