• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

gambojic amide, a new nerve grower

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Gambojic amide, the amide of gambojic acid has been shown to be a potent, small molecule, non peptide mimic of nerve growth factor, which should cross the blood brain barria. This compound, like the naturally occurring nerve growth factor in the brain, selectively activates the TRKA receptor, stimulating neuronal growth, survival, differentiation and neurogenesis, as well as powerful suppression of apotosis and other forms of cell death. However, there is one thing that sets this compound apart from NGF and its peptide based mimics: Exposure of neurons to above normal concentrations of NGF results in rapid down regulation of TRKA receptors, or up regulation of opposing pathways like tyracine phosphatases and growth inhibitors. On the other hand, gambojic amide dose dependently up regulates TRKA receptors, and enhances the growth factor signalling output of stimulated TRKA receptors. In addition, it doesn’t activate the other NGF target, the proapoptotic tuma suppresser, page75 neurtrophin receptor, thus further increasing antiapoptotic ethikasy compared to NGF.
What do you all think of this substance?
Could it be a new nootropic or wonder drug?
Has anyone tried or willing to try it?
What could the side affects be?

this binding at TRKA up regulates those receptors? What the heck?

It sounds like if it binds to a cell expressing only low affinity nerve growth factor receptors then it will induce apoptosis, but maybe there isnt enough solo low affinity NGF receptors for this to be a problem, but I bet if this substance binds to one it can bind to both.

http://m.pnas.org/content/104/41/16329.long

^^ is very interesting. It even up regulates choline acetyltransferase which is typically lost as we age. This might be a very important substance here.

Last edited:
Very interesting read. I am interested in things that can help my brain. Great post. I'll study it.

a common mushroom called Lions Mane is also NGF. Plenty of studies can be found

Gambogic acid itself has some toxic properties; I would be very wary of any purported blockbuster nootropics.

At least wait til people have rat/mouse/monkey PK data...