• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Getting More Mileage out of Methylphenidate IR

necropolis

Bluelighter
Hello all,

I am experiencing some difficulties as of late with my ADHD meds - more specifically, methylphenidate IR 20s...

Does anybody have some tips and tricks to get more out of this stuff? I have a severe case of ADHD that only responds to strong stuff.

To make a long story a bit shorter, my psychiatrist (I had to find a new one - way too long of a story to discuss in detail) put me back on what has always been my personal favorite for dealing with this crap, Ritalin IR 20 mg tabs. I take a total 60 mg per day.
What sucks ass is that I typically have to take 30-40 mg just to get going in the morning - (I'll get distracted enough to not even get in the shower without some extra dopamine transmission) and then I just crap out a couple of hours later, only to have
just 20 mg left for the rest of the day. Insurance will not pay for more than 60 mg/day. It is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that 60 mg/day is the max recommended by the original manufacturer (CIBA-Geigy). Why is that, anyway... if people
can take a Concerta 54 or even 72 and still have to supplement with 10-20 mg IR in the later part of the day, then why the hell can't we take 80-100 mg/day of methylphenidate IR???

Anyways I am rambling on too much so here's what I'm driving at: does anybody know of a good way to smooth out the "crash" that happens with this shit? I'm not intending to use it recreationally... I do occasionally save a few and then binge on weekends, which is
just plain dumb since I'm reducing the overall efficacy for my ADHD symptoms by doing it. I should cut that crap out, but it's too tempting sometimes.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.. and my apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm just too damned lazy to do a search right now.

I was once on 40mg of focalin a day, on top of which i had negotiated a 30mg daytrana transdermal patch. I used to snort the focalin and would pop the patch in my mouth. Despite being labeled as 30mg, the patch actually contains around 80mg of methylphenidate (not all of it gets delivered transdermally). Since focalin = 2x racemic methylphenidate, my total methylphenidate dose was 160mg/day. Needless to say i was always on the verge of stimulant psychosis. Felt much better after I quit taking it.

But i get it. It is definitely hard to get going in the morning and methylphenidate used to be my coffee.

You can eat a light healthy fatty breakfast (eggs, kielbasa, toast, etc) prior to taking your dose

Taking Methylphenidate with a meal speeds absorption

Also, coingesting ethanol with Methylphenidate increases the active dextro isomer by 40%….turning your Ritalin into Focalin. I like 2-3oz of Jin in ginger ale

You’ll definitely feel your Ritalin 20mg IR tablets more

Is that true or is it metabolized into ethylphenidate in body a la cocaine?