• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Getting of Gabapentin (lyrica)

sandrio

Greenlighter
Hello I need help from someone who has abused and withdrawed from gabapentin or lyrica, I wass abusing it and takeing for 3 years everyday at least 5 thats about 1500ML or more, I started geting of it and for

Now i stoped complitly, went cold turkey, its 3rd Month

I feel horrible, nightmares, crying, cant get put of bed, anxiety to the roof, depression, depresonalisation and list goes on

I cant say that its getting better, if anyone who has done this or knows someone please tell me your story, will I ever get better?

it gets better - you just need to get over the post-acute withdrawal symptoms.
these may last anywhere from a week to amonth, but it does get better. :)

It's sort of a cultural myth that withdrawal is a fairly short process. Most MD's and those in the medical field in general will tell you that withdrawal, depending of course on the substance, is a process that lasts a few days. In reality, the post-acute withdrawal phase is actually the hardest for many people. It's not just a struggle to stay hydrated and to sleep at that point, by then, you have to get back to living your life while not being quite 100%.

The good news though, as Keeping has said, is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's not easy and it's not fun, not to mention the chance to mess up and become re-dependent is always just around the corner. You can handle this my friend, just give it time.

Can I ask what medications are available to you/that you are familiar with? What are your worst symptoms? Let's start there and try to make a plan.

The acute gabapentin withdrawal symptoms, for myself, are marked by severe vertigo and vomitting (I could not pivot my head on my shoulders for 48 hours). I am down to 300mg per day after being on 1500mg for about 10 years. A very slow taper (for me, 6 months) is the only way to outrun this and the post-acute phase, even for a 3 year habit. You may want to re-instate the med. For some gabapentin withdrawal is seriously troubling. I only have experienced the acute symptoms I mentioned when I ran out of the capsules too early and could not get a timely refill.

OP: Are you referring to pregabalin (Lyrica), gabapentin (Nuerontin), or both?

I was on 4g for a little over a year and when I dropped to 2g I experienced the same symptoms you described. Over 2 months I tapered down to 400mg, stayed there for 2 more weeks, continued dropping till I was at 100mg and then switched to 0.5mg / day alprazolam for 6 more weeks and was able to cease everything after that.

I do admit it's not the best idea to use benzos as they can have horrible W/D too, but the sheer hell of the GabaP W/D helped reinforce my discipline with the benzo use. A longer acting benzo would probably be a better idea but xanax was all I had access to. If you have access to even 50 or 100mg a day of gaba and taper from there you might save yourself some hell. It seems to effect everyone a little differently but I used up sick days, had to avoid social engagements and even lost a friend over it. If you decide to stick with the Cold Turkey method, some people have had luck with Magnesium supplements, Epsom salt baths (mag sulfate) and valerian root.

Here is a Gabapentin Withdrawal Megathread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/448441-Gabapentin-withdrawal-any-advice