Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals GC’s Crude Mescaline Extraction

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
This is a method I’ve talked about before but was hesitant until recently to post because it didn’t work well for all cacti types, most but not all. Now I have found an extra step to ensure a clean end product. This is what I personally use for my own sessions, A/B purified Mescaline while easy to get down lacks the beauty and character of a crude preparation such as tea. This TEK maintains that character while bringing the dosage of material to a reasonable level for pretty much anyone to be able to consume. The end product can be fit into some capsules or reconstituted with small amount of water and drank in a shot.

—————

Take your fresh cactus and de-spine only if it’s a species with large in-the-way spines, otherwise don’t worry about it. Cut it into slices like a loaf of bread, thin as you can without making it a hassle, especially if you have a lot to cut. Once you have your slices, cut them into fourths and place into mason jar/s leaving a little room at the top.

Mix up 50/50 solution of distilled vinegar and distilled water, pour in just enough to cover the cacti material. Now let these jar/s set with occasional shaking (often as you remember) for 2-3 weeks. Once finished decant off the solution through a fine metal mesh filter, don’t try to use a coffee filter it’s too viscous.

As it pours take note of its viscosity, they’ll always have some viscosity to them but look for times where it comes out almost as a gel. (You’ll learn the more times you do this TEK.) This will be one indicator whether you’ll need to do the additional step I speak of below.

You can do a second soak on the cacti material for another 1-2wks for a yield that will equal about 30% of your first, note the second soak will pull many more impurities as well.

Take these water/vinegar extractions and dry them in a glass Pyrex tray, preferably with a heating fan to speed it up. Some fan at least, heating element or not..

Once fully dry, add a minimal amount of distilled water (you can always add more, you can’t take away less) and scrape up, stir and swirl the extract with the water to dissolve the very soluble alkaloids. It’s ok to not dissolve everything, but try to get close while using minimal amount of water to do it. Even better to use water you’ve warmed a bit over the stove. Once again take note of the viscosity, is it fairly liquid or literal snot/mucus?

Decant off solution into a taller possibly skinny container, put this in the fridge. We want to precipitate out the garbage, the acetate alkaloids are soluble enough to not precipitate. Leave for 48hrs. Upon returning very carefully decant off the solution into the glass Pyrex tray and again dry out completely.

Now that we’ve dried a second time it can either be used as is or a second step can be performed. Most of the time this second step isn’t needed, but if the cacti used has alot of fats/lipids/crap? the end extract will be much less pure and nearly impossible to reconstitute and use in water without vomiting from the cum like texture. You can scrape up the product first and see if the yield/purity seems acceptable. No matter what this next step won’t hurt.

Step 2 involves scraping up the extract best you can in the dish, then add some alcohol, methanol 99%, ethanol 96% or isopropyl 99%. A minimal amount but still more generous then the water used in the last step, the insoluble impurities are really insoluble in the alcohols so it’s not nearly as important and the alcohol will begin evaporating quickly too.

Scrape/stir/swirl the alcohol best you can, notice how the extract loses its color and becomes pale insoluble garbage while the alcohol takes on the color of the extract. Look for that color in any extract in the pan and make sure it seems fully saturated and pale of color by the time your done.

Carefully decant off this liquid, this time through a coffee filter. Expect some time for filtration, maybe 30-90min. Let it pour into a clean glass Pyrex. Once again let dry fully to have your final product.

Using this method it’s possible to get extract that usually is used in doses of 1-3g. It can often fit in 5-10 capsules or be reconstituted in an easy to take (yet still not pleasant, just nowhere near as bad) shot of liquid. Obviously YMMV with variation in cacti potency, extraction variables, etc.

In the end this is the way to do it. This has even been tried doing this the other way around with the alcohol pulls first, much more impurities come over. This is the best way to easy-to-consume crude extract.

-GC

Last edited:
any chance at a pic of the result? extremely curious

any variance for the end product for species used?

I’m can probably finally post pics again in a couple weeks but honestly it’s nothing special looking. It’ll be a golden color if more pure, browner if less pure. Tarry extract. If cleaner it’ll dry completely to a glassy state where scraping it up will give a dry powder substance. If placed into a vial immediately it will retain this glassy/powdery texture making it easy to handle, any moisture that gets to it will make it mold back together however.

There is variance with Pedros giving cleaner extract that Bridgesii on average, the second step was designed for some stubborn Bridgesii. Most Pedros do just fine with the water/vinegar extraction only.

-GC

I only have one true drug experience I want to try, one that I never checked off my list and that's a good mescaline experience. I have tasted the cactus but never tripped.

One day I will use this tek, thanks to you.

and all will be ONE

AqoB.gif

Excellent post, GC. This post seems like the right way to go for people who want to go with extraction.

[Obligatory note that mescaline synthesis is generally far more cost-effective and environmentally friendly (mescaline cacti take years to grow and most species are classified as vulnerable) than extraction from cacti.]

Excellent post, GC. This post seems like the right way to go for people who want to go with extraction.

[Obligatory note that mescaline synthesis is generally far more cost-effective and environmentally friendly (mescaline cacti take years to grow and most species are classified as vulnerable) than extraction from cacti.]

Thanks man :)

Just the lophophora species are endangered, most other Mescaline cacti are so common you could probably find one at your local big box store. PC Pedros (the weakest variety but still worth taking most the time) can grow as much as 2-3ft a year. They are one of the fastest growing cacti available.

Pachanoi and Bridgesii can be found at many succulent distributors.

-GC

Thanks man :)

Just the lophophora species are endangered, most other Mescaline cacti are so common you could probably find one at your local big box store. PC Pedros (the weakest variety but still worth taking most the time) can grow as much as 2-3ft a year. They are one of the fastest growing cacti available.

Pachanoi and Bridgesii can be found at many succulent distributors.

-GC
Fair enough. I think things are a bit different in the US than up north. Peyote is fully legal here but most of the others are legally gray - legal to grow but not possess in any harvested form. I've only ever seen peyote in shops up here, but I'm sure the others are available somewhere.

EDIT: How do you deal with potency variation, since the extract contains all alkaloids and not purified mescaline?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think things are a bit different in the US than up north. Peyote is fully legal here but most of the others are legally gray - legal to grow but not possess in any harvested form. I've only ever seen peyote in shops up here, but I'm sure the others are available somewhere.

EDIT: How do you deal with potency variation, since the extract contains all alkaloids and not purified mescaline?

Ah that makes sense I only know of US.

As for the potency variation, one of course wants to make sure the cacti their using is at least reasonably full of alkaloids. This can take some experimentation.

While the cacti I have do vary, the end extracts seem surprisingly standardized when I look back on my experiences with it. I typically take about 2g give or take of extract for what I would say is an experience of medium intensity.

Mescaline is also a drug I don’t worry too much on dosage, partially because of the variation making it difficult even if I tried. I typically take 6-12in worth of extract, with an average width Pachanoi or Bridgesii. I’m always happy with my experience, rarely is it too little or too much.

-GC

Excellent post! :) As usual.

Yeah san pedros are practically weeds in the western/desert US region... you can buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. Nowhere near endangered. Peyote is endangered, however, and very slow growing. I have never seen peyote, only san pedro and bridgesii, and peruvianus. I had 4 of them for some years, a regular san pedro, a san pedro var monstrose, a bridgesii and a peruvianus. I loved them, they grew pretty thin because I am in a forest so not enough light, but they were awesome, they had a great presence. One early Spring day I took them out and it got down to 25 degrees F that night, and in the morning I realized, rushed them inside, and within 15 minutes they unfroze and collapsed into piles of goo. I was fairly devastated, I felt like I killed some friends.

I had two big , beautiful bushy (!) salvia plants that I left outside at lunch to help with an aphid problem. A freak windstorm came through and ended them.:(

Thanks for the informative post GC.

I have a little cactus garden that I've developed a positive relationship with over the years.

I've tried your basic 50/50 method with some success. I Look forward to trying this method.

@G_Chem Is there any reason why you choose to soak the cactus in acidified water for weeks at room temperature instead of boiling it on the stove for a few hours? Is this just a convenience thing, or does this have some effect on mucilage, or some other reason?

@G_Chem Is there any reason why you choose to soak the cactus in acidified water for weeks at room temperature instead of boiling it on the stove for a few hours? Is this just a convenience thing, or does this have some effect on mucilage, or some other reason?

Convenience and the assumption it’s always best to keep a reaction as low temperature as possible. Both ways will work well, I haven’t noticed any substantial difference in potency. So whatever is easier in that regard.

-GC

Cool. I'm not worried about temperature when it comes to mescaline. The goo is a pain, though