• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentin and marijuana

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
So i have had a prescription for neurontin (gabapentin) for about a year now and ive been having some problems with it when it comes to smokeing. It seems like when im on a regular dose of gaba (900mgs) and i try smoking bud I really dont get that high. Is there a reason for this? Ive givin it to my friends on a few occasions and they told me it made them completely sober after smoking a session.

IIRC, part of cannabis's mechanism of action is due to a depression of GABA signaling in the hippocampus. Administration of a GABA agonist like gabapeptin could interfere with this process and change the high. Just a guess, though.

^No prob. For further reading, see:

Kang-Park, Maeng-Hee; Wilson, Wilkie A.; Kuhn, Cynthia M.; Moore, Scott D.; Swartzwelder, H. Scott; Differential sensitivity of GABA-sub(A) receptor-mediated IPSCs to cannabinoids in hippocampal slices from adolescent and adult rats. ; Journal of Neurophysiology, Vol 98 (3), Sep 2007. pp. 1223-1230.

Btw, AMD, I was just rocking out to yer song a while ago.

♪ ♫ "Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend.
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again." ♫ ♪

:D

marijuana on lyrica is completely different than weed by itself, i feel really good, relax, a little dumb, calm, and natural right now and it feels similar to xanax or klonopin but different hahahahaha

^ it has the opposite effect on me. When i smoke when im on neurontin i am unable to get the calm, relaxed feeling....and as for the dumb feeling goes its teh exact opposite. I tend to want to read, draw, write clean my appt anything to keep my busy. It feels like it makes me brain work overtime and ive actually came up with alot of good ideas/insights while on a nice dose of neurontin and weed. I should alos note I only smoke headies so maybe that is why i dont get the calm relaxed effect? Even when im sober the headies i get around here usually stimulate me and make me more creative....i could see if i was smoking regs or mids how i mite be couch locked..

This does not belong in PD, sorry. Gabapentin is not a psychedelic drug, so it can go to OD, BDD or ADD - no clue which is the best for you, please choose. If not, then OD will be picked.

IIRC, part of cannabis's mechanism of action is due to a depression of GABA signaling in the hippocampus. Administration of a GABA agonist like gabapeptin could interfere with this process and change the high. Just a guess, though.

Neurontin (gabapentin)'s mechanism of action does not pertain to the GABA type receptors. Gabapentin is structurally similar to GABA and was meant to act upon these systems, but does not exert GABA-ergic effects. They are thought to work on Calcium channels. The mechanism of action is still not very well understood.

Neurontin (gabapentin)'s mechanism of action does not pertain to the GABA type receptors. Gabapentin is structurally similar to GABA and was meant to act upon these systems, but does not exert GABA-ergic effects. They are thought to work on Calcium channels. The mechanism of action is still not very well understood.

Neurontin is an analog of GABA just like Lyrica and Gabitril. They understand at least that much. Everything else is up in the air.

I've had all three of them and they're weird drugs. I'm not a fan.

And if GABA agonists cause a degradation of the marijuana high then why does marijuana trigger panic attacks in me even when I'm loaded up on benzos? I got absolutely blasted every time I smoked since I've been on benzos and I've got the panic attack memories to show for it. I think its probably another property of Neurontin. All three of them are very odd drugs, I had a freak reaction with Neurontin at just 600mg that sent me into a 24 hour dissociative/opiate/benzo/somethingelse trip that caused me to stop taking it and nobody ever figured out what caused it.

Mmm, got great results yesterday with the mix, was quite nice, bit hard not bumping into the walls tho. Two thumbs.

Hello every one,

Its nice to have here in the broad discussion I am Bilal and am 31 year old male. I had been smoking marijuana for the last 4 to 5 years. I smoked weed day and night with out breaks and I did not sleep at the nights. one day I got migraine and my half head got heavy pain. my Mama take me to the psychiatric and he told us that I am in addiction. The doctor prescribed me Gabapentin 300mg Capsules 2 at night and 1 in the morning.

I have a question here Can I smoke marijuana with Gabapentin? or can I smoke marijuana before Gabapentin?

^There's no dangerous interactions, if that's what you mean. I think cannabis goes well with any other psychotropic substance, just not if you're trying to get shit done.

Similar Experience

Neurontin is an analog of GABA just like Lyrica and Gabitril. They understand at least that much. Everything else is up in the air.

I've had all three of them and they're weird drugs. I'm not a fan.

And if GABA agonists cause a degradation of the marijuana high then why does marijuana trigger panic attacks in me even when I'm loaded up on benzos? I got absolutely blasted every time I smoked since I've been on benzos and I've got the panic attack memories to show for it. I think its probably another property of Neurontin. All three of them are very odd drugs, I had a freak reaction with Neurontin at just 600mg that sent me into a 24 hour dissociative/opiate/benzo/somethingelse trip that caused me to stop taking it and nobody ever figured out what caused it.

I know this post was quite awhile ago now. But just a few days ago I experienced something while smoking. I've just been put on Neurontin. Currently at 600mg now. And this was the first time ever smoking while taking it. And I have no idea what happened but I'm not sure if it's because of the medication or a combination but I was found in my driveway screaming and then had another episode after that where I guess my eyes where going all crazy but all I remember is not being able to breathe and waking up saying I'm ok and I'm here... apparently I was screaming this again too. I remember what happened outside but it just doesn't make much sense. It doesn't sound like 'tripping' just sounds/felt some weird state of uncontrol. Could this be something like what you felt when you say a dissociative/..trip? I do take one benzo. I'm now off all opiates. But yea I'm just looking to see if maybe it was a remotely similar experience? Thank in advance in the off chance that you actually see this.

Last edited:
Gabapentin (Neurontin) is not a GABA anolog. It works on the calcium and sodium channels. As aforementioned, they created it as a GABA analog, I believe in the 60's. Ironically, it has zero affinity for any GABA receptors.

I have 8 years of recreational gabapentin use, and think of myself as a well knowledged person when it comes to this chemical. There are some things that gabapentin will NOT work with. I have found that if you smoke a bunch, or especially eat any THC, your gabapentin will not work. Some herbs also completely block the chemistry.

Kava is an herb that is quite unique with regards to gabapentin, as well as alcohol. With gabapentin, if taken together, it creates an almost antisocial and mega mellowed out experience. Not awesome, IMO. However, if you take kava a minimum of 9 hours BEFORE a Gabapentin dose during a gabapentin binge, it stops tolerance increase. With consistent kava use, your gabapentin AND alcohol tolerance will drop. The reason being, is kava has a reverse tolerance. And since it plays on calcium channels, as well as GABA receptors, it reverses both tolerances.

As for drug interactions, here is what I've found: MDMA and gabapentin cause black outs. Gabapentin mixed with LSD can negate nausea. Gabapentin and opiates/oids, gabapentin effects are increased, and opiate slightly decreased. Gabapentin and alcohol is a strange one. If you drink to the point of a buzz before taking gabapentin, the gabapentin will not work. I haven't figured out why yet. And no, it's not because of GABA activity. Gabapentin before weed is great, but too much weed/THC before the gabapentin, leads to the 'pentin not working hardly at all, no matter the dose. Gabapentin and cocaine... Well, it's cocaine. So, once the cocaine enters your system, the gabapentin completely disappears.

The more you know. Most of this can be verified though PubMed. Also, any questions, PM me. I used to love my cocktails, and have ridiculous experiences with various combinations. Be safe.

Last edited: