Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Frequent low dose DXM

infectedmushroom

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

For the last couple of weeks I've been taking DXM virtually daily, once a day, at doses from 30-60mg. I ocasionally have 1-3 days off, and this hasn't been going on for longer than a month.

My main reasons are for maintaining a low tolerance to certain drugs and the subtle yet noticeable mood boost it provides.

I'm more worried about physical harm than psychological dependence, but I'd like to avoid both.

What are the consequences of continued dosing in this way?

I noticed that frequent dosing of dissociatives lead to more creative thinking but it negatively impacts analytical thinking and learning in the long run. Also, define "physical" and "psychological"? Anything psychological is related to something physical because that's how we are in here. Psychological dependence is physical as well. DXM and DXO together affect so many sites that every day dosing may lead to terrible depression when you abruptly stop. It affects both serotonin and noradrenaline, both have a role in mood regulation, deficits of noradrenaline may also make you slow to make decisions and be confident of what you want to do. Although I will always be an advocate for research on dissociatives as antidepressants until it really takes off, I suggest you shouldn't take DXM regularly for too long. For me a well-measured single dose of a dissociative like DXM or certain arylcyclohexanamines is enough to provide a mood boost for a few days.

Are you still feeling the mood boost as noticeable as you did at the very beginning?

It's so subtle it's difficult to gauge. Like you when I take a well measured dose of (any dissociative really) it increases my mood or the following few days.

I'm really using it to keep benzo/opiate/stim tolerance at bay. I think based on your advice it's best I only take it on the days I use those drugs (which isn't everyday.)

Thanks for your reply!

It's so subtle it's difficult to gauge. Like you when I take a well measured dose of (any dissociative really) it increases my mood or the following few days.

I'm really using it to keep benzo/opiate/stim tolerance at bay. I think based on your advice it's best I only take it on the days I use those drugs (which isn't everyday.)

Thanks for your reply!

if you don't use them everyday and you are having tolerance issues (with opiates)....then what are you taking methadone? or bupe? tolerance shouldn't be any issue unless you are somewhat dependent? are you phsycially dependent on opiates?

i didn't realize dxm had an effect on benzo tolerance,....but then again ive never taken much benzos.

i didn't think dxm had much effects abouve 90 mg or so. To the other poster: I think you aren't getting very much DXO activity at all with dosages that low. I read on here that you need dxm to occupy the enzymes that break dxo down so you can get a good effect off the dxo and have it not be metabolized. although BL posts aren't exactly peer reviewed science articles but i like to think ppl don't make stuff up;

So how does daily low dose dxm affect tolerance to other drugs? It's an interesting idea but I can't imagine taking dxm every single day, even if it is a low dose.

I am somewhat physically dependent, yes. The exact mechanisms of tolerance reduction I couldn't tell you, however there is literature which strongly suggests it does work. Personally I find it increases the duration and potency of opiates like codeine. I'm going to give it a decent break, a long with all of the drug types I just mentioned, in any case. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any studies/sources they could provide on the risks associated with frequent low dosing.