• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin - split dosing

axe battler

Moderator: SLR, EADD
Staff member
I have 5 x 300mg gabbies and want to know how to most effectively dose them.
I've heard of stacking your doses.
So 600mg, wait an hour, 600 again then have the last pill an hour later. Just taken my first 600mg.

I normally open the capsules and dump the powder in my mouth. the more powder you dump, the higher you get

If I had 5x 300mg I'd probably just pop them. I used to be prescribed 6x 800mg a day in 3 1600mg doses, but due to absorption issues I found 4x 800mg in 4 divided doses to be more effective.

There's a lot of conjecture regarding Gabapentin administration. One thing we do seem to know for certain, is that the mechanism which Gabapentin uses to enter circulation through the proximal small bowel has a limited capacity and can be saturated to the point that no more Gabapentin can be absorbed. I've read two different sources that claim the maximum dose that could be aborbed in a given day by a human with normal bowel motility would be about 5,000mg.

Anyway, I am not against taking the 600mg as a single dosel, but my understanding was that no more than about 300g-400mg can be absorbed at any given time, so folks commonly will take 300mg -> 45 mins later ->300mg as opposed to the 600mg at once. My personal experience tells me that this is pretty close to accurate. I used to be so stupid with Gabapentin. I would take 25 600mg tablets in a day for instance. It was a total waste and I regret not trying to understand better what was happening with the drug.

In the end, I would get significantly better effects by taking 3,000mg in a day then I would 12,000mg in a day or what have you. These dosages are all on the high side, but I became acquainted with Gabapentin originally for its ability to stop my legs kicking in withdrawal.

Keif & the Wiz are correct. We see this question often on BL about Gabapentin. I've been on Gabapentin a long time & taking more than 300mg at a time is a waste of the med. All of Keif's posts about Gaba in the past are spot on correct. The Wiz's method is what I do. Save some that Gaba if possible; it works wonders for withdrawals for opiates & more.