• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin Rebound?

wormraper

Greenlighter
I have constant nerve pain due to a weight lifting injury a few years ago and after playing with a dozen different pain meds (and getting hooked on percocet's a few months back and getting off) My dr. decided to try Gabapentin.... I know the general use of it and used it for about a week to get off my percocets, but at about 300 mg's in the morning and 300 mg's at night and I never had any issues. HOWEVER, my dr. put me at 900mg (3x300) 3 times a day. Tuesday night was my first night and I got COMPLETELY fubared on 900 mg. felt like I was drunk and stumbling into things, so I decided to not take Wed morning's or night's dose until I could at least talk with my dr, and last night (Wed night) I had the uncomfortable feelings of anxiety, muscle aches and insomnia (still can't sleep and it's 6:00 am where I'm at)... Then I started doing some googling and realizing terrible withdrawals are from this drug...now I know after once dose of 900 mg and a week months ago to get over percocets shouldn't make me DEPENDENT, but can a single 900 mg dose really have rebound symptoms like this? and if so, how long do they last? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with another drug that gives dependency issues, even for the nerve pain I have to deal with due to my sports injury.

I'm in the process of detoxing from gabapentinoid drugs. They are very powerful, enough to treat withdrawal symptoms of any downers such as opiods and benzodiazapenes. Gabapentin alters your CNS and affects neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin , norepinephrine and GABA. Expect ~10 days tops to fully recover from the worst after habitual use.

Possible scenario; unfortunately, knowing little of your situation. Could it be possible that you were just accustomed to the lower dose of Gabapentin (Neurontin) prior to experimenting with your newly increased dose, decided to not take the Gabapentin and in turn experienced some minor withdrawal symptoms?

Gabapentinoids, a small group of substances including, among others, Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Gabapentin, are well known for their relatively quick onset of tolerance and a severe withdrawal for those who have become seriously dependent, but from the sound of it, this doesn't include yourself.

The best course of action with the Gabapentin, is to find the lowest possible dose that leaves you comfortable and try your best to stick with it. Use as little as you can, with as small a frequency as possible. These are great drugs for a variety of purposes, but they're not perfect.

I'm prescribed 90 300mg pills per 30 days, 900mg a day, 300mg 3x a day- for something other than pain.
But I usually just take either none, 600mg twice a day, or 900-1200mg once during the day and this is a wonderful compound, almost like a benzo.
I don't get it for pain but oh my goodness does it ever work wonders for pain

Possible scenario; unfortunately, knowing little of your situation. Could it be possible that you were just accustomed to the lower dose of Gabapentin (Neurontin) prior to experimenting with your newly increased dose, decided to not take the Gabapentin and in turn experienced some minor withdrawal symptoms?

Gabapentinoids, a small group of substances including, among others, Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Gabapentin, are well known for their relatively quick onset of tolerance and a severe withdrawal for those who have become seriously dependent, but from the sound of it, this doesn't include yourself.

The best course of action with the Gabapentin, is to find the lowest possible dose that leaves you comfortable and try your best to stick with it. Use as little as you can, with as small a frequency as possible. These are great drugs for a variety of purposes, but they're not perfect.

that's what I was wondering. I only took it for a week several months ago (around april) and took only 300-600 PER dose twice a day. (and on the rare occaision that i did do 600 mg it was a night before bed). I was just surprised and unnerved when taking this prescription just ONCE and getting not only messed up on it but get some sort of withdrawals or rebound symptoms from it. I thought it took a while to get hooked on it thus I was really surprised and worried when after not taking any for months (and only took it for a week before) that one dose triggered something. unless it's the fastest acting addiction on the face of the planet I would ASSUME it's more rebound than anything, but I'm not scientist or doctor

I have constant nerve pain due to a weight lifting injury a few years ago and after playing with a dozen different pain meds (and getting hooked on percocet's a few months back and getting off) My dr. decided to try Gabapentin.... I know the general use of it and used it for about a week to get off my percocets, but at about 300 mg's in the morning and 300 mg's at night and I never had any issues. HOWEVER, my dr. put me at 900mg (3x300) 3 times a day. Tuesday night was my first night and I got COMPLETELY fubared on 900 mg. felt like I was drunk and stumbling into things, so I decided to not take Wed morning's or night's dose until I could at least talk with my dr, and last night (Wed night) I had the uncomfortable feelings of anxiety, muscle aches and insomnia (still can't sleep and it's 6:00 am where I'm at)... Then I started doing some googling and realizing terrible withdrawals are from this drug...now I know after once dose of 900 mg and a week months ago to get over percocets shouldn't make me DEPENDENT, but can a single 900 mg dose really have rebound symptoms like this? and if so, how long do they last? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with another drug that gives dependency issues, even for the nerve pain I have to deal with due to my sports injury.

How recently did you stop the PERCOCET/OXYCODONE? The anxiety, muscle aches, and the insomnia you mentioned sound more like opiate withdrawal symptoms to me.

I am also on GABAPENTIN, and have been on it for just over 1½ years. I had gotten into abusing the medication for quite a while, taking way larger doses than I was prescribed, and would run out of it 2-3 weeks early. Over MONTHS of using GABAPENTIN in doses of at least 2100mg+ daily, I would have to find it from friends or on the street when I ran out, because I had become dependent on it, and would get withdrawal symptoms when I did not have it. The main symptoms I noticed while in GABAPENTIN withdrawal was CONFUSION, SPACINESS, PARANOIA, SWEATING, and NIGHTMARES, and FEELING DUSCONNECTED FROM REALITY. Strange stuff.

I don't think you are WD'ing from the GABAPENTIN bro, 300mg 3x/day, and one 900mg dose over the span of a week is a rather small amount. I don't think it is enough to cause dependency issues and withdrawal from GABAPENTIN. I am thinking it is just minor withdrawal symptoms as a result of discontinuing the PERCOCET/OXYCODONE. The GABAPENTIN is good for helping minor opiate withdrawal symptoms too. Someone posted above to use small amounts and working your way up to the dose that works best for you. Since 900mg gave you those effects, it seems that you have little tolerance to GABAPENTIN, and under that dose seems to be where you wanna be.

Hope you feel better soon bud.

How recently did you stop the PERCOCET/OXYCODONE? The anxiety, muscle aches, and the insomnia you mentioned sound more like opiate withdrawal symptoms to me.

I am also on GABAPENTIN, and have been on it for just over 1½ years. I had gotten into abusing the medication for quite a while, taking way larger doses than I was prescribed, and would run out of it 2-3 weeks early. Over MONTHS of using GABAPENTIN in doses of at least 2100mg+ daily, I would have to find it from friends or on the street when I ran out, because I had become dependent on it, and would get withdrawal symptoms when I did not have it. The main symptoms I noticed while in GABAPENTIN withdrawal was CONFUSION, SPACINESS, PARANOIA, SWEATING, and NIGHTMARES, and FEELING DUSCONNECTED FROM REALITY. Strange stuff.

I don't think you are WD'ing from the GABAPENTIN bro, 300mg 3x/day, and one 900mg dose over the span of a week is a rather small amount. I don't think it is enough to cause dependency issues and withdrawal from GABAPENTIN. I am thinking it is just minor withdrawal symptoms as a result of discontinuing the PERCOCET/OXYCODONE. The GABAPENTIN is good for helping minor opiate withdrawal symptoms too. Someone posted above to use small amounts and working your way up to the dose that works best for you. Since 900mg gave you those effects, it seems that you have little tolerance to GABAPENTIN, and under that dose seems to be where you wanna be.

Hope you feel better soon bud.

I gave up the perc's in April, but a week ago I used once but never had any WD symptoms as it was a once off

I see. I guess it could be some rebound effects from using the GABAPENTIN, then stopping abruptly, but I really wouldn't worry about it, those doses you were on are so small, no harm, no foul. You'll be OK.

well, hopefully it's just rebound, cuz the last couple nights have been really bizarre. I'm fine during the day, but the minute I start winding down for bed I get hit with anxiety and insomnia that can last for 5-6 hours past my bed time. meds like benadryl or a muscle relaxent like Flexeril just make me sleepy but It won't let me actually sleep till I'm dead on my feet. this only started happening the night AFTER I took the gaba... I had been sleeping like a normal human being for months