• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin & fluoxitine

speedballs_over

Bluelighter
I realize this is an HR forum for humans. But I have a question about my dog - for real. Those who "know me" here know I wouldn't try to hide anything, I'm very open.

Bluelighters, pls do me a holiday favor and allow me to pick the brains of owners of their best friends.

My dog's been prescribed 100-mg gabapentin and 20-mg fluoxitine both q.d. po (per day by mouth). Has anyone else had their dog on either of these two meds? At the same time?

The vet was going to prescribe tramadol but when I went to pick it up the receptionist said vet decided it could interact with the fluoxitine, is that an SSRI/serotonin syndrome issue? Or maybe he changed his mind after talking to me, he knows I'm an opioid addict, but probably doesn't know I'm in remission and on ORT.

My dog's meds are for age related arthritic pain (osteoarthritis) and night time nervousness (similar to the human phenomena, casually termed "sundowners syndrome.")

I appreciate your input. I don't much trust vet or other pet websites. I trust my veterinarian though I've had terrible reactions myself to both compounds. I'm not assuming my dog will have any issue just b/c I did.

He's a 12 yr old Labrador in excellent condition except the pain and night anxiety. We get lots of daily exercise, etc... He's 35 Kg. Very fit. Lean and still very energetic.

He reacts well to occasional Valium but seeing as I'm dealing with a benzo dependency I'm not going that route, esp., now that he has these meds. I'd never want my best buddy to suffer as I am.