• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Functional Addicts...Are you one? Have you met one?

My boss is an almost crazy alcoholic and benzo user and still he became a millionair.

My boss is an almost crazy alcoholic and benzo user and still he became a millionair.

Really it all comes down to the prices. If the DOC is cheap, you can pretty much function on anything. Drug war makes it very hard. Drug Wars can be blamed for most negative sides of drug use.

And if you cop smack in the hood, and hang around for a bit, you'll see Lexuses drive up to spot. I'm not talking about young kids who are barrowing daddy's car. A lot of these people are in their 30's and work hard for their fix. Dealers will tell you that they sell to doctors, lawyers, etc.

I score dope in my Audi every day. I'm in my late 20's and I've been addicted to heroin for a few years now. I am still gainfully employed at a major hospital where I do biological research and it hadn't impacted my work yet. I don't fuck with the needle and have been on the same dosage for years so I feel like I'm at least somewhat in control of my habit. I practice good harm reduction tactics and I even gave my housemate a naloxone overdose kit just in case I ever fuck up.

Only a small number of my core group of friends are aware of my habit. It's not something that I'm proud of but I'm not ashamed of it either. I would be more open about it if it didn't carry such a "junkie" stigma.

So this is my first post. But anyway my friend that I play music with used to do tons of meth and drive a tug boat. Does that count as a funtionaing meth head. He's clean now which is cool but stikk

I'm kinda borderline addict, and functional. Longest I've gone without booze in the last few years? Maybe 12 days. Usually drink almost every day but lately doing well and only drinking like 3-4 days a week. Last 2 years I've been dependent on valium avg 5-10mg daily high of 55mg longest break 3 days.

I can quit smoking cigs and pot much easier but I don't think I've done more than 3 days with no booze AND no diazepam in the last 2 years. Agabagabagabagabagabagabagabagaba

I hope to go 7 days no drugs besides caffeine soon to prove to myself I am still real human bean

This past March I didn't drink because I wanted to be able to afford car parts.

In June I quit valium CT.

I am back to needing drinks every day though :(

I think it's definitely easiest to be a functional alcoholic.

Not the healthiest thing to be addicted to.

It's possible to be functional and addicted to hard drugs, but dosage and the ability to hold off when serious life matters are at hand is key. Most addictions to hard drugs end in jail or death though; the best situation is quitting or being forced to quit. And no one wants to hear that :D

Not realy. See heroin for example.

Never used any heroin, but Ive done tons of other opioids, with poppy tea you can pretty much be 100% functional as long you have enough to use, the real problems started for me only when I run out of it. I think opioids which dont give very strong rush and dont last short time, like poppy (seed) tea, buprenorphine, methadon are much more viable for functional drug use, the effects are more stable, no big ups or downs in effect. I never enjoyed nodding that much, I always used the amount that makes me feel good enough but not unable to drive a car or to any hard work, sometimes it was nice to lay somewhere and nod but only some times.

Nope. Never been a functioning addict nor have I met one for that matter. I've had about eighteen jobs in the last two years, and a whole lot of other shit that's gone down the poop Shute

I was a functioning alcoholic because I was a binge drinker and not physically addicted or someone who started their day with straight vodka. I just couldn't stop drinking once I started and I started frequently.

It all depends on your definition of functional. If your only bar is holding a job then I have known many functional alcoholics, speed freaks, coke addicts and opiate addicts. Some keep it going for only months or a few years and others (especially with alcohol in my family) were able to keep working for their entire careers. But the functionality after work? Not so good.

(Sorry for the short autobiography, I've been pondering this subject every now and then for the last few days and have a lot to say about it. Also I'm still flying from the Adderall ER I took this morning.)

I believe I qualify, but like someone above stated, you can't exactly decide such a thing yourself. Since drugs and their effects and all. I use opioids, stimulants, benzos, and of course cannabis daily during work/ responsibilities and higher amounts in my free time. I don't have stims often so I won't really count that as an addiction. Psychedelics are sprinkled in every few months.

For the harder 3 I stick to my strict functional dosing schedule. Weed is a different animal though I'll smoke for any reason whatsoever no matter where I am. I've been working on that though by trying to keep it to beneficial uses such as nausea, pain, anxiety, and/or sleeping since I have issues with them all.

I used to abuse any drug I could find and drink heavily in my early teens (currently I'm turning 20 in 5 days). I had little access to opis and stims. My common functional dose of klonopin was 8 times what it is now, and I'm not even gonna touch the recreational aspect and the rampant fuckery I know BL has no shortage of those wonderful stories (including a few of mine already). I don't do stupid amounts of psychedelics for days at a time, and I don't even touch alcohol unless it's some sort of holiday.

I hold a slightly above decent paying job that I'm very rarely absent/late for 45-60 hours per week. I can pay my bills and any debts (on the occasion I have one) in full no issue. I'm in an amazing relationship with a woman who has my full trust and devotion and vice versa. I act friendly towards my disfunctional and abusive family members instead of fighting with them 24/7.

I have immense respect and caution for drugs because of BL and I've only seen benefits from it. Harm reduction truly is worth it and should be known by everyone who wants to use drugs.

I knocked out five years of college being a straight up daily IV user and before the IV use heavy drinking and drug use.

I also worked. Many people would say I am still an addict but they haven't broken as many bones as me and had surgery and methadone is hardly clean.

So yeah I have a pretty strong in other people's eyes Rx combo. I work in art so I set my own hours and gigs.

I plan on finishing school working a night job while continuing the type of gigs I get now so I bought consider that highly functional.

Not working has never been an option in my life though when times got rough I resorted to less conventional means of income.

I wouldn't say it was illegal butI was complacent in the crimes around me but who isn't. I ain't no snitch or one to judge.

I personally consider having a job and a place to live to be the definition of a functional addict. If you support yourself it means you haven't completely fallen into the abyss, Also in my opinion, you're no longer functional when you can't pay for a place to live, your food or you go to jail. Some people will definitely have some more lofty goals, but I think the key is not being a burden on society or loved ones as well.

If you're relying on hand outs from others, the soup kitchen, the salvation army etc., you're no longer functional. There's no judgment for anyone in that position, it's just how I would picture it for myself.

I used to be fully functional until I had some health problems and now have chronic pain. I was still managing but had a lot of stress with family and work. I started using more to "escape" and that's when addiction fully set in and I've been non-functional ever since.

I went to detox and got help but relapsed. Detoxed again. I'm doing better but I have lapses. Not full relapse, fortunately. I don't want to detox again. I got addicted to alcohol heavily so had to detox inpatient. I'm more stable but staying sober is hard.

I'm 29, had 80 surgeries, ya 80. Broke my leg my senior year in the state tourney for football and the DR fucked up. So I got something called compartment syndrome which turned into 70 Leg surgeries from 18 to 26 when I had it cut off. At 19 I got diagnosed with terminal cancer. Had chemo for 3 years and they replaced 4 of my ribs with prosthetics and cut out half of my left lung bc the cancer was spreading. I've had the ribs replaced 2 more times too. Soo I've had some hard run ins with oxy. Every DR said I needed them. When you have 7 leg surgeries a year for a decade and some cancer in the middle, if u go to the hospital taking a 5 you leave taking a 10 and so on. Before I got hurt, I had never taken any drug or booze. Smoked a lot of weed from when I got cancer till I was 25, like 7 grams a week, never felt it held me back. What kicked my ass was when I found out that if I snorted a pill, I'd have pain relief in less than 5 min. That's what got me to taking them everyday. I had like a 3 year period after cancer where I wasn't a functioning attic at all. Sat around depressed that my body was a piece of shit at 22, sick of the hospital(have slept over 400 nights there since 18 ), and didn't care about anything. Luckily my father(mother died of cancer when I was 14) is wealthy and owns his own businesses. He was able to pay my rent during all those surgeries, all my medical bills, etc. Since I was 15 I've done website design on the side for$, so I always had spending money. Sorry for that long ass intro to my life to answer the topic ?
So when I was 25 I turned my life around after just realizing that I'm lucky to be alive and accepted not being a D1 athlete and had to redo my self image bc I was done on the field. But over the past 4 years I've taken 240 MG of roxi a day, took 110 credits, graduated, worked 20 hours a week, choose not to have a gf but have my share of flings, and now work 50+ hours a week and I'm good. I could always be better, but I'd say I'm functioning

I can say with full confidence that I'm a high-functioning morphine addict (hence my BL username) and I make sure my half of the bills/rent gets paid, but whatever is left over, you bet your ass is going to morphine, oxy, or H (in that order). I can hold a job and do day-to-day tasks...as long as I take at least 1 dose a day. The moment I no longer have access to it is the moment I become 100% nonfunctional.

I figure my two cents could be useful in this thread since it's open still. I'm still rather new to doing meth so I'm admitting that I'm probably naive, so please do correct me or school me if i'm wrong. I've set limits with meth, as in how much money I can spend, how much I can do before my body feels the drained feeling and my back of my nose is feeling raw (I only snort it or injest). I honestly don't feel a come down just exhausted a few days after. I don't know if I'm an addict with meth though but it's absolutely possible to be functional on it and for the most part keep up your appearance best as possible. I make sure my hygiene is really good, eating is not a problem at all because I get really hungry 1 1/2 to 3 hours in. Making sure you sleep, most of the time I can sleep for about 5 hours max on it. I don't truly feel addicted to it like I have on other drugs where I'd get intense cravings if I got a few days without. I've never really met a fully functional tweeker but I've met people who use lightly to moderately and are teachers, mechanics and so on.

I'm the same. 6 years responsible h user! - whoops, didn't realize this was meth specific.

Last edited:
I figure my two cents could be useful in this thread since it's open still. I'm still rather new to doing meth so I'm admitting that I'm probably naive, so please do correct me or school me if i'm wrong. I've set limits with meth, as in how much money I can spend, how much I can do before my body feels the drained feeling and my back of my nose is feeling raw (I only snort it or injest). I honestly don't feel a come down just exhausted a few days after. I don't know if I'm an addict with meth though but it's absolutely possible to be functional on it and for the most part keep up your appearance best as possible. I make sure my hygiene is really good, eating is not a problem at all because I get really hungry 1 1/2 to 3 hours in. Making sure you sleep, most of the time I can sleep for about 5 hours max on it. I don't truly feel addicted to it like I have on other drugs where I'd get intense cravings if I got a few days without. I've never really met a fully functional tweeker but I've met people who use lightly to moderately and are teachers, mechanics and so on.

You can be a functional heavy user of meth, I was one for 2 years, in that time I met teachers doctors, a lawyer, a psychologist, a few cops, and even a preacher who used.

It is extremely difficult to do, but it is possible.