• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting 100% sober

Malpal0217

Greenlighter
So almost 4 years clean from IV drugs I’m married have 3 wonderful kids. I smoke weed full time have for years. I take meds for bi polar sleep and anxiety. I am almost off my methadone 19mg 2mg every two week taper and I’m ready to quit EVERYTHING even nicotine (vape).
I haven’t been completely sober since I was 13. Between pills, mental health meds and more. I have all these diagnosis over eight of them and I think maybe starting from complete scratch could shed some light on a lot of things in my life and I’m also in a stable enough point in my life that I think I’m able to do this. To some that may seem unrealistic to quit everything but to me this is everything. if you have any tips, I’d love it.

Good luck brother.

Keep a healthy diet, eat clean. Exercise very day. keep busy and immerse yourself in your work, business, use, family and any hobbies.

You can do it cuz. It may suck for a while but the tables will turn.

First off, congrats on almost getting off your methadone! You should be proud of yourself, that's no small feat! Like @garygroundwork said, diet and exercise is key. If you eat garbage you are gonna feel like garbage, give your body the nutrients it needs and it will make a world of difference. Maybe not immediately but over time you will notice that your energy level will be much higher.
As far as exercise, don't go balls to the wall straight out of the gate. Trying to go big is only gonna make you want to not exercise. Start small and work your way up to more intense workouts. Start out with something easy like a short walk or bike ride. Get outside and get some vitamin D from the sun! Every few days or week, do a little more. It's all about developing new routines.
When I got clean, the anhedonia was the worst part, I couldn't get any joy from anything. Not sure if you are experiencing that from getting off methadone, but if so, don't worry it'll pass. Your brain just needs some time to level out.
You're gonna have to find something to do that you enjoy to fill the hole that methadone is gonna leave. You are gonna have more time on your hands because you don't have to go to the clinic all the time and you don't have to spend time worrying about your next dose, so figure out what you like to do. I was lucky because skiing was always my passion and it's a solid workout so I killed two birds with one stone, but it doesn't really matter what you get into. As long as it is something constructive or enjoyable, dive on in!
12-step taught me that giving back to other addicts is the best feeling in the world, and personally, I agree. Maybe get involved in a 12-step program or any volunteer position that helps out people that are down on their luck.