• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabbapentin and Ibuprofen

Bnebel15

Greenlighter
Hi community sorry if this question has been addressed already but I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. My question is why do I see some people say that they take ibuprofen to help the gabbapentin. What does ibuprofen to if taken with the gabbapentin? Thank you in advance for any help on this topic.

They do not interact at all pharmacologically, so any benefit would be a combination of analgesia or psychlogical... to my knowledge.

They likely potentiate each other's analgesia... otherwise I have no idea.

That's what I figured but I kept reading over and over in threads where people kept saying they were taking ibuprofen to help the gabapentin and it didn't quite make sense to me. Thank you

Hi community sorry if this question has been addressed already but I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. My question is why do I see some people say that they take ibuprofen to help the gabbapentin. What does ibuprofen to if taken with the gabbapentin? Thank you in advance for any help on this topic

Hey @Bnebel15 :)

I think the confusion here is that the drug in question is not actually Ibuprofen (Advil) but Naproxen (Aleve). These are both OTC analgesics with similar action but different mechanisms. There is some data out there that indicates Naproxen can boost the effects of both Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica), which I'm sure other readers will find interesting, given the huge difference in pharmacokinetics between these two drugs. Anyway, there is a lot of reported experience others have had positively in taking Naproxen with Gabapentinoids.

Whatever is causing the increase in potency seems to be unknown, but it definitely seems to be present. Here is the article I'm using as reference. It seems to indicate a 10:1 ratio of Gabapentin/Naproxen as favorable.