• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Gene mutations and associated terminology - self education?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Looking at gene mutations in methylation, COMT and MTHFr enzymes - but I'm being confronted with unfamiliar terminology, in addition to nasty ass looking strings of numbers/code associated with each gene.

homozygous

Heterozygous

Alleles (normal/risk)

In addition to interpreting genetic assay based reports,

DNA nucleotides

SNP's

Gene therapy

Basically somewhere where I can concisely bring myself up to speed on this terminology?

I've found the core principles of gene expression/cycles etc are quite straight forward - but the associated terminology can be heinous and difficult to interpret correctly.
Just needs something to clarify the terms relative to the functional concepts?

Book title?
Wiki page?
Paper?
Website?
etc?

Try youtube use "biology" then term. You should find lessons at all different levels from basic to advanced for the terms.

Lots of decent courses.

I disliked my genetics textbook and usually ended up using wiki and some other random resources. Had a genomics one that wasn't too bad. Maybe introduction to genetic analysis, or principles of genetics could be possibilities for formal textbooks

Molecular biology- I liked Lodish for experimental evidence / connection, but Alberts can be more clear. Very old version available on NCBI https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21054/