• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids from bupe to methadone

Dankycodone

Bluelighter
Well I am making the jump from 2mg bupe to methadone 20mg and i will bump it up to 30-40mg. I searched the topic and would still like to read some personal experince's from switching. The main reason for the switch is the bupe is not doing a good job in giving me energy although people say it's more stimulating. I just prefer the full agonist effect of methadone I have only taken it 4 time's and it did a good job at giving me energy and had a slight high all day from 20mg back when I was not addicted though. As for the high I know it will be gone soon but I am on a low dose bupe so I hope there will be a little buzz so I don't have to take benzo's like I do one bupe I mean there will be a time when methadone will also become like water but I just prefer it that way I need opiates for atleast another year. Also what dose is equal to about 2mg bupe from personal experience?

Hm, I would rather increase the Bupe dose than switch to Methadone. As you said you got high from 20mg when you were not addicted. Now because of the high potency of Bupe it is very likely that 20mg Methadone will not affect you as desired and Methadone has a lot more side effects and is much harder to come off from.
I haven't calculated it but I think 20mg of 'done is definitely less than 2mg of Bupe in comparison (potency of Methadone: ~2,5, Bupe: ~30-40)

Just my opinion.

I second Zerwas' contention about where your tolerance lies with bupe. Make no mistake, even though a partial agonist, it is strong. I really think it would be easier to taper down off the bupe than switch to methadone.

What is your goal? Sounds like you want to do replacement therapy, but I bet if you went for it you could taper down the bupe to 0.25mg doses and be off it in 2-6 weeks depending on how long you've been taking it.

Edit: You should regain your natural energy once you're not being sedated by an opioid. And from experience, 2mg bupe can be powerful depending on the previous tolerance of the user.

I know bupe is powerful but no matter the dose I take be it 4mg or 8mg I get the same effect just kill's the w/d's that is why I tapered to switch to methadone I don't want to kick as of yet.

I know bupe is powerful but no matter the dose I take be it 4mg or 8mg I get the same effect just kill's the w/d's that is why I tapered to switch to methadone I don't want to kick as of yet.

Edit: Got it. Yes then I think methadone will probably be a better choice for you.

Last edited:
Maybe, but keep in mind that 20mg probably won't cut it and if you want to be on maintenance for at least another year, then it will get pretty hard to quit the Methadone.

Do you take Subutex or Suboxone? Because some people report Suboxone to be less satisfying due to the Naloxone. I personally never felt a difference but I was only on very low doses (0,5-1mg).
Maybe it is worth a try to switch to Subutex, pure Bupe, if you are taking Suboxone.

I would want to go switch to methadone as well. Just wouldn'y let them put your dose too high- last time I stopped at 60. With a very slow taper the WDs don't seem that bad.

I take addnok which is bupe with nalaxone. It's the only bupe we have where I am from. I have to go to the clinic and they give me my dose there. Then the check your mouth to see your not taking any out and all that b/s might as well be on methadone because it's closer to my house way cheaper. Month of bupe cost about 500$ where methadone about 50$ and both way's i have to go to the clinic everyday also methadone being liquid is a walk in drink come out instead of sitting waiting for the bupe to melt. So any other personal experiences switching?

It shouldn't be difficult to switch from suboxone to methadone as methadone has no ceiling effect. Only thing is they say you can't take the suboxone for 72 hours before methadone- I don't get it, taking opioids after subs. I ended up doing dope after the first 24 hours and felt it (fast metabolizer and was only taking 6mgs a day. Now I would probably just shoot some subs (although I don't recommend it) b/c it has a median half life of like 3 hours that route (says it on the insert for bupe injections) and benzos the last day.

Also, the AMA says to give patients who have had suboxone discontinued methadone.

Bupe way stronger than methadone. Half life around 36 hrs., and will likely make switching seem like a downgrade. I'm trying to decide if I should be getting back on bupe; having cravings and major missteps. I hate the side effects. If not for those, I'd never have gotten off it. Hope it works out for you.

Getting off methadone is very hard. It's not only one week of withdrawals, more like a month.
Besides, you'll need months to re-adapt and recover your endorphin. Most people give up even after going through withdrawals.

At some point methadone will be the most 'normal' thing in one's life until you want to quit and suddenly the world is upside down, you feel depressed, lethargic and sad. It seems like you are in this endless nightmare searching for energy.

You know that you'll need to exercise, eat well, find things you'd like to do but it seems all of your strength is all gone.
I've been through this and it was the hardest challenge I've ever gone through up to this moment.
And I've been to a lot of bad things in life. I'm talking about more than a decade I've lost to opiates.

Pls help me I'm so confused. I'm having trouble posting this anywhere. I take 80 mgms of Methadone for many yrs but I need any info/advice on Glue Sniffing. For 6mos I've sniffed a specific type of contact cement glue w toluene. At first I felt great, lately feel sick, head heavy, air on brain, etc. I only sniff about a 1/4 of tube a day via a rag, never a bag. Pls help me with advice, long term effects, personal stories,etc

Yes- but don't people come off way to quickly often? Like I know someone who said it was completely painless- he went from 80mgs to 0 in 30 months

Yes. Cold turkey is when you get a month of withdrawals.

If you taper slowly it's fairly painless.

I've done both (ct not by choice). It's really not as bad as the horror stories when done correctly. Like I said in a different thread, a lot of people's experience that you hear about was cold turkey like in jail, people who didn't pay or were discharged for other reasons and got a 7 or 14 day detox (not nearly enough).

People who have tapered slowly don't have many issues

Yes- but don't people come off way to quickly often? Like I know someone who said it was completely painless- he went from 80mgs to 0 in 30 months

Not at all painless if you are talking about methadone.

Anyway to follow up this thread first thank you all for taking the time and posting. I has been a while since I switched and I am on methadone 50mg. I got put on 40mg right away and was sky high increasing the dose every day for 2 weeks. Then I tapred down and stayed at 50mg which just kills my w/d for around 15-18 hour's. This is the only con I found bupe was holding me for almost 48 hour's I go to the clinic sweating each day. I think I will just taper down and switch back to bupe but getting high is easier on methadone if I skip a day and potinate my methadone I can get pretty high which will last all day and I wont be sick until redose.