Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread Found Footage Horror/Sci-Fi

ghostfreak

Moderator: DC, F&TV, S&G
Staff member
I personally love these sort of flicks, some are terribly bad of course but there’s definitely a lot of good ones to check out. Also sub genes of this can include stuff line ‘social media horror, urban legend type films, night especially).

Some of my favs are:

Grave Encounters

Host

Shook

The McPherson Tape

The Bridge Curse

There’s a lot of great J/K horror but I just wanted to take off a few good ones.

Just wondered if there were any fans of that here?

Last edited:
"Sinister", while not entirely a "found footage" film, has some pretty memorable/effective scenes of that kinda thing

Also, "The Poughkeepsie Tapes", despite being a pretty poor movie in general, has some very creepy "found footage"-style stuff

I'm generally not into the genre, but I'll second Grave Encounters. The sequel is also pretty good.

Also recommend:
The Bay (2012)
As Above, So Below (2014)
A Haunted House (2013) [Wayans Brothers parody of found footage horror, notably the Paranormal Activity series]
Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - I'm cheating a little here as only the second half is FF, but it WAS the OG Found Footage Horror

Motion sickness? lol
Yeah I can't stomach the camera moving around (literally). I almost hate the Jason Bourne trilogy now because the whole series was shot with like, a handheld camera. Always wiggling around... I guess in the 2000s they thought it would add 'urgency' and 'realism' to action flicks but looking back it just seems lazy and annoying.

I found Grave Encounters absolutely hilarious. Obvious mockery of Zac Baggins and the show Ghost Adventures. I couldn't stop laughing even if it wasn't trying to be funny.

Yeah I can't stomach the camera moving around (literally). I almost hate the Jason Bourne trilogy now because the whole series was shot with like, a handheld camera. Always wiggling around... I guess in the 2000s they thought it would add 'urgency' and 'realism' to action flicks but looking back it just seems lazy and annoying.

Yeah, I hate shakycam, too. Doesn't make me nauseated, I just find it annoying as fuck.

Haven't seen any of the films mentioned in the OP. But while I am a huge fan of the horror genre, I'm not a big fan of this style of cinematography. I think it can be useful to use for certain scenes and stuff to give a sense of realism, but generally I don't like when the entire movie is like that. It just feels disorienting and makes everything confusing.

Yeah I'm not really into it either. It can be good if just part of the film is in that style but if it's the whole film it come across as "gimmicky" and annoying I think

The Den also and the The Tunnel

The Den

Thre Tunnel

I personally love these sort of flicks, some are terribly bad of course but there’s definitely a lot of good ones to check out. Also sub genes of this can include stuff line ‘social media horror, urban legend type films, night especially).

Some of my favs are:

Grave Encounters

Host

Shook

The McPherson Tape

The Bridge Curse

There’s a lot of great J/K horror but I just wanted to take off a few good ones.

Just wondered if there were any fans of that here?

i have watched the McPhereson tapes twice. Don't believe I have seen the rest.

i have watched the McPhereson tapes twice. Don't believe I have seen the rest.
I always remember watching The McPherson Tape years ago when it was really hard to get a copy anywhere, was eerie viewing with the whole back story behind it and stuff. Now it's out on Blu-Ray and streaming so far easier to watch if anyone is interested.