• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin Taper

Willow60

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the site. I have a question about my Gabapentin taper. I am stuck at 75 mg. Started a taper off 100 mg 3 months ago and dropped very quickly to 50 mg. Had major suicdal thoughts, anxiety, leg cramps, couldn't eat solid food for 3 weeks. I've been diagnosed with a nervous system disorder (Dysautonomia) and I believe this is why I had such a hard time. I also know i cut too quickly. I have a history of going up and down with Gabapentin because my dr prescribed it to me for Benzo withdrawal and told me i could take it as needed. I think that caused damage to my nervous system as well.

Anyway, I am considering going back up to 100 mg and staying there for a while because i can't come off this drug while working . Since starting my taper, i stopped taking the drug once a day (at bedtime) and split it into 3 doses through a water titration method.

Here's my question;

If i go back to 100 mg from 75 mg, should i take the gabapentin at bed time just like i was taking it before? I'm concerned about interdose withdrawal since i've been splitting my 75 mg up into 3 equal doses throughout the day. I also considered taking it instead in the morning . I use edibles to help me sleep so i think i'll be ok with sleep issues that might arise.
I'm on my own, live alone and have to support myself. I can't do this while working and ill from multiple health conditions.
By the way, i'm holding my benzo taper too now. I'm at 8 mg of Valium. I know it's absurd that i'm having this much trouble getting off such a small dose of gabapentin but i honestly think it's due to a damaged nervous system from going up and down on Valium and Gabapentin doses.
Thanks so much.

Poor person did not get a response. But honestly after scouring all the gabapentin/pregabalin threads this class of drugs confuses me. Seems like 1/3 of people prescribed it had no withdrawal after daily use, but saying that I notice it is the people that never felt much from them anyway. Then there are others that are on benzos and gabapentinoids and I do not know what to think. I think in these cases 1+1 = 5. Synergies that we don't fully understand. The people I read that had the most issues were also on benzos. Then again I have seen some people just on gabapentin having issues coming off, only to find the next post of someone saying they did not feel any withdrawal. Then there are some that say the withdrawal lasts months, and others said just a few days and were fine. So yeah confusion. And we know most doctors do not know anything of value if asked. Some do.

One of the most interesting threads was a woman that took 1800 mgs of gabapentin daily for 6-8 months that had read all the threads and braced herself for a withdrawal that never came. This person was kind enough to document for like 2 weeks after and never felt anything

Not sure why no responses unless such a low dose of gabapentin is causing confusion getting off. Anyway hope you are well OP. I think the poly drug use really needs to be considered in some of these cases. Just trying to logically think of why some people have such issues.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the site. I have a question about my Gabapentin taper. I am stuck at 75 mg. Started a taper off 100 mg 3 months ago and dropped very quickly to 50 mg. Had major suicdal thoughts, anxiety, leg cramps, couldn't eat solid food for 3 weeks. I've been diagnosed with a nervous system disorder (Dysautonomia) and I believe this is why I had such a hard time. I also know i cut too quickly. I have a history of going up and down with Gabapentin because my dr prescribed it to me for Benzo withdrawal and told me i could take it as needed. I think that caused damage to my nervous system as well.

Anyway, I am considering going back up to 100 mg and staying there for a while because i can't come off this drug while working . Since starting my taper, i stopped taking the drug once a day (at bedtime) and split it into 3 doses through a water titration method.

Here's my question;

If i go back to 100 mg from 75 mg, should i take the gabapentin at bed time just like i was taking it before? I'm concerned about interdose withdrawal since i've been splitting my 75 mg up into 3 equal doses throughout the day. I also considered taking it instead in the morning . I use edibles to help me sleep so i think i'll be ok with sleep issues that might arise.
I'm on my own, live alone and have to support myself. I can't do this while working and ill from multiple health conditions.
By the way, i'm holding my benzo taper too now. I'm at 8 mg of Valium. I know it's absurd that i'm having this much trouble getting off such a small dose of gabapentin but i honestly think it's due to a damaged nervous system from going up and down on Valium and Gabapentin doses.
Thanks so much.
I think your benzo taper is what your feeling ,you should be fine stopping the gaba at such a low dose

I was on both also,tramadol included and stopped my Valium tapering at 5 mg Valium and I was on 1200 mg of gaba, after stopping it took 6-8 weeks to start feeling semi normal but I still have hot flashes , waves of anxiety, nervous tension ,but they happen less frequently as time goes on , im Valium and gaba free since May 1. I found that weed helped a lot , a whole lotta weed 😁 . I’m positive I couldn’t do it while working , i was home on a work related injury and decided to quit everything . You can go out on disability which will be a means of supporting yourself when/if you decide to stop altogether if that’s your goal.

Last edited:
Just a little pinprick, thanks for your response. The symptoms are nothing like I had while I was tapering benzos. This is definitely different.
Congrats on being benzo and gaba free! I dream of the day! Yes, if I could I would use weed to help me I would but I don't like the high anymore..makes me anxious.. I do use edibles for sleep though and they are a huge help! I so wish I could get disability so I could get off all of it once and for all! I have a whole host of health conditions that might help me swing getting approved, but people tend to say it's very difficult. The thing is you can't be working when you apply , so that's an issue. I need $ and insurance :(.

Jackaroe , thank you for responding. It's crazy how everyone reacts so differently. My doctors think I'm crazy and maybe I am! I know that quick taper off gaba made me very crazy. I wasn't expecting it at all because my docs told me there would be no issue, but it hit me very hard. It was quite scary..the thoughts I was having. I think you bring up a good point that the use of both gaba and benzo at the same time could possibly be causing an issue. The withdrawals are definitely a different feeling for each though. Thanks again!

Just a little pinprick, thanks for your response. The symptoms are nothing like I had while I was tapering benzos. This is definitely different.
Congrats on being benzo and gaba free! I dream of the day! Yes, if I could I would use weed to help me I would but I don't like the high anymore..makes me anxious.. I do use edibles for sleep though and they are a huge help! I so wish I could get disability so I could get off all of it once and for all! I have a whole host of health conditions that might help me swing getting approved, but people tend to say it's very difficult. The thing is you can't be working when you apply , so that's an issue. I need $ and insurance :(.
Just so you are aware of this but I went into a detox then a rehab for 90 days and collected disability for it ( yes kicking a heroin habit), you’ll have about a three week wait while your claim is processed and you start receiving your every other week payments, as long as you are under a doctors care you can remain on disability.

Just a little pinprick, thank you so much for sharing this with me. I have seriously considered going to detox but am terrified because of what I've read about the damage a rapid detox of benzos does to people. Apparently many end up bedridden for sometime after. I am also on my own, so I would have no one to help me or take care of my pets during the time I recover. I really want to just do it and get it over with, but I"m scared! I commend you for doing it. I know it must've been hell, but I'm sure you're glad you did it in the end. Just out of curiosity, did you apply for the disability before you went into detox? I appreciate your help so much.

Just a little pinprick, thank you so much for sharing this with me. I have seriously considered going to detox but am terrified because of what I've read about the damage a rapid detox of benzos does to people. Apparently many end up bedridden for sometime after. I am also on my own, so I would have no one to help me or take care of my pets during the time I recover. I really want to just do it and get it over with, but I"m scared! I commend you for doing it. I know it must've been hell, but I'm sure you're glad you did it in the end. Just out of curiosity, did you apply for the disability before you went into detox? I appreciate your help so much.
I did that years ago when I was in my 20’s, the doctors and staff are more then willing to help you ,
I think you’ll be fine doing your daily stuff around the house it’s actually beneficial cause laying around makes is worse . I’m a single person too, no pets currently but I’m about to get a couple budgies
I’m on disability now for my back and a recurring uti ,I lost a testicle to cancer in February

I think your at a jumping off point anyways and the only reason I’d go thru a detox is to get the disability papers started, you’ll need to resubmit new papers every time your treated by a new place which would be the rehab or aftercare whichever you choose, I guess a aftercare cause the pets.
(Me having just been thru it there’s no way I’d wanna do this in a rehab) Too stressful…

Last edited:
oh man, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so many health issues. You've been through your share of misery. I hope you're on the mend. Those little budgies might be good medicine!

So you think 8 mg of valium is a jumping off point? I feel like it's still such a high dose....way better than it was though. When my doctor switched me from klonopin to valium, she put me on 16 mg. Who knew one little klonopin equalled so many mg of valium and some sources say one klonopin equals 20 mg!
I really appreciate your help with this. I have tried so many times to find info on getting disability while coming off these drugs and just can't get anyone to discuss how they did it. Thank you!!

Sorry I dont know much about gabapentin withdrawal I just want to say that I think the worst possible thing you can say to somebody who is experiencing withdrawal is that they are not experiencing withdrawal. Maybe its psychological, maybe its not, it doesn't matter. Obviously willow is distressed and needs some support. Everybodys brain works differently, I don't see why its its unfathomable that a drug that has similar effects to gaba agonists causes withdrawal symptoms in some people.

Anyway I wish you the best and hope you find a solution. Gabapentin is common suggestion as to how to avoid other withdrawals so I don't have many ideas, maybe kava? Its may give you some relief and is definitely not addictive.

oh man, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so many health issues. You've been through your share of misery. I hope you're on the mend. Those little budgies might be good medicine!

So you think 8 mg of valium is a jumping off point? I feel like it's still such a high dose....way better than it was though. When my doctor switched me from klonopin to valium, she put me on 16 mg. Who knew one little klonopin equalled so many mg of valium and some sources say one klonopin equals 20 mg!
I really appreciate your help with this. I have tried so many times to find info on getting disability while coming off these drugs and just can't get anyone to discuss how they did it. Thank you!!
My problem when tapering was I was splitting pills ( 10 mg Valium) with a razor so my doses were all over the place , Are you taking a 5,2 & a 1 mg pill ?
I stood at a dose for about a month before dropping lower,and I stopped at 5 mg and walked away from them all together.
I found going from 40 mg a day to about 15 mg a day was pretty easy , but getting down to smaller doses that’s when things became more difficult.
I think your doing great you chopped your original habit in half down to 8 mg , I’d drop it again down to 5 mg then stop them , my first week or so without them wasn’t bad but things ramp up around the 2 week mark and last about a month,nothing you can’t handle , if your home , being out around people all the time would’ve been rough for me ,

Folks don’t talk about getting disability for going to rehab simply because a lot of people don’t know you can , if your eligible don’t be scared to utilize it , not having to worry about financial matters was a HUGE load off my mind while going thru this ,you can do it.

I can't imagine making that kind of cut! When I got down to 6 mg I freaked out, had a major panic attack and my doctor bumped me back up to 8 mg. My anxiety was through the roof every day and I wasn't sleeping. He put me on gabapentin which helped but I think it hurt too because he told me I could take it as needed and given my experience with trying to come off it later, I think the on/off dosing I was doing at the time was really messing with me.
Did you not have terrible anxiety? I was losing my mind and I had severe neck pain too . It was awful and I know this term is thrown around a lot, but it was such a bad experience that I feel like I went through a form of trauma because my doctors all thought I was overreacting and I didn't receive the support I needed. So, now I'm terrified of going back there. I also have a nervous system disorder and that may be part of the reason I had such a tough time.
At first I was dropping by 10percent every two weeks , then once a month, then 5% every two weeks and then 5% once a month and at that point, I was not adapting. Like you it was way easier in the beginning but the smaller the dose, the harder it got.
Like you said, I would like to work towards 5 mg like you suggested and then try treatment. I"m currently taking 4 two mg tablets at bedtime and I STILL have issues sleeping and some anxiety. And now I'm stuck on not only valium, but buspar and gabapentin.
And yes, all along I broke the tablets but the doctor would give me 1 mg tablets along with the 2 mg so I could get more accurate cuts.
I could definitely get medical leave from work for 4 months and then apply for short term disability and hopefully get it. I work for a college so they have a pretty good system but they tell me you have to be completely incapacitated to receive the disability. I could always try for regular disability if the school denied me.

Thanks again for all your help. You're the first person to really spend the time and help me with this. It really means a lot to me.

My problem when tapering was I was splitting pills ( 10 mg Valium) with a razor so my doses were all over the place , Are you taking a 5,2 & a 1 mg pill ?
I stood at a dose for about a month before dropping lower,and I stopped at 5 mg and walked away from them all together.
I found going from 40 mg a day to about 15 mg a day was pretty easy , but getting down to smaller doses that’s when things became more difficult.
I think your doing great you chopped your original habit in half down to 8 mg , I’d drop it again down to 5 mg then stop them , my first week or so without them wasn’t bad but things ramp up around the 2 week mark and last about a month,nothing you can’t handle , if your home , being out around people all the time would’ve been rough for me ,

Folks don’t talk about getting disability for going to rehab simply because a lot of people don’t know you can , if your eligible don’t be scared to utilize it , not having to worry about financial matters was a HUGE load off my mind while going thru this ,you can do it.
I didnt even know this either. Its been 2 1/2 years since I went to rehab in AZ (veteran). Would I still be eligible to collect disability?

I can't imagine making that kind of cut! When I got down to 6 mg I freaked out, had a major panic attack and my doctor bumped me back up to 8 mg. My anxiety was through the roof every day and I wasn't sleeping. He put me on gabapentin which helped but I think it hurt too because he told me I could take it as needed and given my experience with trying to come off it later, I think the on/off dosing I was doing at the time was really messing with me.
Did you not have terrible anxiety? I was losing my mind and I had severe neck pain too . It was awful and I know this term is thrown around a lot, but it was such a bad experience that I feel like I went through a form of trauma because my doctors all thought I was overreacting and I didn't receive the support I needed. So, now I'm terrified of going back there. I also have a nervous system disorder and that may be part of the reason I had such a tough time.
At first I was dropping by 10percent every two weeks , then once a month, then 5% every two weeks and then 5% once a month and at that point, I was not adapting. Like you it was way easier in the beginning but the smaller the dose, the harder it got.
Like you said, I would like to work towards 5 mg like you suggested and then try treatment. I"m currently taking 4 two mg tablets at bedtime and I STILL have issues sleeping and some anxiety. And now I'm stuck on not only valium, but buspar and gabapentin.
And yes, all along I broke the tablets but the doctor would give me 1 mg tablets along with the 2 mg so I could get more accurate cuts.
I could definitely get medical leave from work for 4 months and then apply for short term disability and hopefully get it. I work for a college so they have a pretty good system but they tell me you have to be completely incapacitated to receive the disability. I could always try for regular disability if the school denied me.

Thanks again for all your help. You're the first person to really spend the time and help me with this. It really means a lot to me.
Wow that’s pretty much how I got tapering , I was a mess, and just thought I was prolonging the misery by tapering and the quickest way to feel better was to just stop altogether ( like I said earlier “ I couldn’t do this while working” ) so that’s what I did but things got intense for me at about the 2 week mark ( I’ll never take benzos again )
In the beginning I was only sleeping about 4 hours a night and during those 4 hours I got up what felt like every 15 minutes then went back to sleep,sleeping gets better but it’s slow going,but it does get better , a lot better

Your employer has no say what so ever over you filing for disability, if unemployment/ disability insurance is deducted from your paycheck you can collect .
I wouldn’t mention a timeline to your employer on how much time you intend on taking off for treatment , I just wouldn’t do it.

The forms can be found online ,you are responsible for having your employer and your doctor fill out their portion of the forms ,fax them in and in a few weeks you should start receiving funds .
In NJ every month a new medical form needs to be filled out and sent in , your state may be different ,

Last edited:
If I EVER get off these things, I'll never take them again either! For some reason, I thought you went to treatment for heroin alone. Did you get off heroin and benzos at the same time? I can't imagine...
I feel like crap all the time now, I can't imagine what it's going to be like to do it cold turkey. Did the docs give you meds to help with some of the withdrawals? I don't want to replace one bad drug with another but I can't see how I would get through it otherwise.
I talked to an attorney and he's the one that told me I should try to file through the college before attempting to get disability through the state. Apparently, it's a little easier to get and is offered to state employees as a benefit.
I need to check on whether I would need to fill out the forms every month. I assume the doctor that signed your papers was the one you saw while in detox? Did you look for a detox/rehab center that specialized in benzos? They are such a different beast. I've read that a lot of centers aren't really knowledgeable of the damage that can be done by coming off too quickly.

If i was only at 75mg I'd jump off but i was prescribed 4800mg day for years.

simstim, I tried that . I was only taking 100 mg to help me sleep and because I kept hearing there should be no withdrawals, I dropped by 25 mg every week. By the time I reached 50 mg I was a basket case. Seriously suicidal. This wasn't ideation, I was preparing. The anxiety was through the roof too. I am obviously very sensitive to meds and have found others that are the same. If I could take off from work, I would try it again but go a little slower.