• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

fresh DMT lacks potency, what did I do wrong?

masterConfusa

Greenlighter
I just completed my third DMT extraction this week. The first two went well and I ended up with good pure product, but this time I did a much larger batch and ended up with 2 grams of pure white, good looking crystals on my first pull and now the 5 times I've tried to smoke them I have felt almost nothing even a big 250mg dose. Obviously i went wrong somewhere, so I'll say what I did differently and maybe someone with more experience could suggest what could have made the difference.

A) I used a lot more lye than needed. My pH meter turned out to be dysfuntioncal and won't read anything above 12.5 so I ended up putting upwards of 600 grams into 2500ml of solution.

B) I left it in the naphtha for about 3 days due to time restrictions and it had time to cool. I have about 6 grams of crystals that are coated in acacia juice because it crystallized heavily while in the naphtha/root bark solution. I heated it up thoroughly before pulling the best, pure white crystals (I use the warm, cool, freeze, cool method) but even the good looking crystals yield almost zero effects.

C) I boiled the root bark for about 4 hours on the second wash at 3pH. I wouldn't imagine this would damage the alkaloids, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Could be tolerance.. People often say that DMT doesn't cause tolerance but I believe it can do if one takes it often enough. I'm no expert on extractions (only done one batch myself) but the only thing I'd question is point (C). I'm not sure how easily DMT degrades in the presence of heat (though heat isn't the only factor - you've got a load of water and lye floating around too) but the solution should never have to be boiled as far as I'm aware; just 50c or so should do the job.

I stand corrected! Sorry for the misinformation!

Last edited:
2) YOU BOILED THE ROOT BARK?!?! That's your main problem, you probably destroyed every last molecule of DMT in there. Why would you ever do that?

Boiling short durations (hours) doesn't degrade DMT significantly. Frequently effective acid/base extraction techniques involve boiling the root bark.

My guess is that a large % age of your "DMT" is actually NMT...?

The above statement was made assuming you used A. Confusa root bark which is high in NMT...I assumed this from your user name...if you used M. Hostilis, then I don't have a clue what the problem could be.

Last edited:
1) Why would you add more lye simply because you're pH meter is broken? There's a reason the teks say to put this or that much in.... The pH of whatever water you use isn't going to differ much between what they've done and lye most certainly isn't.

2) YOU BOILED THE ROOT BARK?!?! That's your main problem, you probably destroyed every last molecule of DMT in there. Why would you ever do that?

Adding more lye is a valid step if your yields are low...I never use a Ph meter and you can't, easily, use too much lye...besides to little lye will affect yield not potency anyway.
And boiling DMT doesn't hurt it a bit, what about when you smoke it? Do you think you ruin every last molecule of DMT like that?
Better to KNOW shit before you TALK shit.

Last edited:
Hey now, that stings. psy997, DMT does oxidize and probably oxidizes faster in heat and in solution. This oxidation isn't significant in the short durations of boiling employed by many.

YOU BOILED THE ROOT BARK?!?! That's your main problem, you probably destroyed every last molecule of DMT in there. Why would you ever do that?

So too, I'm guessing, did that^.

Are you people kidding me.... If boiling bark destroys DMT how in the hell does anyone brew an ayahusca brew.

It is tolerance and mental block. I am sure you are feeling something when you smoke.... How are you smoking it? How long do you hold it in for? Again do you feel anything?

What are you smoking it out of? The reason I ask is because weed sandwiches aren't always a reliable way of getting to the place you want to be at with DMT, especially if you're used to a dab rig or something. you could also try sniffing your powder but it's not gonna be fun lol

Last edited:
Are you kidding me arc??? My best experience was a no screen, weed, orange sawdust texture mckenna like DMT that oddly some white stuff I had obtained turned that same texture even sealed kept in dark cool conditions, and then more weed. I set up my space, lightly pulled creating a cherry without touching the flame, pulling as much as I can pulling the fire a bit at the end, and then laying down counting as far as I could although I don't think I got past three before it did what it do. After extracting and never being able to get good effect I found a bud sandwhich in a bubbler, with a glass screen, the lightest amount of ground/finely chopped bud, dmt only enough to not flatten out and touch the bowl, and enough of the previously prepped green to surround and cover it to be the perfect bowl setup where mullein could be replaced for cannabis or mixed as the texture of the leaf traps dmt like cannabis resin. The next tool is the lighting utensil and using hemp wick was the best way as the heat is not too high and inhaling butane is just toxic, which is not wanted when smoking dmt. The goal is to use low heat to vape, but I find getting the bud on top to cherry creates the perfect heat while still holding the fire getting closer as the cherry gets more intense making sure not to get to close creating a harsh smoke and honestly making the goal not to burn everything as there should be more than enough dmt in the bowl for a breakthrough that wouldn't be too overwhelming if completely vaped although as I said more than enough for a breakthrough so if it couldn't be completely vaped the full experience would be achieved. For fire safety a space would be cleared, a place prepared to leave the pipe as well as a place to sit as well as lay down if needed. The place the pipe would be left would need to be a fireproof surface as well as the hemp wick piece small enough that it could be left on a plate/ashtray prepared in the pipe space so that it could burn itself completely without setting the place on fire meaning it is some place that the plate/ashtray with the wick and the pipe will not be knocked over even during a rough experience.

At least the above is true for someone extracting DMT. It makes sharing it easier too once one figures out how to do it them self right.

Are you kidding me arc??? My best experience was a no screen, weed, orange sawdust texture mckenna like DMT that oddly some white stuff I had obtained turned that same texture even sealed kept in dark cool conditions, and then more weed.

I'm not trying to offend anyone or say that any method is ineffective, but the weed/DMT sandwich is the trickiest method to get right. It's pretty easy to fuck up, and I'd say that you can't really make an accurate assessment of the effectiveness of a method unless you account for how touchy it is. I've had great experiences with this method personally, but I know others who haven't.

I was using a very simple diy foil pipe. I definitely would feel different but I experienced no hallucinations the first 6 times I tried. Finally last night I rolled a damiana joint and put 110 mg half way through and it worked well. What confused me was that it just didn't work nearly as well as the last batch I made, but I'm still learning so I expect to run in to things like that. Thanks for the comments

I added more lye because I didn't know my meter was broken so at pH 12.5, I kept adding more expecting the reading to increase, which it never did. Also, please enlighten me as to how I should be separating the alkaloids from the root bark. All the serious extraction teks I've read make lots of boiling a priority. The tek I follow says to do 4 acid boils@ 90 mins a piece and then boil all 4 washes down to a workable amount of about 2500ml. Is this all unnecessary?

tolerance? third extraction in the week? that's a lot of DMT

give it a one or two week break and then come back and smoke the crystals, see if it does something

OP, I ask again, did you use A. confusa or M. Hostilis?

Which bark you used for your extraction can make a big difference.
Once upon a time, when Mimosa was hard to get, I bought a kilo of Acacia and extracted it and got a phenomenal yield, however, when I put the flame to it, it was very low strength. This was, I believe, due to the fact that around half of the tryptamines in A, Confusa is N-methyltryptamine which, at best, sucks.
So, if you did, in fact, use A Confusa and it didn't seem very potent, that MAY be the reason...just a thought.

Last edited:
I use a chillum with a large bowl. Largest chillum bowl you can find with steel wool. Light with hemp wick and blast off. Fool proof method. You can ten and two it for tek like a tweaker. Great results consistently without making a large scene