European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Freezing or starving? Is it scary?

Ismene2

Bluelighter
How close will it get this winter? Will you be sat shivering too scared to turn the gas on?

Or will you just snigger to yourself as you sell another disabled french bulldog for £4500?

Potatoes can still be frozen, frozen food can be bought out if such penultimate even surface but no. Inflation doesn't cause people to sell pets, they cause people to live as they did until now because the specific product they're looking for is still out there, much expensive but still

How close will it get this winter? Will you be sat shivering too scared to turn the gas on?
i'm gonna have to cut down on the caviar. maybe switch from moet to cava. hard times.

if i had to chose between starving and freezing i'd pick freezing. but like proper freezing in like -30. quick death. i tried starving myself to death and it really sucked i must say, and i fucking failed.

Inflation doesn't cause people to sell pets, they cause people to live as they did until now because the specific product they're looking for is still out there, much expensive but still
if you're comfortably off then yes, but if you were already using all your money every month, then you can't just keep buying the same shit when it gets more expensive.

Well.....I have been talk to various homeless and ask the same question.All answered -freeze.Find a food is not such a problem......find a cozy,hot place in the cold winter months-that sucks

My new quote for electricity is over £3000 per year. That's an increase from £650. No idea what my gas will be. Likely to be something in the same region if not much worse.

Are they having a laugh or what?

This means I could well be paying up to 50% of my Net income on energy bills. And I am on the frugal/careful/tight bastard end of the energy consumption scale. I live in a small home, and I only heat the rooms that I occupy at the times that I am in them (I never set the thermostat to make the heating come on an hour before I get up/ before I return from work etc, like many people do)

I'm still going to be crucified by this. God only knows how the people that are on the extravagant with their energy/useless at economising / live in a large home - end of the scale are going to manage with this.

The strangest thing is that the media and even social media seem to have a black out on this news? No one is saying anything!!?

Not that I watch the news of late, but I scan the BBC website and it seems to have a blackout on reporting this.

Are we being completely stitched up and going to go out without the merest of whimpers?

It seems that full scale riots and protests are inconceivable at this stage, so I would settle for some whimpers from anywhere right now.

W T actual F in F is going on.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada but I read that in the uk energy was going up by 80%. I hope I read wrong.
Ours goes up November but don't know how much.
I'm thinking of installing a wood stove.

I'm in Canada but I read that in the uk energy was going up by 80%. I hope I read wrong.
Ours goes up November but don't know how much.
I'm thinking of installing a wood stove.
I'm right below you ( in Michigan ) and my neighbor just installed one. Only problem is that his Homeowners insurance rate tripled. So he will just be giving the money to his agent instead of the utility company. I asked him why he went that route as it's the # 1 reason behind house fires in the Winter and he told me his furnace took a shit and so he would have no heat this season. I guess he priced a furnace ( $2200 ) and he may have gotten the wood stove off of a buddy or something but he isn't factoring in how much a cord of wood has gone up in the last 2 years. I love the ambiance and smell of a wood stove but with the cost to insure my home and the price of wood I went ahead 3 years ago and just bought a new furnace. On a payment plan. Just thought I'd throw that out there. But if I could procure cheap firewood and my insurance would have stayed the same I would have gone with a wood stove too.

Ouch, didn't know it was that bad in the UK ... what made me move out of my country was the fucking health insurance. I have a five figure debt due to this millstone around the neck, and in theory I still make $500 debt every month in my old country (Switzerland). I miss it there.

Everywhere is fucked up with price skyrocketing.Here more of things-two times up like cost.Inflationbis may be 15percent officially.at least got my warm for the winter.not curious why feel anxious a lot of times.preocupations.....

Its kind of sinister that in the UK media I'm seeing "80% rise in energy bills" bandied about, yet IRL people I know in the UK are getting quites for their electric that are 400/500% the current rate

One woman I know has to sign an agreement at 81p per unit vs 15p that she had been on - and she is inly being given option of a three year deal at the new, higher, prices

It's very easy and simplistic to blame this on the proxy war in Ukraine; when in actuallity this is born or manufactured out of the shambles that utterly stupid covid rules thrust most of the so called "western" world into

I'm right below you ( in Michigan ) and my neighbor just installed one. Only problem is that his Homeowners insurance rate tripled. So he will just be giving the money to his agent instead of the utility company. I asked him why he went that route as it's the # 1 reason behind house fires in the Winter and he told me his furnace took a shit and so he would have no heat this season. I guess he priced a furnace ( $2200 ) and he may have gotten the wood stove off of a buddy or something but he isn't factoring in how much a cord of wood has gone up in the last 2 years. I love the ambiance and smell of a wood stove but with the cost to insure my home and the price of wood I went ahead 3 years ago and just bought a new furnace. On a payment plan. Just thought I'd throw that out there. But if I could procure cheap firewood and my insurance would have stayed the same I would have gone with a wood stove
House insurance is the drawback. I have a truck and could get my own wood for the season all through out the summer.
I'm going to check on insurance. If it cost what the extra hydro is I'm really considering it.

All it’s going to do is force more people to fiddle with their meters, which is gonna cause no end of house explosions when they inevitably go bang 💥

I switched to vegetarian for moral and financial reasons. $30 for 2 steaks is crazy. I applied for a moose license so I don't mind eating meat that was hunted. I just can't do the factory farm animals. Breaks my heart.
I watch many of those Alaska and Canadian nature channels where people homestead and gather everything. One family of 5 can eat off a large moose for a year or so. We are getting more and more hunters here too as the cost of meat is ridiculous and also the enjoyment of eating what you process yourself and the enjoyment of the hunt itself. I have reduced my intake of meat considerably. I buy only ground meat now as you can make 20 different dishes with ground beef and the occasional whole chicken. The rest is potatoes, pasta, rice veggies and fruit. I feel better as well. My digestive system is spot on and it wasn't always that way.

It's very easy and simplistic to blame this on the proxy war in Ukraine; when in actuallity this is born or manufactured out of the shambles that utterly stupid covid rules thrust most of the so called "western" world into
It's just as simplistic to blame it on the pandemic. Other countries, notably in Asia, have suffered the same pandemic while imposing more comprehensive restrictions and aren't having these kind of problems. Meanwhile continental European countries aren't seeing anywhere near the kind of price hikes we are dealing with in the UK.
If you want a better explanation of why it's so much worse here, try the insanity of deliberately cutting yourself off from the huge trading block (and closest trading partner) right next door, thus saddling the economy with enormous extra cost while prompting a large percentage of the workforce to leave.

I watch many of those Alaska and Canadian nature channels where people homestead and gather everything. One family of 5 can eat off a large moose for a year or so. We are getting more and more hunters here too as the cost of meat is ridiculous and also the enjoyment of eating what you process yourself and the enjoyment of the hunt itself. I have reduced my intake of meat considerably. I buy only ground meat now as you can make 20 different dishes with ground beef and the occasional whole chicken. The rest is potatoes, pasta, rice veggies and fruit. I feel better as well. My digestive system is spot on and it wasn't always that way.

Yes AK is a paradise for anyone who wants to do subsistence living-style stuff...you can feast on venison, fresh seafood, in the summer months turbo-charged gardens, potatoes (which seem to thrive in dim sunlight, overcast skies and drizzle, so perfect for where I live lol)...the ocean near where I live actually has seemed healthier in recent years...10 years ago or so it seemed like the cod and halibut basically vanished from the scene, but over the last few years they both have made a comeback in the area, this year you could barely have a lure down for a minute or two before you'd be hauling up big healthy-looking Pacific cod and halibut, perfect dinner size

You can make huge, delicious feasts for yourself that are entirely derived from the local area!

Anyway, I came on this thread to mention a suicide method I read about that the Inuit did, where you'd walk out unto the ice on the north slope or whatever during the winter months, with their backs to the wind until they got good and tired, then they'd turn around and walk head-on into the subzero Arctic windchill until they collapsed and died (which usually happened sooner rather than later). Turning into a human popsickle sounds less traumatic than starving to death imo

It's just as simplistic to blame it on the pandemic. Other countries, notably in Asia, have suffered the same pandemic while imposing more comprehensive restrictions and aren't having these kind of problems. Meanwhile continental European countries aren't seeing anywhere near the kind of price hikes we are dealing with in the UK.
If you want a better explanation of why it's so much worse here, try the insanity of deliberately cutting yourself off from the huge trading block (and closest trading partner) right next door, thus saddling the economy with enormous extra cost while prompting a large percentage of the workforce to leave.
Well, I have lived in Asia before, during and after covid, and I come from an EU country where very similar energy hikes are taking place and its not so different in many parts of continental Europe, so I could also assert that it's too simplistic to blame it on the British exit of the European union

But we do live in a clown world; that's something we can probably agree on

I'm in a bar getting drunk and stoned and am on phone so excuse any horseshit