European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Gabba: what the fuck are you on about?

tambourine-man

Bluelight Crew
I don't wish to shit on anyone's muscal preference... but can someone explain to me what this bollocks is all about?

I've tried.... I've tried so hard to understand it and 'get into' it... but it just sounds like noise. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a particular set of leading artists/labels that would be worthwhile checking out?

Also, is there some procedure for dancing that I'm missing? Or do you just rock your head back and forth like a pez dispenser, feet glued to the spot and eating a bag of cheesey wotsits?

I'm confused. Answers on a postcard please.

Gabba is fucking amazing! It's mainly mixed with breakcore now as old gabba was just really hard hardcore.

It's just a love it or hate it thing I don't think you could really learn to love it, but watching people spazz out to some evil as fuck 220bp track is something that I don't feel can be beaten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D06971j9e-Y

Generally most of the newstyle gabba tracks have a jungle type beat to them so similar dancing can be done but then spazz out when the Kick drum comes in with some obligatory air punching.

The atmosphere at the events is always fucking amazing, it has a huge underground following and a big free party scene around it. The crowd are friendly and crazy I love it all!

Oh gabba how I love thee.

download some hellfish and producer, and play it loud with the bass up.. some gabba i dont like and sometimes i dont like any of it, but there is a time and a place

thing is just about all gabba nights now are more breakcore orientated, you just have to appreciate the evil gabba kick drum.

For the most part I really don't like it. There's a certain gabba track that always has me in giggles though. =D

I can tolerate it a lot more than I can tolerate happy hardcore though. Some techno dj's go a bit nuts sometimes and actually have their sets bordering on gabba. Not as far removed as people think it is. ;)

Yeah that's the track. Reminds me of the stripper and the danceoff.

Ah, Evad... the man I was waiting for a response from! :D
Evad said:
Gabba is fucking amazing! It's mainly mixed with breakcore now as old gabba was just really hard hardcore.

It's just a love it or hate it thing I don't think you could really learn to love it, but watching people spazz out to some evil as fuck 220bp track is something that I don't feel can be beaten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D06971j9e-Y
Hey... links work with smilies in them!!!! :D

The track playing is just waaaay to much for my head. :(
Generally most of the newstyle gabba tracks have a jungle type beat to them so similar dancing can be done but then spazz out when the Kick drum comes in with some obligatory air punching.
Yeah, I think that's part of the problem... I'm checking the older stuff and finding it difficult to listen to. I (was) a big jungle fan at one point so I guess I need to look at some of the newer stuff. I'd imagine that the BP would be a bit lower if it wanted to get some recognisable jungle beats into it?
The atmosphere at the events is always fucking amazing, it has a huge underground following and a big free party scene around it. The crowd are friendly and crazy I love it all!
Yeah, I can imagine. Maybe gabba's one of those genres that can only be truly appreciated at an event.

AuraithX said:
In the comments for that video it's referred to as "Breakcore"...that the same thing as gabba?

nah they're not the same thing as gabba follows a 4/4 pattern and breakcore is all over the place but breakcore includes a lot of gabba, it's hard to explain.

it's actually listed as speedcore but some of that is really unlistenable, when it gets above about 400bpm it's not really music anymore!

Evad said:
nah they're not the same thing as gabba follows a 4/4 pattern and breakcore is all over the place but breakcore includes a lot of gabba, it's hard to explain.
aye I didnt really read your post before commenting :D

Any links to where I can get some Gabba/Breakcore?

Music is so hard to find :<

I had a long answer prepared but I'm in a rush. Gabba is totally lost on me. If I wanted earbleeding noise I'd tape my head to a vacuum cleaner. To me it is just nasty noise, no matter how big or great or clever the undergrund scene is.

I like the music, get great enjoyment from it and listen to it at home. 90+% of trance and house makes me vomit but I just find the "if you cant say anything nice" saying works best when it comes to music taste as it's taste, there are no facts.

Evad said:
I like the music, get great enjoyment from it and listen to it at home. 90+% of trance and house makes me vomit but I just find the "if you cant say anything nice" saying works best when it comes to music taste as it's taste, there are no facts.

Which is what makes music so wonderful. One mans pain is anothers pleasure, etc.

I remember visiting the Gabba arena at a Skegness Phantasy Island one new years eve to actually see for myself what the fuck this is all about.

It seemed like everyone,which amounted to 50 krusties, were sat around the edges of the dancefloor chewing on their eyebrows and staring blankly at the ceiling. There was a small "hardcore" element attempting to dance to the 250 BPM mess coming from the speakers, though i use the term "dance" very, very loosely.

Now i'm not one to typecast or stereotype but most everywhere i've ever seen Gabba played has been some illegal rave or Krusty free party and can only thank god it hasn't made it to the mainstream.

I cannot stand it. I have a broad musical taste and let me say this is one genre I cannot stand. Anything over 180bpm has to be at least slightly euphoric. IMO

bassline house = worst musical genre ever.

glorifoed shit uk speed garage.

see expressing musical tastes is fun isn't it?

It's spelt gabber, and it's fucking having it. Check out labels like deathchant and planet core productions (PCP) as well as producers like the mover, bryan fury, the producer and hellfish for a start. I love the stuff but I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to artists/labels so I can't help much more.

Oh Gabber, i thought we were talking about Gabba. In that case i think its an equisite mix of beautifully balanced tones and i listen to it all the time, it especially helps me get of to sleep ;)