• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin Misinformation must Stop

likeakite

Bluelighter
So Ive been taking Gabapentin 2,500 mgs a day for 7 years. I wanted to quit but after reading reports on Gabapentin withdrawal, one guy said it was worse than heroin and alcohol withdrawal combined. I was to afraid to quit. Well it finally happened, all my sources dried up, no more Gabapentin. I got some kratom and edibles. Its been 10 days and Im still waiting for withdrawal to start. These false horror stories keep people who want to stop too afraid to do it. Thats not harm reduction. Its the opposite, it keeps people too afraid to quit. One post said after only 3 days of using Gabapentin use they were having horrible withdrawal. These posts should be deleted or moved to a page made just for bullshit horror stories. One guy said he drank a bottle of hard booze every day for 10 years and said he quit cold turkey and had zero withdrawals. Join me in getting all these Trolls put aside, that will be "harm reduction "

People have different bodies which react to different substances in a different manner.

Some people experience stronger physical dependancies, and some experience stronger mental addictions.

Consider yourself lucky you came out without symptoms, just remember that you can't skip out on the check forever.

So Ive been taking Gabapentin 2,500 mgs a day for 7 years. I wanted to quit but after reading reports on Gabapentin withdrawal, one guy said it was worse than heroin and alcohol withdrawal combined. I was to afraid to quit. Well it finally happened, all my sources dried up, no more Gabapentin. I got some kratom and edibles. Its been 10 days and Im still waiting for withdrawal to start. These false horror stories keep people who want to stop too afraid to do it. Thats not harm reduction. Its the opposite, it keeps people too afraid to quit. One post said after only 3 days of using Gabapentin use they were having horrible withdrawal. These posts should be deleted or moved to a page made just for bullshit horror stories. One guy said he drank a bottle of hard booze every day for 10 years and said he quit cold turkey and had zero withdrawals. Join me in getting all these Trolls put aside, that will be "harm reduction "

Well just because you didn't experience much in terms of withdrawal doesn't "prove" that no one else does 🤔. You're making an assumption that everyone's neurochemistry resembles yours.

Personally, I was once hooked on pregabalin, tapered a bit and switched to gabapentin. Then I did a quick taper, and stopped the gabapentin.

It is true, I really didn't feel much in terms of withdrawal. Except when I tried to sleep. I couldn't. Near complete insomnia, it was brutal. I was absolutely fine during the day (save for the effects of the sleep deprivation), but after week upon week of severe insomnia I gave up and got some phenibut.

So this whole "gabapentin misinformation must stop" notion of yours is kind of bs. In fact you seem pretty wound up about this whole subject, sounds like you might be in need of some gabapentin yourself to take the edge off 🤔

Kratom and Edibles=just??, well I see somehow future question,,,1. Will gabapentin hold Kratom withdrawals? ;-),
Gabapentin is one of the mild in gaba-world (benzos, pregabalin, Phenibut) are all stronger in potency and while I thought I can jump from pregabalin
Oh and I can! sometimes it's 3 days, sometimes it's 6 but in the end I end up on it again cause Insomnia and RLS in my case and while I'm not some baby
Trust me I sometimes push myself as I'm never in psychosis and learned to breathe and to calm myself but then comes that feeling of doom and pointlessnes, apathy+ tinitus+stomachcramps+diarrea+anhedonia+sleep deprivation and I wish only to endure more but I just can't cause mostly I can't be irresponsible and do that!

Look those horror stories If you start to read on that terms, or you can't spot BS on WWW. you will torture yourself! its like Negro said maybe the IRritability which is my one of the pregabalin symptoms of withdrawal is showing you but I think If you are not on other comfort substances and don't feel nothing in a week from now you just don't think about it! and you are lucky cause 7 yrs is a loong time, I'm like 3 on Pregabalin!

I believe that sometimes person just get lucky with couple life-drug-chem variables and I saw it and heard of it, Look I stop the alcohol like 3 years of almost every day but I was 23yr old so, I don't remeber much withdrawals, If I start to drink now in mid30s like that I would be in very bad place!

I was on 600mg/d pregabalin for months, then some weeks 900mg/d until I recognized that it won't help me anymore, so I quit. Cold turkey, and no withdrawal. Yeah, people are different, and I was lucky, but this doesn't mean that others won't get bad withdrawals. Wonder what's the cause though, I speculated that it might have to do with the tolerance I built up (to the point of 1.2g doing absolutely nothing besides a little weird zaps in the extremities) but I'm by no means sure. Or it might have had to do with my concomitant intake of kratom. And by the amount of reports we see I think gabapentinoid withdrawal is very real for many,

I guess when medication is working for you like pregabalin, when started I had to play with doses and now 3-4 years later I see it as beneficial!
I think now the side-effects are minimal and the blood test...kidney are normal with supplementing with potassium in a day when not taking pregabalin which also point to a improved quality of life as I can take it 4-5 days in a week with obvious breaks.
High doses or going recreational simple are not logical after this years because of the tolerance and going in overdrive manic states!
So If OP you don't see your quality of life improved or stable on gabapentin I agree with you and understand your stoping it and I praise you and I'm almost certain that you will not have withdrawals if not these days!
Keep us informed please
Stay strong and safe

I had areally bad wd from pregabs styill on them andf known a women who had bad wd from gabapentin . Pregab wd is worse the a heroin wd got close to committing suicide on on e wd . Some people dont get a buzz from pregabs or a wd but from my eperiance pregabs is a horrible wd

my eperiance pregabs is a horrible wd
My experience with pregabalin cessation is the same. Plays too many mind games and those dark thoughts bring me down sooooo far that it just seems not worth the trouble.
However... I find recreating on a couple or three hundred mgs about once a month to be relieving and fun.
Out of all the drugs taken in my life this one I will refuse to becoming addicted to or eat like candy for prolonged periods. Flat out refuse.
Some do not get the withdrawals that others do with pregabalin but I am one who goes to a very dark place if I use (even at prescribed dosages) and/or abuse it for a week or two. Not worth the mental fuckery IMO/E.

My experience with pregabalin cessation is the same. Plays too many mind games and those dark thoughts bring me down sooooo far that it just seems not worth the trouble.
However... I find recreating on a couple or three hundred mgs about once a month to be relieving and fun.
Out of all the drugs taken in my life this one I will refuse to becoming addicted to or eat like candy for prolonged periods. Flat out refuse.
Some do not get the withdrawals that others do with pregabalin but I am one who goes to a very dark place if I use (even at prescribed dosages) and/or abuse it for a week or two. Not worth the mental fuckery IMO/E.
It was a wonder drug for heroin wd made the rattle so easyi swapped addiction at the worse point i was taking 30 300 mg a day but this time i did a long long taper anf=d got down to 150 mg and jumped with diazepam it was easy but if you jump from massive amount its the worse wd and it just a minnd fuck . I still on the pregabs had ten 300 mgtodaybut i only do it a few times a week

It takes me to the worse place i was beaten by my dad and it brought all of it back i had the belt looped and was ready to stick it in door and die .

It takes me to the worse place
WDs from pregabalin makes me feel like I am a total waste of space/time and a fuck up of epic proportions and do not deserve to be here on planet earth it would be better if I weren't.
This is why I refuse to be dependent on this substance.
I get it.
Much love
<3

WDs from pregabalin makes me feel like I am a total waste of space/time and a fuck up of epic proportions and do not deserve to be here on planet earth it would be better if I weren't.
This is why I refuse to be dependent on this substance.
I get it.
Much love
<3
I some people who love it they prescribed at first it a wonder drug takes anxiety away but the tolerance goes through the roof you doing well to stay away please keep it tat way i same as you the wd makes me feel like a waste of space and thoughts my family be better of without me . O n a heroin wd i never consider suicide but the pregab wd is the worse

the wd makes me feel like a waste of space and thoughts my family be better of without me .
Finally someone else who sees what I do. I mean I have a coupla old ass bat shit crazy buds from way back that have the same wd symptoms and will stay away from it. We were all on other shit by Rx and we don't toss the pregab out as it can be a fairly decent recreational if handled properly. Fun to get "drunk" for a while with a little benzo feeling going on to boot (from the pregab). Dont have to worry about sick or smell of alcohol or the hangovers....
Still dangerous as fuck if driving at high doses or working around a new nuclear fusion plant. :laughing: I find it does in fact fuck with my cognition and more so my coordination.
Kinda how I see it. lol

Oddly enough I was reading Reddit. (never really did that as it is too much). But I notice most say they did not get a withdrawal worth speaking of if I were collecting data. Now benzos it seems univeral, it is hell. But pregabalin and gabapentin get different responses.

Here is what I think, I spoke to a few non BL or Reddit people who take pregabalin or gabapentin daily. Non mention a withdrawal and they forget their pills all the time. I think if a person does get an effect from these and enjoys it, then stopping may be harder. Reading other reports some people have hard times even tapering.

I don't know what to think. I have been prescribed gabapentin for 6 years. Suppose to take 900 mgs a day. But I barely take 1800 mgs in a week. Honestly I just want some for when I jump off kratom. I do enjoy the effects though. Music is great

i just read a lot pf posts on Reddit where people stopped after being on for years and had no real issue. Others had horrendous withdrawal. Then of course on Reddit there are people that say they took 300 mgs a day for a week and now can't hear or see. LOL (all kinds)

Good avatar though op I love that big foot picture. It’s been studied by experts and baffled the guys that made the costumes for Planet Of The Apes.

I get that without pregabalin. :)

Last edited:
Finally someone else who sees what I do. I mean I have a coupla old ass bat shit crazy buds from way back that have the same wd symptoms and will stay away from it. We were all on other shit by Rx and we don't toss the pregab out as it can be a fairly decent recreational if handled properly. Fun to get "drunk" for a while with a little benzo feeling going on to boot (from the pregab). Dont have to worry about sick or smell of alcohol or the hangovers....
Still dangerous as fuck if driving at high doses or working around a new nuclear fusion plant. :laughing: I find it does in fact fuck with my cognition and more so my coordination.
Kinda how I see it. lol
If i tell you i was a lorry driver in the states we call it a truck i drove heavy loads while on gear im not proud of it but i handled it great pods and gabs until i got home and smoked brown. I did that for 13 years . I love the pregab buzzz music sounds great . But the downside is the wd i feel guilty of missed rtimes with kids my cunt of a old man in one wd said the wrong brother died my younger brother died us three brothers were a punch bag for him . The feelings of just wanting a hug from him the fear we lived with comes back . Heroin keeps my mind at peace i wish i never tried pregabs . Im now prescribed pregabalin 600 mg a day plus the 700 odd 30 mg i got mailed to me but im moving back to states in 2 days and being there i hate he dead but the memories come back and i worried if the doctor in states will prescribe pregabalin because i get it here

Saying all that me and my wife went to see pearl jam and i was buzzzing ion pregabs and coke best concert of my life and sex on pregabs is greart i been on heroin for years and that kills the sex drive but on prtergabs im like a bull in heat

I know people who have drank heavy for 10 years and quit cold. Turkey with no withdrawal. I've had to be hospitalized for my alcohol withdrawal four times.

I'm a controlled drinker now but I wasn't always.
Gabapentin has a very different mechanism of action. It's very far upstream from the actual changes it makes for your brain. It does not actually interact with GABA receptors. "Gabapentin antagonizes thrombospondin binding to α2δ-1 and powerfully inhibits excitatory synapse formation in vitro and in vivo."

Somewhere in the midst of doing that gaba concentrations in the brain increased dramatically, but it doesn't actually directly interact with gaba receptors.

There are some new evidence that perhaps a little bit with a gabab, but we're not sure.

That said, the mechanism of action is strange and pathways and people's bodies to get from that one. One receptor to an effective increase in GABA isn't straightforward. And the effects of that increase on people's brains is not the same. You had no withdrawal, other people have significant and serious withdrawal.

I've been on- off gabapentin, most of my adult life. I've also kicked subs mdone, heroin, fentanyl, Xanax and klonopin. I've NEVER even noticed coming off of gaba 900mg/ day. As where all other drugs mentioned were hell. So I dunno about crazy high doses of neurontin, but at 900mg at least was not noticed by ME anyway

For me, acute pregabalin withdrawal was probably one of the worst experiences I've had from drugs, and I've come off opiates and benzos numerous times. I was taking 1-2 grams daily for months and getting absolutely fucked up (amazing drug, let's be honest) and when I stopped, incredible nausea, bugs crawling on skin, brutal insomnia, anxiety and racing thoughts, panic, depression, vomiting. Physically, I've felt sicker from opioids but the way my mind felt from pregabalin wd was intolerable. I caved and relapsed and eventually tapered over a few months to about 150mg and then stepped off and was fine. But the acute withdrawal from a high dose was a nightmare. Everyone's different.

While scaring people with stories of horrible WDs isn’t a HR and I think many deciding to go pussy way and tapering something for ages, supplementing with a lot of other meds/herbs and such things often are totally contra-productive and end up with person being in a worse place than simply biting the bullet of WD that often doesn’t end up being nearly as terrible as expected by most. As an example cases of people stopping year long alcohol habit cold turkey without much problems is more common than person ending up in seizures but going by stuff online you might conclude you probably wont live if you try so. Same goes for just about anything. A lot more people using somewhat reasonable dose of, tramadolum is especially good example for this, opiod are more likely to manage WDs with a help of benzo and antidepressant without having horrible experience than those ending up with PAWS. Those and many other example are in total contrast with real life experiences and what you’ll read. Same goes with when you google some condition and look up pictures you’ll mostly get examples of extreme and worst cases.

BUT there’s exact opposite problem parallel to this. People, I guess good word is bragging, how they used x for y time in z amount and got no problems at all stopping it. How they use MDMA or something that requires similar percussion, very often and didn’t suffer any consequences. How they did a dangerous combo but it turned out just fine. How they abuse RCs for years but are smart enough to abuse them properly so have zeros problems. And countless other variations on that which are examples where we’re likely simply not hearing silent majority.

Given all that everyone should be aware we’re much likely to hear about extreme cases, be it of positive or negative outcomes and not somewhere in between what is in fact most common in reality but such people don’t bother reporting – it wasn’t that bad nor it was that easy – cases simply cuz that kind of things no matter in what walk of life, concerning whatever, simply don’t hit the headlines nor make a very interesting story.