• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin vs lyrica

Lately

Greenlighter
I just got perscibed lyrica but I was taking gabapentin, what is everyones opinion on the two? I'm sure it's in the mega thread but it's so big and there is so many random comments that I can't find anything. I also take fentanyl 50mcu. I took about 450 mg of lyrica and I feel pretty good! My Main question is how fast does the tolerance build up? %)

You might be the one to educate us. Is the Lyrica working better than the gabapentin? Why did you switch?

what are you taking it for?

from a recreational standpoint, the gabapentin high feels pretty much exactly like a much weaker pregabalin. only took the latter once, but I used to be able to get the 300mg gabapentin caps dirt cheap so I'd use them as a benzo replacement or for opiate withdrawal. even taking three of those at a time you don't get a very noticeable effect, although it definitely helped a lot with the aches and mental aspect of opiate withdrawal in doses like that.

also, I've never used it for more than a few days in a row so I can't personally comment on tolerance, but I've heard it grows quickly and that gabapentin can have hellish withdrawals coming off of high dose regimens.

I find both to have the exact same effect, having been on both. Lyrica is about twice as strong milligram for milligram I believe maybe a little more and a shitload more expensive.

lyrica makes me feel good and gabapentin makes me feel odd..

i prefer phenibut to gabapentin

I have never felt a high off gabapentin OR pregabalin before and I have taken both at high doses so iunno

IMHO:

Gabapentin = teh suk
Pregabalin = teh roxx

As for tolerance, ive been prescribed Lyrica for the past 2 years, my script only really ever lasts me about 2 weeks, and by the end of my 2nd to 3rd day of taking it I hardly notice the effects I did the first day unless I take a LOT more, which I did once, I do not suggest that.

The high the first day tho man, to be honest, I prefer it over any other drug except maybe a really good dose of high level opiate (oxy 80, opa 40) and the like.

To get the most out of your enjoyment with Lyrica, do the following:

1: Drink soda if your health permits it, for some reason sugar seems to intensify the effects.

2: Cycle your doses, instead of taking them everyday, take them every 3rd day if you can, Lyrica has a long half-life, so dosing the next day doesn't seem to produce nearly the effects of the previous day.

3: If you do opiates and withdrawl is a problem, save them for the days you know you're unlikely to have the resources to obtain opiates. Lyrica is my w/d drug of choice over all else.

The first day i took 450 mg and was feeling great. But the second day, I took 600mg and I started blacking out and having mini siezures, I ended up having to go to the e.r. It was really scary. So be careful with that shit! Oh, one more question, are they a good opiate potentiator?

Last edited:
I'm taking lyrica for cronic nerve pain and the Fent is for all the other pain. I switched to lyrica because the GABA wasn't working anymore. I got into a serious accident anyear ago qmd my body is having a really hard time recovering.:(

I started out with Lyrica and far prefer it to gabapentin. So far most of the information seems pretty spot on, Lyrica seems to be 2x as strong as gabapentin on a mg to mg dose. Gabapentin seemed to cause a bit more in the way of stomach issues, with maybe 3 days in a row of rec doses leading to diarrhea. I never noticed this with the Lyrica, even after burning through my 60 300mg pills in ~10 days. Gabapentin also seemed to leave me feeling a lot more susceptible to the cold weather then Lyrica ever did. Tolerance built up incredibly quick for me with Lyrica, I would start out at 600 mg when I first got my script, then within 3 days I would be up to my max of 1800 mg at once. After burning through my months Rx in 10 days, I'd be off them for 15 days or so until my new Rx and tolerance would be back to normal. Kind of a rambling post I know, I'm high... Hope this helps
-oatmeal

Tolerance should be back to zero after a few days off: 2 days at least.
Don't eat proteins at least 1 hour after or 2 hours before taking your Lyrica. Especially meat.
Lyrica is a really good optiate potentiator, so don't use those together.
Lyrica withdrawal symptoms are far milder than benzo withdrawals, some people actually never experience any, so this shouldn't be such a great issue.
You can take them with soda as said before, I used to chew it but not everyone can do it because it tastes so bitter, although the taste does get better.
After taking it it will mostly be outside your body after as much as 12 hours, unchanged, through urine.
Lyrica is at least 3x stronger than gabapentin.
Also, you meant pure GABA? That won't cross the BBB, I can't understand how it would ever help.

I started out with Lyrica and far prefer it to gabapentin. So far most of the information seems pretty spot on, Lyrica seems to be 2x as strong as gabapentin on a mg to mg dose. Gabapentin seemed to cause a bit more in the way of stomach issues, with maybe 3 days in a row of rec doses leading to diarrhea. I never noticed this with the Lyrica, even after burning through my 60 300mg pills in ~10 days. Gabapentin also seemed to leave me feeling a lot more susceptible to the cold weather then Lyrica ever did. Tolerance built up incredibly quick for me with Lyrica, I would start out at 600 mg when I first got my script, then within 3 days I would be up to my max of 1800 mg at once. After burning through my months Rx in 10 days, I'd be off them for 15 days or so until my new Rx and tolerance would be back to normal. Kind of a rambling post I know, I'm high... Hope this helps
-oatmeal

WRONG. Preclinical studies with pregabalin and gabapentin indicate similar anticonvulsant pharmacological profiles; however, pregabalin shows 3- to 6-fold greater potency. It is also listed to be 4 times as effective in decreasing seizure frequency.

It is best to not take pregabalin daily, as tolerance builds fast. I'd stick to once every 3-7 days and give yourself breaks.

Gabapentin does nothing for me but pregabalin is very effective for anxiety control.

It is best to not take pregabalin daily, as tolerance builds fast. I'd stick to once every 3-7 days and give yourself breaks.

I've never heard of a doctor prescribing a drug that was not to be taken daily. Well, except for "as needed" for pain or sleep. But a chronic pain reliever would have to be taken daily, I would think.

I've never heard of a doctor prescribing a drug that was not to be taken daily. Well, except for "as needed" for pain or sleep. But a chronic pain reliever would have to be taken daily, I would think.

No, I take it daily but it shouldn't be taken daily if you are trying to keep your tolerance low. I have a massive tolerance and would have to go if it for a couple weeks for it to reset.

It must really depend on every person: I was on 1200mg per day (Lyrica) taking weekends off and that took tolerance back to zero everytime.
Needless to say, Gabapentin never did anything for me.

It must really depend on every person: I was on 1200mg per day (Lyrica) taking weekends off and that took tolerance back to zero everytime.
Needless to say, Gabapentin never did anything for me.

This is indeed the miracle of Lyrica; tolerance reverses 100% in a matter of days! I saved two of my three daily prescribed doses (150mg each) for three days and am now high as a kite on 600mg. I've been dancing like a maniac. Lyrica comes close to MDMA in terms of euphoria, especial as a "tactile euphoriant." I don't know how else to describe it but my skin feels so alive and I want to touch everything just for the thrill of feeling it!

From what i hear lyrica is a little more effective (depending what you are prescribed to it for). I heard lyrica was very expensive so i was prescribed to gabapentin for a little under a year (been two weeks since i stopped taking them). I am not sure about lyrica, but gabapentin can make you feel real spacey even after being on the same dose for months and it wasn't a good thing.

Other than the FIRST dose i had of 300mg, and one other time in the past when someone sold me what they said was xanax when i didn't know much about it, i felt a high similar to xanax/anxiety relief to find out it was gabapentin, so was excited when my stupid old psychiatrist prescribed them to me for anxiety. Needless to say just that first dose, made me feel numb and a little good but once the dosage was upped and was on it daily, i didn't get any good feelings from it at all i just felt real distant and spacey in a bad way.

So for recreational purposes i think gabapentin CAN and WILL produce a high/good feeling especially at higher doses but nothing mind blowing. If your taking the lyrica for a legitimate reason, i would stick to that because it "works" better than gabapentin by a little bit.

Hi, I have been on 900 mg of gabapentin and yesterday I asked my doctor for a dose increase or switching to lryica and she flat out said no. Now I have always been honest with her and she knows my pain but won't percribe and controlled substances besides soma when I have muscle spasms

When I first started using Gabapentin, I took a wicked high dose because I felt great and thought I would just keep getting higher and higher. I ended up experiencing severe tremors and uncontrollable convulsions. The convulsions just came on all of the sudden. I was holding a glass of water in my hand and I literally threw it down on the counter with enough force to shatter it.

I ended up going to the ER when I had these seizure-like effects. It seems that hardly anyone in the medical field has any knowledge about Gabapentin overdose, addiction, tolerance etc. When I told them that it was the Gabapentin causing these effects, they said that there was simply no way. "Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant, it prevents seizures and doesn't cause them" blah blah blah.

Again the importance of sharing our experiences with these drugs is very important as my case was supposedly "unprecedented", but seeing that other people have had the same experience is pretty enlightening.

Tolerance builds FAST! I am prescribed both, lyrica way stronger. Both feel the same if taken in equivaLent doses, kind of. Lyrica seems to hit me harder/better. Need to take long breaks between uses because of tolerance. That part sucks.