• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Getting surgery need alp cuz I’m already in withdrawal from it is it safe to take my dose?

The anesthesiologist is obviously a well trained physician in his specialty. It's not like they give you one blast and that lasts for the entire surgery. They monitor you closely, checking your pules, oxygen levels, and that your heart is beating in the proper rythm. Everyone is different and require differrent amounts for a successful job. They are going to give you whatever it take, within reason, to sedate you for the surgery. It is generally a cocktail of drugs such as a Benzodiazepine, Opiod and I once actually got propofol before my surgery. It's my honest opinion that you will be okay,

I would be doing the wrong thing if I told you to try to do this on your own. Anesthesia is serious business, so the safe, responsible thing to do, would be to tell the anesthesiologist. I once had surgery when I was using Opioids previously and I told the ansthesiologist this and he was just like "no worries buddy we do this all the time, we'll get you to the right spot". They did and I ended up with hydromorphone 4's for my recovery because of my Opioid addiction. It was the anesthesiologist who made sure that happended.
Yeah, I was going to say go ahead based on that type of info but I honestly don’t think it’s safe purely on the fact that I need to consider there have been other things taken too that OP has possibly forgotten or omitted because it’s something daily that’s taken without much thought. A benzo in a mix is a dangerous drug.

Yes anesthesiologist’s are always there monitoring the situation and they don’t just give you a drug and pray that lasts the surgery, it’s done during an ongoing process of IV infusion depending on how deep you are. Of course their job is to monitor you but when doing lots of surgeries and if they’d no background on previous drug abuse, they might be thrown for a loop if you’re dropping off. I’ve met quite a few and I’m not sure I’d want one (who’s a GSA) trying to troubleshoot on the spot.

Yea everybody, if I was unclear, the Harm Reduction answer to this question is to be totally honest with your anesthesiologist. What I started with was an attempt at practical guidance in the event that our OP will dose compulsively despite the risks.

Its really easy to tell someone to do something, but we are drug abusers. Some people sell their children for dope. So I don't see it as impossible for self control to fail here. It is fairly short acting. Thats all you have working for you.

Please try to do the right thing here buddy. We are all right behind you!

Last edited:
The anesthesiologist is obviously a well trained physician in his specialty. It's not like they give you one blast and that lasts for the entire surgery. They monitor you closely, checking your pules, oxygen levels, and that your heart is beating in the proper rythm. Everyone is different and require differrent amounts for a successful job. They are going to give you whatever it take, within reason, to sedate you for the surgery. It is generally a cocktail of drugs such as a Benzodiazepine, Opiod and I once actually got propofol before my surgery. It's my honest opinion that you will be okay,

I would be doing the wrong thing if I told you to try to do this on your own. Anesthesia is serious business, so the safe, responsible thing to do, would be to tell the anesthesiologist. I once had surgery when I was using Opioids previously and I told the ansthesiologist this and he was just like "no worries buddy we do this all the time, we'll get you to the right spot". They did and I ended up with hydromorphone 4's for my recovery because of my Opioid addiction. It was the anesthesiologist who made sure that happended.
I can’t say you’re wrong whatsoever and I truly thank you for telling me the right thing to do

and when and if I need another surgery I will follow this advice because it would be the safest and smartest thing to do I just already have a fear of hospitals

and nobody really knows about my recreational use in my life already so I’ve never really known how to bring it up

but there really is no right way I suppose, ya just have to bite the bullet and hope for some genuine understanding from people instead of just assuming everyone is gonna judge you harshly and not help you at all

I completely agree with everything said 🙏🏼

particular with an anesthesiologist considering they all have different opinions on what to use and how much to use to to keep you sedated

Last edited:
I can’t say you’re wrong whatsoever and I truly thank you for telling me the right thing to do

and when and if I need another surgery I will follow this advice because it would be the safest and smartest thing to do I just already have a fear of hospitals

and nobody really knows about my recreational use in my life already so I’ve never really known how to bring it up

but there really is no right way I suppose, ya just have to bite the bullet and hope for some genuine understanding from people instead of just assuming everyone is gonna judge you harshly and not help you at all

I completely agree with everything said 🙏🏼

particular with an anesthesiologist considering they all have different opinions on what to use and how much to use to to keep you sedated
Take this as rhetorical, I know of anaesthetist, but anaesthesiologist not. But it appears to be a word, so...

Take this as rhetorical, I know of anaesthetist, but anaesthesiologist not. But it appears to be a word, so...
Fuck. You had me going there for a minute. To the point where I had to look it up. Honestly: I'd never thought about it. And needless to say: there's the little issue of American vs. The Queen's English! :)

From a quick "what is the difference between an anaesthetist and anaesthesiologist" Google Search:

"The major difference between these two professions is that anesthesiologist are medical doctors that administer anesthesia, while nurse anesthetists are registered nurses who may assist or collaborate with doctors in administering anesthesia, or may work entirely independently as they administer anesthesia."

Last edited:
If you do not have underlying conditions then yes, take your normal dose. Dont double up but usually you'll be fine. You have to have a regular check up and look at your history (seizures, epilepsy, weird reactions) and if you're A OK dose one before surgery if you're nervous. If anything you'll be drowsy a little longer. Make sure you have a ride home. Good luck
I’m getting surgery in about 3 hours for my broken hand and they’re gonna knock me out
Is it safe for me to take at least half my normal dose?

Especially considering all different anesthesiologist use different cocktails to knock you out