L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

"Gay-dar" Evidence vs. A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
I don't know how well this one will be received so it's not okay could I request that it please be moved to the lounge (or wherever it's appropriate). Thanks

So I was hoping to open up a discussion about this issue with open-minded discussion.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of objective evidence to provide here but I'll try and stick to the facts just as well.

First off, I want to premise this with: "Have you ever known someone who claimed to have 'gay-dar'?" If it's not self-explanatory enough - it's seen as an intuitive skill. The reason for not calling it a psychic ability may be due to the scrutiny against the word. This next bit comes directly from wikipedia Gaydar - Wikipedia

Gaydar (a portmanteau of gay and radar) is a colloquialism referring to the intuitive ability of a person to assess others' sexual orientations as homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual. Gaydar relies on verbal and non-verbal clues and LGBT stereotypes. These include the sensitivity to social behaviors and mannerisms; for instance, acknowledging flamboyant body language, the tone of voice used by a person when speaking, overtly rejecting traditional gender roles, a person's occupation, and grooming habits.

The detection of sexual orientation by outward appearance or behavior is frequently challenged by situations in which masculine gay men who do not act in a stereotypically "gay" fashion, or with metrosexual men (regardless of sexuality) who exhibit a lifestyle, spending habits, and concern for personal appearance stereotypical of fashionable urban gay men

Further down the page I found this bit which seems to stand alone and I think the reasons why it isn't bunched together within a full paragraph could imply something.

"Other studies have found that men and women with body shapes and walking styles similar to people of the opposite sex are more often perceived as gay."

The page goes on to explain that "Gender-specific body movements are not reliably associated with a person's sexual orientation" and furthermore the studies that wikipedia listed seem to suggest that facial cues is the preferred method.

Whether a hobby, a habit, or some sort of acquired thing (be it a passive or active tendency) to judge a person's sexuality, I find it odd that any of these tests have ever been conducted. Following some of the blue links on the page I was able to gain a better understanding of what was going on here in order to superimpose some of the objective stuff over some of my own views. From a link from there I jumped to the false positive paradox and skipped to the psychology section. It appears in one study involving GPA's, students preferred individuating information vs general information. Could this be the culprit or perhaps the method to the madness?

So what's really going on here? Are delusions to blame? Is society at fault?

Mind you I do not condone the fallacy (or delusion is what I prefer) that gaydar is real at all. The same goes for identifying any orientation for that matter. The best way to affirm for yourself is to get that information from the person unprovoked...

And I think I have a feeling where a lot of the errors are coming from. Impatience alongside carelessness supports a delusion that a certain conclusion has been reached before it has ever gotten there. I know this firsthand as I get called a faggot almost weekly by people shouting out their car windows. I have, however, made almost no steps in defining what my sexuality is or supporting that in any way. I'm about as fluid as I can be without directly putting myself in danger. But being bullied by people seeing my Queen shirt doesn't really make me stare down at my feet or go out and buy a video camera to see what my gait looks like or practice speeches in front of the mirror to see how straight I can appear to look. I just don't care.

I also want to refrain from giving too many opinions here because I honestly don't know the long-term or even lifestyle repercussions of what it means to look at tendencies like they mean something definitive rather than arbitrary. But I also disagree with assumptions people make on body language wholeheartedly but there's a lot of factors to consider as to why a person would present themselves a certain way - and to open up a study on body language defeats the purpose and conducting a study without the person knowing is kind of immoral.

There are some calculated people e.g. criminal or in criminology fir example or otherwise need the skill. Theyre are able to mask their emotions and such through tight control of their bodies, and understanding of body language. Otherwise most people are pretty similar at least within their own cultures.

Did you know that some places in the world head up and down is "no" and side to side "yes"? There's judges in Canada who specificially deal with immigrants of certain origins because of that. Also, a Russian spy was found out of a group of suspects (this is a real case which is taught about in universities) because he walked out of a store holding a bouquet upside down. Body language actually says a lot.

Im on the autism spectrum, used to have an incredible anxiety disorder and still have other mood and neirological issues which fuck me up and I had to learn about this over time in order to express myself properly. I just try and be normal instead of the oddity I'd normally be. Sometimes even successfully. Body language actually means a lot.

That guy I told you about with the microexpressions and all that sort of molded my thinking a bit too because he was all about it. Its a cool subject, other then the fact he was a sociopathic piece of human garbage who treated me and many others like shit for years.

Did you know that some places in the world head up and down is "no" and side to side "yes"? There's judges in Canada who specificially deal with immigrants of certain origins because of that. Also, a Russian spy was found out of a group of suspects (this is a real case which is taught about in universities) because he walked out of a store holding a bouquet upside down. Body language actually says a lot.
I have heard that about "yes" and "no".

The part about the bouquet really interests me. I've always wanted to be a mentalist (despite what I'm about to say below) and often find myself reading about bizarre facts in the hopes that I could apply them to deductive reasoning.

Due to my disposition I haven't the slightest clue about what certain body positions mean about anything and never been able to detect anything up close or from afar. I rely on other clues instead since I often have bizarre interactions with motorists and body language isn't exactly useful.

That guy I told you about with the microexpressions and all that sort of molded my thinking a bit too because he was all about it. Its a cool subject, other then the fact he was a sociopathic piece of human garbage who treated me and many others like shit for years.
A sociopath once told me something similar.

I have heard that about "yes" and "no".

The part about the bouquet really interests me. I've always wanted to be a mentalist (despite what I'm about to say below) and often find myself reading about bizarre facts in the hopes that I could apply them to deductive reasoning.

Due to my disposition I haven't the slightest clue about what certain body positions mean about anything and never been able to detect anything up close or from afar. I rely on other clues instead since I often have bizarre interactions with motorists and body language isn't exactly useful.

A sociopath once told me something similar.
Whats your disposition if I may ask?

There's nothing mystical or psychic about the 'Gaydar'. Its just an innate human ability to interpret visual and behavioural clues. Some people are better at perceiving these clues than others. Everyone has a 'gaydar', and everyone has a 'straightdar'. If we didn't, no one would be getting fucked...

There's nothing mystical or psychic about the 'Gaydar'. Its just an innate human ability to interpret visual and behavioural clues. Some people are better at perceiving these clues than others. Everyone has a 'gaydar', and everyone has a 'straightdar'. If we didn't, no one would be getting fucked...
You are right. Ive picked people up or theyve picked me, whatever, right off the street. Theres a certain walk, a saunter, a dress, a tone of voice, whatever. Hard to explain. Even if its absolutely subtle I always run into people who are gay and then theres a lot of who never guessed I was anything less than straight until I opened my mouth about it too. Then theres people who have picked me me out of 50 people at a smalltown dive bar (not the most gay friendly) and they were absolutely right.

Everyones got varying degrees of intuition on this. Were the most social species on this planet afterall.

Happens in other scenarios too.

I can often pick out someone on the autistic spectrum from a glance, on numerous occasions even before they knew they were! Exact same for people with psychosis.

That comes from extensive experience of working with people on the spectrum, and extensive personal experience of people with psychosis

Happens in other scenarios too.

I can often pick out someone on the autistic spectrum from a glance, on numerous occasions even before they knew they were! Exact same for people with psychosis.

That comes from extensive experience of working with people on the spectrum, and extensive personal experience of people with psychosis

I don't like where you're going with this Mr.Fiend. I've always prided myself upon having a highly tuned gaydar. But you're implying that this only comes with an extensive experience of gayness... 8o

ive had a few friends fly under my gaydar but then after i find out, i say to myself "i should've known"

how bout the dudes that totally act gay but then you find out later that they're married with kids? they're still gay, cmon, you don't act like that and not be gay...idk who they're foolin....

ive had a few friends fly under my gaydar but then after i find out, i say to myself "i should've known"

how bout the dudes that totally act gay but then you find out later that they're married with kids? they're still gay, cmon, you don't act like that and not be gay...idk who they're foolin....
Meh. Takes all kinds really. Some cultures a little flambuoyancy and affections not a big deal at all. There are definitely straight guys who act "gay". There are TONS who are straight as an arrow outwardly and then theyre all iver grindr whenever the wife isnt looking. Its really hard to say sometimes, but there isnt much that surprises me these days really.

More youre around the type and drop your preconception the more youll understand the individuals and then the group. Wait til you hear about all the tribes and shit its a fuckin slog man.

I think that guy with the wife and kid whos a little gaydar setting is actually just a little more settled than most. If he is a little gay then so be it right?

oh yea - totally - be a little gay all ya want - i just get a kick out of it all :)

Is it a psychic skill I wonder to be able to identify people actively using their gaydar?

It's a social skill, be it passive or active, to pick up on mutual interests. It keeps us alive for the most part.

It's not always right, however. I've been convinced recently that someone was 100% straight and I ended up being very wrong.

I don't disclose that with anyone except closest friends. I have a mental illness and a learning disability.
Okay. I struggle with some issues myself. Mental illness and neurological issues. Severe autoimmune disease which exacerbates both. I do understand somewhat what that's like, I think.

Your input here has been great you know. I am serious Keep posting! This is a pretty refreshing thread.

Are the thread subject and these things related somehow?

I don't understand.

How does a person make these assessments based on personal assumption? What does it have to do with experience?

I have bidar/gaydar, intuition, or I guess I am somehow very good at reading body language or whatever you want to call it.

Someone once told me bidar/gaydar or whatever you call it is somehow telepathy or some type of chaos magic, or people who are the same attracting each other, but my mother has it and she is heterosexual.