• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GBL - long-term effect on my health (serotonin)

ssessions

Greenlighter
I took GBL on and off for a couple of years, including a couple of 2 month stretches where I was dosing 24/7. I had a couple of brutal withdrawals lasting 2-3 weeks, and I used baclofen to help me through those. I haven't taken GBL for almost a year now, but I wonder if I've done some permanent damage to whatever part of my brain regulates serotonin.

I took sertraline on and off for several years, it was a really helpful antidepressant for me. But following my period taking GBL, sertraline gives me massive anxiety, and I have to stop taking it after a few days.

Also, there's food. After eating food, presumably most people get a warm, contented feeling caused by a boost in serotonin, amongst other things. Since GBL, I've stopped getting that contented feeling - instead, I get jittery and anxious after eating.

Any ideas what might have happened to me, and how I could change it?

@ssessions a good friend of mine took it for about 5 years with at least 6 months of 24/7 dosing maybe even a whole year at the end. He had bad WDs and even a couple seizures when coming off it.
He hasn't reported anything like this to me? Although I don't think he's ever tried sertraline.

I think you should ask your GP tbh.

I'm pretty sure GBL doesn't affect serotonin too much.
I think it's something else you've fucked up.
I know a guy who had to be tied down in hospital, because his seizures could have caused permanent damage to his back.

I think @DeadManWalkin' is right I don't think it affects serotonin, I think it works on dopamine?
I remember my mate saying after his knockout doses (4ml!) during his 24/7 dosing periods, he would ALWAYS get woken up 4 hours later due to dopamine rebound 🤷‍♂️

GHB acts on the GHB receptor and also Gaba-B. What your going thru doesn't have anything to do with serotonin. Personally I'm very wary of SSRI'S as they cause a boatload of side effects for me and whatever benefits are negligible. You could be going through PAW's (post acute withdrawal) but I doubt whatever damage was done would be permanent. Just try and stay away from drugs awhile and see how your symptoms improve.

GHB acts on the GHB receptor and also Gaba-B. What your going thru doesn't have anything to do with serotonin. Personally I'm very wary of SSRI'S as they cause a boatload of side effects for me and whatever benefits are negligible. You could be going through PAW's (post acute withdrawal) but I doubt whatever damage was done would be permanent. Just try and stay away from drugs awhile and see how your symptoms improve.
A while? It can take years. It's hell.

Op I don’t know if you’re still on here but this is probably gaba-b paws. It’s hell on earth lmao.
I’ve found some people are more susceptible to this compared to the lucky others are home free after acute.
It gets slowly better over time. From anecdotal reports I’ve seen it usually takes ~18 months like gaba-a paws and I can say that improvement is gradual.