• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids (Gabapentin) withdrawal, any advice?

I really did not expect any withdrawals from this initially because it is supposed to be such a safe god damn medication with no withdrawals. I find that to be quite the contrary, I feel like shit. I've been through cold turkey methadone withdrawals with a benzo taper at the same time; those are obviously far different. But I do not really know what to expect from these current withdrawal. It's easy to see what withdrawals are from benzos and opiates. Anyone know anything that might help me? Or how long it really takes to withdrawal from gabapentin completly? Any advice, experience, anything really, would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Oh yea, I've been on gabapentin for over a year and a half. I'm on 800 MGs four times a day; 3200 MGs a day. For anxiety or as a mood stabilizer, whatever the fuck you want to call it.

Pretty annoying isn't it? "Safe and non habit forming, non addictive "... I learned the hard way as well. You know what I learned? When they tell THAT "this med is non addictive etc"... all that really means is = people who take this drug do not exhibit the same behavior as people who are prescribed or abuse drugs like opiates/amphetamines . It does NOT mean you won't withdrawal . I felt like an idiot but come on! If you tell me something is non addictive I think, well, there's no withdrawal and that's simply not the case. Some people stop taking gabapentin and they're just fine. To me it was a very minor benzo like withdrawal. Ride it out. It's irritating but you should be fine sooner than you might think. You go trying to treat this and you could be staring down the barrel of another addiction.

This is what happens when you take this or pregabalin everyday; nasty WD. I personally only has seven days worth of very mild WD from gabapentin, but I still felt out of it. I would suggest lots of vitamin B, and Magnesium supplements and honestly, if you dont have an addictive personality take some codeine to ease things. Also get something to help you sleep.

Gabapentin is so subtle but works wonderfully for me. Like it just gives me a little push over the edge where anxiety and no anxiety meet. I take it once or twice a week usually and haven't had any WD.

The search for a useful drug with limited WD (besides cannabis) continues my friends...

Gabapentin is so subtle but works wonderfully for me. Like it just gives me a little push over the edge where anxiety and no anxiety meet. I take it once or twice a week usually and haven't had any WD.

The search for a useful drug with limited WD (besides cannabis) continues my friends...

The reason you dont get WD is because of your controlled use of 1-2 times a week

I am currently going through Lyrica withdrawl and I have to say than it is HELL! I never was on gabapetin but they are basically the same thing! I did try gabapetin once and it made me go thru blackout spells so I stuck with Lyrica. Well getting off Lyrica I thought would be a piece of cake...WRONG !! Insomnia, restress legs ( which I take Hylands Restful Legs OTC dissolvable pills which really help), hot and cd flashes especially night sweats, extreme irritability, can't get out if bed yet can't sleep, my body feels like it weighs a ton of bricks, no apetite and when I do eat I get nauseous and throw up...and the list goes on. I didn't expect this to be so rough. I am also on stuff like Ambien and Xanax and muscle relaxers and have found myself taken them more than prescribed which has gotteñ me into trouble with my drs bc they said they would not precise or refI'll them early to make up for the extra that I'm taking. I really wishould there was something out there to combat this horrible Lyrica withdrawl which I initiated on my own with Dr approval bc after 7 yrs on it i can't take the side effects of brain fog, the 80+ lb weight gain, and especially the extreme swelling of my hands and especially my feet. Once every 1- 2 months I go a week that I can't walk bc my feet are do silken that I can't put wright on them let alone wear shoes! They look like I have elephantitis! If you have ever seen a Lyrica commercial where they list all the side effects well I've got them!!! I'm currently down to 50mg of lyrica a day and can admit that it was helping with the nerve pain from Fibromyalgia ect since I'm at 1/4 my normal dose so I can feel it now but u have to get off this awful drug. I'm in three process of trying out Topamax as a replacement but I just started and am not at a high enough MG to feel any benefits yet, the only thing I can say is that I take it before bed and it knocks me the heck out at 50mgs. I'm supposed to starts another 50mgs when I wake up but I'm scared it will just know me back out when I'm suposed to be waking up? Anybody else use topamax and can you tell me if is works well for nerve pain like Lyrica and does the "KO" feeling dissapate as you get used to taking to the drug?
And for those who are having a hard time going through Gaba and Lyrica withdrawl I'm so sorry....the whole 72 hour thing us a myth! I'm on week 6 of titration off and am still experiencing bad withdrawl symptoms and scared to death bc by neXT week I'm supposed to be off of it completely !!! And don't have anything to use to help with the withdrawls.... if you find something that works please pass on the knowledge! !

Well, now I'm scared shitless after reading this whole thread. Like, genuinely terrified. I've been taking HIGH doses of first Lyrica, then when that ran out, Neurontin, for about 14 days. I've had these meds in my medicine cabinet for like 5 years and never even considered taking them...I only started with the Lyrica because I have to quit smoking and there are some research papers that indicate that Lyrica can help with nicotine withdrawal. The first Lyrica dose got me high as balls and I never looked back. I went hard for two weeks, now I'm all out of both Lyrica and Neurontin, so cold turkey it is for me.

I went through a HORRIFIC oxy, hydro, and soma withdrawal four years ago (almost to the day, oddly), been largely clean since then....and the people on here saying that Gabapentin withdrawal is worse than methadone/benzo/alcohol withdrawal COMBINED have me petrified. I went cold turkey from 400 mg/day oxy, 320 mg/day hydro (yes I was CWE) and normal doses of Soma and I spent DAYS on the bathroom floor twitching in my own shit, piss, and vomit. I spent weeks in bed. I spent months on the couch, wishing I was dead. I cannot do that again.

I have a lot of Valium and zero benzo tolerance (ever), and of course booze. I'm going out today to buy Magnesium supplements. I took my last dose of 1g Gabapentin last night at about 6 pm. When can I expect the hell to start?

Well, now I'm scared shitless after reading this whole thread. Like, genuinely terrified. I've been taking HIGH doses of first Lyrica, then when that ran out, Neurontin, for about 14 days. I've had these meds in my medicine cabinet for like 5 years and never even considered taking them...I only started with the Lyrica because I have to quit smoking and there are some research papers that indicate that Lyrica can help with nicotine withdrawal. The first Lyrica dose got me high as balls and I never looked back. I went hard for two weeks, now I'm all out of both Lyrica and Neurontin, so cold turkey it is for me.

I went through a HORRIFIC oxy, hydro, and soma withdrawal four years ago (almost to the day, oddly), been largely clean since then....and the people on here saying that Gabapentin withdrawal is worse than methadone/benzo/alcohol withdrawal COMBINED have me petrified. I went cold turkey from 400 mg/day oxy, 320 mg/day hydro (yes I was CWE) and normal doses of Soma and I spent DAYS on the bathroom floor twitching in my own shit, piss, and vomit. I spent weeks in bed. I spent months on the couch, wishing I was dead. I cannot do that again.

I have a lot of Valium and zero benzo tolerance (ever), and of course booze. I'm going out today to buy Magnesium supplements. I took my last dose of 1g Gabapentin last night at about 6 pm. When can I expect the hell to start?

I'm tempted to say that if its only been two weeks you will get a bit of anxiety, insommnia and maybe a strong desire to smoke. Anecdotal evidence suggests that its long term use (months and years) tat causes severe WD

Here's hoping, EP.

Coming up on 22 hours and I feel perfectly fine so far (even went hiking this afternoon), but of course several people here have said they were fine for about 48 hours (which I don't understand since the half-life is 5 hours) and then it all went to hell. Well, at least I'm off work until Monday. I'll update here either way, if only for the anecdata value.

Well, this has got me scared shitless. I have been on gabapentine for 4 months as a mood stabilizer after withdrawing from 25 years of heavy cannibis use. Bout a 1/2 oz a month. I had a major depressive episode when I quit. Suicidal thoughts. I was admitted to a physc ward for 6 days. Go figure. Anyway, I was given GP in there and it turned me right around. Now I take anywhere from 300-900 mg daily. Sometimes none. I'm also been on 100mg Zoloft for about 17 years and the lowest dose of seriquil for about 1 year. I don't use any other drugs or meds. Used benzos before quitting grass at a very low dose. .5 mg of klonipin. Stopped that when I quit grass too. Been clean from grass for over 200 days. I know most will say smoking grass is better then any of the meds, but not for me. I had to stop. It was ruining my life in every way. I've gone days without the GB and didn't really notice anything. Maybe a bit of heart pounding anxiety. But nothing like when I quit smoking, which was terrible anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, unreal mood swings, is crumble into tears at the drop of a hat. Going back to weed is not an option for me. Period.

But I'm now worried bout the GB. I never gave it a second thought. Prob cause I am prescribed it by my psychiatrist and my therapist knows I'm taking it and both have never batted an eye bout it. I have a long personal and family history of mental illness.

Should I be tapering it off? Stop altogether? Talk to my drs? Keep the path? I don't want to go through the kind of withdraw I did before ever again. Advice????

Well, this has got me scared shitless. I have been on gabapentine for 4 months as a mood stabilizer after withdrawing from 25 years of heavy cannibis use. Bout a 1/2 oz a month. I had a major depressive episode when I quit. Suicidal thoughts. I was admitted to a physc ward for 6 days. Go figure. Anyway, I was given GP in there and it turned me right around. Now I take anywhere from 300-900 mg daily. Sometimes none. I'm also been on 100mg Zoloft for about 17 years and the lowest dose of seriquil for about 1 year. I don't use any other drugs or meds. Used benzos before quitting grass at a very low dose. .5 mg of klonipin. Stopped that when I quit grass too. Been clean from grass for over 200 days. I know most will say smoking grass is better then any of the meds, but not for me. I had to stop. It was ruining my life in every way. I've gone days without the GB and didn't really notice anything. Maybe a bit of heart pounding anxiety. But nothing like when I quit smoking, which was terrible anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, unreal mood swings, is crumble into tears at the drop of a hat. Going back to weed is not an option for me. Period.

But I'm now worried bout the GB. I never gave it a second thought. Prob cause I am prescribed it by my psychiatrist and my therapist knows I'm taking it and both have never batted an eye bout it. I have a long personal and family history of mental illness.

Should I be tapering it off? Stop altogether? Talk to my drs? Keep the path? I don't want to go through the kind of withdraw I did before ever again. Advice????

I would say that RIGHT NOW you are benefitting from GP, and at doses such as 300-900mg, you are fine. However, maybe best to take a few days off between doses if you are able to? That way you wont build tolerance to the drug, and the low doses will continue working for a longer period of time, and when you are over the other problems, you can taper off with a lot less WDs. I mean you are coming away from 24 years of cannabis use, and in your own words it was a terrible addiction for you that GP is helping with, so for now keep at the GP but low doses and with days off. All the best.

Thanks for the response and insight. I'm going to try and start staggering the GB and stick to 300-600 mg the days I take it. Going to talk to my psyc n therapist about my concerns and will follow up here.

Checking in just short of 48 hours. I don't feel as great as I did yesterday, but so far this is not any kind of horrorshow and in no way compares to even mild opiate withdrawal for me. I woke up at 4 am and tossed and turned for a bit, had some unusually freaky dreams overnight, and so far today have felt slightly wired (like there's a very mild kind of whirring happening under my skin) and little bit anxious/irritable. I took Magnesium and 2 Advil and that's it. So while I feel a little "off," it has not kept me from normal activities. Having never experienced alcohol or benzo withdrawal (there but for the grace of dog, etc) I cannot compare this to those withdrawals.

I'll post back here if anything of note develops, but I don't feel like I'm tempting fate to say that at this point I don't believe this is going to be awful by any stretch. For the record, I was taking upwards of 3g a day.

Damn ColdMiser, your " cold turkey red badge of courage" blows mine out of the water. I am proud of quitting 240 mg of oxy cold turkey, but you have come through some trying pain. I'm currently using gabapentin because my Dr. suggested it in place of narcotics. I wasn't using it but I quit tramadol two days ago and I began surprisingly awful wds. I read here that gabapentin helps so I started using it. It has begun to help but I plan to quit using it once the wds are finished. This should be within the next few days so I'll let you know if the gaba adds any negative effects.

Hey Phiddle - yeah, in retrospect maybe not the wisest course of action to cold-turkey everything at once. Ever since then, I've had a few episodes of legitimately needing rx pain meds short-term and through that I have learned that now, if I take even small doses of, say, hydrocodone, for 3-4 days, I can expect a week+ of moderate withdrawals when I stop.

Last report on the Gabapentin withdrawals: there's not too much to tell, but I want to provide a counterpoint to all the horror stories on this thread. Yes, I was only taking Pregabalin and then Gabapentin for two weeks, but there are stories out there of people taking it for not much longer than that and at 1/4 the dose I was taking and having severe withdrawals for months on end. I can safely say now that any lingering withdrawal effects are 99% gone. The most significant symptoms I had were feeling wired, irritable, depressed, unmotivated, and four nights of really hellish nightmares. The nightmares sucked most of all, I think - they were "bad trip" nightmares, the kind where all my latent fears and phobias from 40+ years on this planet were unearthed and played out in throbbing technicolor, looping into each other over and over again. So yeah, that kinda blew. I had two nights of night sweats, as well. And that's it.

Lesson learned: gaba meds get me high as balls, do not take them for more than a few days at a time.

Checking in just short of 48 hours. I don't feel as great as I did yesterday, but so far this is not any kind of horrorshow and in no way compares to even mild opiate withdrawal for me. I woke up at 4 am and tossed and turned for a bit, had some unusually freaky dreams overnight, and so far today have felt slightly wired (like there's a very mild kind of whirring happening under my skin) and little bit anxious/irritable. I took Magnesium and 2 Advil and that's it. So while I feel a little "off," it has not kept me from normal activities. Having never experienced alcohol or benzo withdrawal (there but for the grace of dog, etc) I cannot compare this to those withdrawals.

I'll post back here if anything of note develops, but I don't feel like I'm tempting fate to say that at this point I don't believe this is going to be awful by any stretch. For the record, I was taking upwards of 3g a day.

Not everyone gets the nasty WD, but its hard to tell who will get it and who wont. I had EXACTLY the same symptons you did when I gave up GP, and it lasted about a week. That sort of uneasy feeling, and crawling skin. Nothing like the horror stories I have read here on BL. I would suggest along with the Magnesium you take some vitamin B supplements, as well as omega 3 if you dont already. They will greatly help. This is anecdotal advice, but it really helped me so I hope it helps you too.

I would say being on it for four months you might be ok quitting cold turkey, especially since you say that on some days you don't take any at all. But, now that you've read this information you could be sent into a panic attack that you could confuse as being withdrawal. Have you ever had any withdrawal symptoms? Why did you originally start reading about this drug? I've been taking benzos (prescribed by a doctor) for about ten years now. I take 2mg of Ativan (Lorazepam) up to four times per day. I'm clinically addicted to that medication for sure, but with the benzos, you are susceptible to withdrawals within days of quitting. Some people say between 7-21 days, but I don't give a damn what people say, I've had withdrawal symptoms when I haven't taken it at all after just <3-4+ days. That's when I can first notice a twinge of muscle spasms, pain, & the beginnings of moderate-severe muscle twitching. Beyond that, it can cause severe muscle pain because they are severely cramped, & if I am unable to relax my muscles, it's really painful after so many days of being unable to stop them from cramping & relax them completely. I even went for a professional massage, & she wasn't able to make them relax, particularly in my back where it's easier to feel muscles & where the worst pain is.
If you haven't had withdrawal from the Gabapentin (Neurontin) before, then you should be ok. What doctors seem to say about that drug is that it's possible to have withdrawals from it & m(any) drugs, depending on your own body, but that it's atypical. But I doubt the real numbers are in on that because if people are following their doctor's directions with the medication, & if they are tapering off when the doctor takes them off of the medication, then they wouldn't really know (neither the patient nor doctor) if they would've had withdrawals upon a cold turkey quit. If for some reason the pt (patient) has abused the drug, then obviously, they'd run out because they are taking more than they're prescription is written for at some point. Is there a reason you want to quit? Is it just because you don't want to be addicted to anything, particularly this, after reading these really bad experiences? That was what caused me to want to take something else or just stop taking it. I told the doctor, he switched me over to pregabalin (Lyrica) & that one I stayed on for a very short period of time, & decided to read about it as well, & the withdrawals from it, I read, could be exponentially worse from what I've read.
The reason I originally started looking up these medicines is because I was hospitalized after injuring myself, was prescribed the Gabapentin initially, but it blocks the mu receptors as well as many other receptors in the brain (some doctors will tell you they don't, but anyone who has taken it with opiates/opioids or those types of rx pain medications, & even the benzos-those are blocked as well, can tell you that whatever their medication is, it's efficacy is quite diminished. Then, with the benzo, if that one is blocked, I can go into seriously dangerous withdrawals, the high dose that I have to take after being on it for so many years, my withdrawal would be, and have been, very awful, painful, & even extremely scary when it wasn't possible to get the medication into my body or I had none. Because a year ago I relapsed on heroin, & wound up in the hospital because I overdosed & was on the hard kitchen floor for hours. It caused, because of how I landed on the floor, rhabdomyolysis, because the blood flow was compromised, my muscle was severely damaged, part of it died, my nerves in both my feet & legs were damaged/died. I thought I was going to be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life at 33 years old. I regained some movement and feeling back in my right foot while in hospital, & pretty much after having home health come out to my home for three months up to 3-4 times/week, have the movement back in my right leg and foot, & after three & a half or four months got one muscle, then one more to start working in my left foot, but I still have >50% paralysis in my left foot, & still have nerve damage up my leg & some numbness, tingling, nerve pain in my left leg & foot muscles, & also have plain old-fashioned pain in both my feet, & lower legs, mostly on my left, & it's been over a year now... I just passed the one year date in the last week. With nerve regeneration being painfully slow (between <1 cm-<1 inch per month), & knowing it has to travel proximal to distal (from closer to your body ---> outward/away) & it has to go from at least my knee then all the way to my toes, I calculated that it would or could take anywhere from <2-3 or worst case scenario, in a scenario that it DOES heal at all, between >3-<8 years. It is also possible that my nerves may not regenerate & reinnervate completely, or anywhere in-between, at all.
Consequently, my doctor, both my PCP & my Psychiatrist, stopped my MS Contin (Morphine ES [the extended release kind] 30mg 2x/day) completely, and my Ativan (Lorazepam) 2mg up to 4x/day, respectively, my psychiatrist stopped my Ativan, which is a benzo, cold turkey, completely. My PCP stopped the morphine completely, but gave me Norco to taper off of over the next >2-<3 months. But I can handle opiate withdrawal. It won't kill ya, but can be damn uncomfortable. I guess it could cause tachycardia (fast heart rate, or any other irregularity of the beat of the heartbeat.) But it's nothing compared to benzo withdrawal. I couldn't believe that my psychiatrist took me off of it, especially my high dose and prescribed and taken it for almost nine years at the time. He once told me to NEVER stop taking it suddenly because it can cause deadly seizures in withdrawal, so I was double shocked that he did that. I was also really mad at him for doing it and more so because he had told me that it was that dangerous. EVERY healthcare worker that I talked to about it couldn't believe he did that. Their jaws would literally D R O P - all of them would. Multiple doctors, several RNs, LVNs, Physical therapists, many people in healthcare, several of them told me I should fire him. I told him about all this & he seems to be unable to remember things he would've previously said to me. There wasn't much continuity in the things he would say. But after having NO pain medicine for such severe pain, going to the ER with pain so bad I was crying-one time screaming, I finally went back to my doctor, but he wasn't there so I had to see a different doctor. Since he works at the "Family Practice" here, he said that he was actually ok with rewriting my morphine rx, but since there may be times that he is gone and other doctors may have to write the rx if he is out, he would have to bring it up at a meeting. So it turned out that me seeing this other doctor helped my situation out. After breaking down in tears telling him how horrible it had become for me, & my 80 year old grandmother also pled with him a little because I couldn't drive at the time. He left to contact my PCP via phone & came back saying that he and my doctor agreed that I needed pain control enough to look the other way about the heroin relapse.
I'm now on 200mg of Morphine ES 2x/day & 30mg of Morphine IR (immediate release) up to 3x/day.
When I saw my PCP next, he told me, regarding my psychiatrist, that I should ask to be put on Klonopin (Clonazepam) which is released slower, because he knew how conservative my psychiatrist is. He's also a part of the "Family Practice" system here.
I did so, & it worked. Then later, I was telling him that it was just not helping my panic attacks like the lorazepam did (Ativan). So he did put me back on it, & finally over the next couple months I got back to taking it at the same dose I was on before he CT quit me.

So tell me why is it that you decided to start searching about this medicine? I'm also prescribed Pregabalin (Lyrica), which is really, basically the same thing as Neurontin (Gabapentin). It does something with the GABA receptors/synapses, reuptake or SOMETHING - but I don't take it, because I want to keep my morphine prescriptions and Ativan rx's. I don't want them to think that I'm not really hurting, because I AM. just that the Lyrica blocks the most important things--it's immediate importance, for me: the Ativan & the Morphine.

8(

Gabapentin WD Sucks

Not everyone gets the nasty WD, but its hard to tell who will get it and who wont. I had EXACTLY the same symptons you did when I gave up GP, and it lasted about a week. That sort of uneasy feeling, and crawling skin. Nothing like the horror stories I have read here on BL. I would suggest along with the Magnesium you take some vitamin B supplements, as well as omega 3 if you dont already. They will greatly help. This is anecdotal advice, but it really helped me so I hope it helps you too.

I am on the long lasting Gabapentin pills (Gralise) - I take 3 x 600mg pills all at once x 1 daily

I find that Gabapentin helps me with opiate withdrawal when I want to stretch between doses or have stuff to do that pain usually doesn't allow me to do. For instance, I just started a project (independent filmmaking) and my injuries hurt so much that even with my high doses of Oxycodone, Gabapentin, muscle relaxants, etc etc - I just can't even sit upright let alone accomplish anything longer than an hour or so at the very most.

----------once in a while I will miss a dose and when I do, it is NOT pleasant to say the least. It feels like a full on panic attack... I feel like I can't catch my breath even while laying perfectly still for hours - not even moving. I end up with insomnia and won't allow myself to fall asleep because it feels like I am going to die... and when I do fall asleep (by passing out against my will) - I have the most horrific nightmares you could ever imagine. So bad I take notes about it and when I look at them later I seriously get scared.

When I travel I won't forget my gabapentin ever again - I can tell you that..... and I will fill the script up to 7 days early just to make sure I get it in time since Gralise is not a very common drug and I have had a few instances where they need to special order it and it takes a while... and that feels like a long ass time when you have the symptoms I get. I even have to take really high doses of other medications to try and mask the symptoms of the gabapentin withdrawal. Not because I want to, but it's worse than narcotic withdrawal and when you feel that bad you will do ANYTHING to make it stop or to get some restful sleep.

I never had a reaction like this until my dose was 1800mg a day..... once that happened it seems the WD's became an entirely different animal.

I withdrew from 1800mg per day over two weeks. It was pretty nasty. I took phenibut a couple times a week and it eased withdrawals. I'd advise a long withdrawal