Garlic as a performance enhancer

RichdoubleT

Greenlighter
I've used Garlic on and off the past year as a pre-workout. Sometimes by itself with a small meal or sometimes compounding it with caffeine. The garlic alone has given me an incredible blood rush to my brain and extremities. Focus has seemed to increase with an increase in energy as well.

The side effect is you smell like it for the next 36 hours. I usually eat a clove or half clove before a workout. I've tried vinegar, saltwater, extreme mouth washing and brushing of teeth and tongue to rid of the odor.

Does anyone eat garlic everyday for the health benefits? And have you found a way to neutralize the odor from your mouth and pores?

Thank you

It is difficult to tell if capsuled garlic has been processed or not. The reason I prefer raw garlic is below:

Raw Garlic contains Hydrogen sulfide, which is formed when raw garlic is cut or crushed, acts as an antioxidant and transmits chemical messages that relax blood vessels and increase blood flow. When garlic is processed or cooked, it loses its ability to generate hydrogen sulfide.

Just the act of chewing raw garlic in your mouth seems to unleash some of its benefits. Capsuled garlic would solve the odor issue but in my opinion would not be as effective.

Source: http://www.healwithfood.org/cardiovascular/raw-garlic-benefits.php#ixzz3o6rTOpRD

I've used Garlic on and off the past year as a pre-workout. Sometimes by itself with a small meal or sometimes compounding it with caffeine. The garlic alone has given me an incredible blood rush to my brain and extremities. Focus has seemed to increase with an increase in energy as well.

The side effect is you smell like it for the next 36 hours. I usually eat a clove or half clove before a workout. I've tried vinegar, saltwater, extreme mouth washing and brushing of teeth and tongue to rid of the odor.

Does anyone eat garlic everyday for the health benefits? And have you found a way to neutralize the odor from your mouth and pores?

Thank you

Try parsley...

Honestly thought this was a joke at first haha, I've never heard of garlic giving those effects....but obviously I'm just ignorant!! Can anyone elaborate/explain for me?

Honestly thought this was a joke at first haha, I've never heard of garlic giving those effects....but obviously I'm just ignorant!! Can anyone elaborate/explain for me?

it has a lot of B vitamins and has been shown to be effective in rats
its good for increasing blood flow and increasing energy, same stuff vitamin B does

ive never been able to find something saying its better then taking a vitamin B supplement, i dont even barley hear of anyone ever doing this

to me if no one does something i dont imagine it can be that effective but to each his own
the benefits for sure wouldnt out weight me smelling bad if there are other alternatives lol

it has a lot of B vitamins and has been shown to be effective in rats
its good for increasing blood flow and increasing energy, same stuff vitamin B does

ive never been able to find something saying its better then taking a vitamin B supplement, i dont even barley hear of anyone ever doing this

to me if no one does something i dont imagine it can be that effective but to each his own
the benefits for sure wouldnt out weight me smelling bad if there are other alternatives lol

What's great about garlic instead of taking vitamin B supplements is you don't have to digest all the extra additives in most capsules or Emergen-C type mixes.

I've never got the effect of feeling my cardiovascular system open up with vitamin b supplements as I have with garlic. Not saying vitamin B doesn't work but it works differently. Also, I do sublingual B-12 but it seems to give me too much energy at times and makes me scatterbrained instead of focused.

Ive taken injections, powder and the sublinguals and they worked fine
But if theyre too much for you i dunno, personally im not going through all that stuff to get a little extra energy

In the restaurant business if you handle a lot of garlic, you are supposed to rub your hands in a stainless steel sink. For some reason it neutralizes the odor of garlic and onions. I don't see how this would help you with your mouth.

I love the smell of garlic. I can say the stainless steel thing does work. Even just holding a stainless steel scrubby with water in your hands for a minute or so will stop it from smelling.

I love eating large amounts of garlic and onions, yes sometimes even raw. I've never noticed any sort of effects from it whether I'm working out or not. Other than I am addicted the taste and I smell bad so I have to stop myself from doing it daily.

Isn't garlic also supposed to be good for the immune system? That would be a nice additional bonus. Also I'd trust natural sources of vitamins over supplements as the body usually absorbs them better

I sprinkle a generous amount of Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper on almost everything i eat but today i was wondering about Garlic to see if it offers some benefits, glad i saw this thread..
I wouldn't care about the Garlic smell, just tell everyone your a vampire hunter..

Isn't garlic also supposed to be good for the immune system? That would be a nice additional bonus. Also I'd trust natural sources of vitamins over supplements as the body usually absorbs them better

Garlic has a myriad of benefits. I've always concluded that if a type of food has an exotic color or smell to it, the benefits are high quality. Such as beets, blueberries, sweet potatoes, pomegranate, pumpkin, etc...

There's not really anything you can do as the smell is caused by predominantly allyl methyl sulphide (AMS) and dimethyl sulphide (DMS) that you exhale when you breathe (ie it's mostly not about your mouth being smelly) - rather like the sulphurous stink you get from DMSO's decomposition.

The parsley as mentioned is the classic folk remedy. You can also try milk, which actually has some research to back its claims. But in general, the best you can do is attempt to mask the smell really...