• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

GABAergics, which are the best ones?

Having clinical insomnia and clinical narcolepsy probably since I was born, I am a heavy user of GABAergics, and today, if don't take any of them for like, 48 hours, I start getting deleriant and I become prone to seizures.

Personally, as a fulltime sysadmin, I think that Alprazolam it's the better drug for me because it helps me sleep in a few hours after the intake (say I do 6 mg of Alprazolam at 10 pm and I am very sleepy at 1 am), then I am able to get up very well at morning (4~7 am, it depends on my somnolence) to go to work. Carisoprodol helps A LOT, a gram of Carisoprodol enhances any benzodiazepine at least twice for me. It is also short lasting. An opioid like Codeine or Tramadol helps too, but I prefer to take them only as recreational drugs and not for my neurological problems.

Aside from GABAergics, I have found that Dyphenhydramine it's an excellent downer, and it will make you sleep no matter what~ but you will be poisoning your body with Atropine, plus your neuronal firing will keep rising, so just use it in case of emergency.

Hope this helps.

Benzos are 2nd rate except for certain ones in my opinion

Benzos: xanax, klonopin, nimetazepam (some japanese one called errimin- 5 or something), midazolam, rohypnol!, valium, Temazepam.

GHB/GBL- excellent

Top Shelp oldies but goodies:

Seconal!, amytal, nembutal, tuinal (combo)
Placidyl!, glutethamide, methaqualone!,
Chloral Hydrate! (safe one thats great for sleep and needs to be brought back-limited effect on REM inlike others)
Know ludes by reputation only. These are the best GABA drugs (some effect AMPA too). Used in south afrika by smoking. I'll post clips if I find.

Paraldehyde- excellent drug, probably best out there except for maybe propofol for intractable Dts and has advantage that you don't need patient to be intubate. Does stinck like shit.

I think there was one called methprylon or something and valmid/ethinamate but my memory is rusyt and Goodman and Gilman in storage.

meprobramate (so-so)

I'll mention others if I think of. By the way, seconal getting reintroduced to market! Marathon pharms- thread in BL.

Another little tidbit about GABA:
There is a benzo site elucidated, believe that it increases how many times the channel opens thus letting chloride in. Also this site is allosteric from the BA-ionophre complex, GABA is ligand gated which means the receptos for GABA is on the channel intstead of going through a second messangers system like dopamine, for instance. There is a barbituate site on the channel. This increases the amont of time the chanel stays open not the number of times per micrsecond or whatever with benzos. You have GHB can't remember is pharmacology but seem to remember someting about GABA B (someone help me out). All the other fun ones are on GABA A. There are steroid anaesthetics that have a site on ionophore. EtOH last I heard has a site inside the chanel that it binds to and enhances cl- influx. It also inhibits NMDA like PCP maybe in an analogous but less potent wat. Barbituates inhibit AMPA, but I think there distribution is on the same glutamate neurons asNMDA receptors, could be wrong. Methaqualone, I theorize has its own receptor on GABA A rather than binding to barbituate site. I believe that paraldehyde acts like alcohol. I believe that chlorak hydrate has a unique pharmacology, thogh one would think it would act like alcohol given its pharmacology, it has a minimal disruption on REM sleep and epileptiform discharges implying aunique MOA. Z-drgus are supposed to be selective for the bzp receptor responsible for sedation but I believe they have some affinity for other sites as well.. I think this thread belongs in advanced drug discussion- probably get a more intelligent, current, and acurate response than I can provide.

Best 0nes:
1.) methaqualone
2.)Tuinal or seconal
3.) Placidyl (750mg green meanies)
4.) Rohypnol
5.)Erimin-5
6.)GHB

Maybe GHB belongs above placidyl and equal to tuinal

xanax, valium, klonopin, nitrazepam, temazepam, halcion best benzos aside from the supper ones I've listed above.

word....leaving benzos aside (I'm waiting till thursday when I'll finally get the chance to try Loprazolam!!!!) Pregabaline works wonders for my Social Anxiety as well as nerve pain....however tolerance is a permanent bitch, but hey it'äs the same with benzos.....to the one who said GHB in moderation I second that!!!

how do you get pregablin? do they script with benzos and does it kick in anxiolysis,

It's easily prescribed, Pfizer says Lyrica works for EVERY problem you could have. And the FDA approves it too. Don't mind it's REALLY expensive.

Aside that, it messes too much with your brain for a daily dose I believe. I would advice to take another medication for your chronic sleep pattern.
Also there is no real medical proof that Fybromialgia (what Pregabalin was marketed for at first) is a real disease. Scientist and doctors tried for years to 'approve it' but they haven't been able to find real proof yet. It works very nice for GAD because, as I said, it messes with how your brain perceives pain and makes you really loopy.

On the other side, it works wonderful as a recreational drug with opiates and benzos, at least for me. It's a mix of opiate/ecstasy/benzo feeling with a psychodelic taste.

Last edited:
I used to think that Benzo's were the king of all gabaergics, which it probably still is as far as its effects, but its negative dark after effects are also just as prominent.

I have a bit of a social anxiety problem myself and I've been doing a bit of research of different gabaergics and as it appears there's a plethora of substances that effects gaba within the brain. To name a few off the top of my head are: neurontin, lyrica, soma(?), and phenibut.

There are also some other ones out there aimed at attracting those naturopath people, some of which include: the new "PHARMAGABA" (don't know if its just hype or what, but the people marketing it sure as hell make it sound enticing!), L-theanine, valerian, and KAVA KAVA.

Right now, I'm trying to find maybe find a replacement for benzos. I don't take a high dose, about 1mg of ativan per day. I've tried neurontin and they seem pretty nice, but haven't tried it enough to really gauge any efficacy. Kava is cool, but my use with this substance is also limited, didn't find it really eased anxiety in social situations. Valerian felt like diphenhydramine, which I do not find to be a very effective anxiolytic. And soma is awesome, but destroyed my motor functioning, and I just don't think its a very practical choice as a therapeutic anxiolytic. And my use with phenibut is also pretty limited, but I tried about 6 seperate doses of the stuff and I was surprisingly disapointed with it, it made me nauseous, dizzy, and had very little anxiolytic effect on me, could just be a bad batch though.

SO, which one of these substances have you tried and found to be effective? Which, if any, have you found to be utter crap? Are there any others that I have listed here? What do you guys think?

hooked on benzo's. do you think pharmagaba would help? after gaba receptors saturated does not look like it would any good. what about subsitituting PG FOR A BENZO DOSE. PLEASE HELP!

hooked on benzo's. do you think pharmagaba would help? after gaba receptors saturated does not look like it would any good. what about subsitituting PG FOR A BENZO DOSE. PLEASE HELP!

g and barbs work wonders. They put benzos to shame. But yea, they are far far too easy to od on and even easier to become addicted to. If you think benzo addiction is bad, try g. I had to detox in jail. It was heavenly. One last thing, every time i've been arrested or crashed a car and most of the times i've blacked out for hours on end, it was from g.

you mean ghb?

you mean ghb?

Yes, he means ghb.
And ghb is a gaba-b agonist.
I loved g, but it didn't love me.:( WD was hell, I shook so bad i had to use both hands to hold anything or it would go flying.
1 teaspoon and you had sooo much energy.
2 teaspoon and you were so high.
3 to 4 teaspoon and nighty night you were out cold.

Lyrica I notice the steady dose thing doesn't seem to work for spript drugs the same way it don't work for rec! DUH! But people insist on conistent dosage = conistent chemical reaction but this is not true because nature is not working at this simple perfect click-clock click-clock click-clock....so whenever using any drugs that are "heavy" or any drug at all really, you sorta usually gotta try and feel it out x amount each x amount of time usually doesn't agree with the mind & body.

Lyrica ain't bad.

I already sad that.

I almost died from GHB. Someone put it in my drink at a concert... I had GHB poisoning.. it was HORRID. Wound up in the ER, they thought I had just taken to much of my scripted xanax which I did not do... They pumped my stomach in the ambulance because the paramedics thought I was gonna die.. One of the worst nights of my life.. The idiots at the club threw me out and left me there asphyxiating on my own vomit.. luckily a cop found me and saved my life... Be careful with that shit...

Valerian *IS* GABAergic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerenic_acid

However, due to some kind of circadian rhythm-disrupting agonistic effects at the 5HT5A receptor, valerian is better for insmonia than anxiety.

I don't like Kava, mainly because it is the foulest tasting thing in the whole world and the extracts are all way too expensive to be practical. It does have a nice, if not short-lived effect though.

L-Theanine (get the a brand that is sourced from "suntheanine", most good brands use that as their source [solgar twinlabs etc]; if it doesn't say "Suntheanine" on the back of the bottle it's crap I've tried several different kinds and the Suntheanine is way better) is actually really good, I use Solgar capsules and just dump them under my tongue and let the powder sit there and absorb for a few minutes, and you can feel it come on. Very relaxing in doses upwards of 300mg. It won't get you high, it's a partial agonist I believe, but it's very nice for chilling out\taking the edge off.

I never really felt anything noticeable from neurontin, but it's sister, pregabalin, is VERY nice. You can get a crazy buzz from pregabalin, it lasts all day too, sniff like 500mg+ =D

did you really sniff all of the mdvp or is walsh just a lying fuck?

Pregabalin IS NOT a GABA agonist. It does not bind directly to GABA-A, GABA-B receptors and does not alter GABA uptake or degradation. Its a structural derivative. Lyrica increases the density of GABA transporter protein and increases the rate of functional GABA transport. It basically mimics the effects of GABA.

Doriden (Glutethimide) and Codeine best high in the world. Sadly Doriden was discontinued in'93. Pure long lasting euphoria and bliss.Nothing can come close to my beloved Doriden and Codeine ,or "hits" as they were known in my area of NJ. I still dream about them. It was like a mystical experience.

Try Valium at lose dose, or even librium. Minimal sedation and great for anxiety. Plus the extremely log half-life. Constant dosing isn't necessary. Hope that helps! Lyrica I'd best though less addictive and just as effective but good luck finding a doctor to prescribe it off label.

Not a fan of Lyrica. I was prescribed 600mg per day for three years to treat anxiety. Tolerance develops much more quickly than most drugs. Any enjoyable feeling disappears after the second day. It works for anxiety for a month or two. After that it was taken solely to prevent acute withdrawal that is like some unholy combination of benzo and opiate withdrawal. When I lost my health insurance for a couple months the cash price of the medication was astounding and yet I still paid without hesitation because it was that horrible and disabling.

Gabapentin is relatively worthless for psychiatric reasons and certainly worthless recreationally. I never noticed anything from any dosage even before I took pregabalin.

I never found any thio/benzodiazepine to be enjoyable in any sense separate from the relief they provide. Diazepam, midazolam and etizolam are the most "positive" feeling ones I've tried for what it's worth. The obsession people have with Xanax bars right now is ridiculous. I wouldn't take Xanax if I were ever prescribed it again. Don't like any Z-drugs either.

GHB is much more euphoric than most sedatives. More tolerable and fun than alcohol (not to mention waaaay easier on your organs). In an ideal world it would replace alcohol altogether. It does everything better in every way. It may be a hidden blessing it isn't as available - I can easily see myself having difficulty not dosing every night and I don't even like booze.

Carisoprodol is the nicest commonly prescribed skeletal muscle relaxant. I imagine tolerance builds very quickly.

I've only tried what are probably the two worst barbiturates: Barbital and phenobarbital. Barbital feels most similar to alcohol but with a dark mood to it, less coordination, and the crap lasts for like 20 hours which is probably why it hasn't been prescribed in 70 years. Phenobarbital is about as recreational as Ativan (that is not at all). I'm under the impression that Secobarb, amobarb, and pentobarb are the most euphoric.

From what I can gather, Quaaludes and placydil are both much better feeling than benzos but not quite as nice as some barbiturates. I hear their reputation is a bit inflated because they're no longer available at all.

Doriden was very good especially in combination with codeine specifically (which most seem to prefer over heroin even). Unfortunately it really messed with the endocrine system when taken regularly...not a problem today as total production is limited to the equivalent of six tablets annually for research purposes. You are more likely to obtain methaqualone or seconal than glutethimide. Can't even imagine how much an old bottle of this stuff would sell for now.