• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Forcing Loperamide through the BBB

Loperamide has a 2-phase dose/response curve, has roughly 1/40th of the mu affinity of codeine and the specific dose at which the ABC binding cassette is overcome and the drug reaches it's second phase dose-response.

Loperamide is an extreme example of a compound removed from the brain by Pgp efflux (efflux ratios ranging from 6.5 to 9.9). UNTIL the user consumes a sufficient amount of the drug to overcome the Pgp, almost none of it will reach the brain. This dose-range is considered to be the first phase.

The blood-brain barrier (BBB) is a network of highly selective cells that protect the brain from toxic insults.1 The ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter P-glycoprotein (Pgp) is highly expressed on the apical surface of the BBB. Pgp is a highly promiscuous protein that effluxes a structurally and chemically diverse range of compounds away from the brain into the bloodstream. While this function is critical for neurohomeostasis and for preventing the penetration of toxic insults, Pgp’s role at the BBB prevents the entry of many neurotherapeutics and represents a formidable hurdle to drug development. Over the last three decades, considerable effort has been made to improve penetration of drugs by inhibiting Pgp, but this has been unsuccessful in the clinic because of unforeseen toxicity. As a result, there has been considerable interest in the pharmaceutical industry to identify the molecular features of drugs that drive Pgp-mediated transport.

The dose-response in the second phase has not been tested scientifically in any animal, let alone a human study. All I DO know is that there are regular reports of people taking around 200 mg to manage the symptoms of opioid abstinence syndrome (does generic loperamide come in 100 capsule lots in the US as 200mg is common). These same people have ended up as medical emergencies when they increased the dose by less than 20%. There have been 19 serious loperamide poisonings in the UK (5 fatal). The death-toll in the US isn't available (although someone could sit their & find death toll in each state - a truly useful if boring job)

Ones opiod tolerance will have NO effect in the first phase of dose/response BUT is a very shallow slope because while plasma levels rise, the Pgp ensures that levels in the brain do not. Given the LOW and I mean LOW activity of loperamide, even a naïve user will feel almost no opioid effects and in tolerant users their will certainly be no effect.

Of course, since the user has managed to overcome the Pgg of their BBB, all manner of other toxins will enter the brain so the cause of injury/death are hard to qualify. I am of the opinion that the self-destructive martians who take handfuls of loperamide are those satisfied with ANY subjective alteration of reality bestowed on them by drugs.

Many amateur chemist have proposed numerous ways to alter loperamide to make it into a potent opioid. Well, US Patent 3714159 covers loperamide & related compounds but whatever modification is suggested, the LogP of loperamide is just too high. Janssen also discovered dextromoramide and that study showed that for alkyl amides, only a pyrrolidine will produce strong analgesia (see dextromoramide).

Of course, if one could remove the p-Cl, demethylate the amide & form a (m)ethyl ester with the quaternary -OH..... THEN the LogP would be low enough and you would be left with an opioid with all the kick of codeine.

Put simply - ir's much less work to make an opioid from scratch than to attempt to manipulate loperamide.

But if you want 'out of the box' thinking, why not produce the isopropyl analogue of glutethimide? It induces the CYP2D6 liver enzyme and so rather than the body converting approximately10% of codeine--->morphine, hydrocodone--->hydromorphone & oxycodone--->oxymorphone, it converts rather more than 90%.

Now, glutethimide has a chiral centre and the 2 enanthiomers are metabolised via different pathways but if only 1 isomer is responsible for CYP2D6 induction, a chiral synthesis sounds a good idea.. It came as 250mg & 500mg tablets & users would take 2 along with 3 Tylanol 4s.

While Doriden (glutethimide) only uses a 2-step synthesis, it's still not going to be worth much, is it? Well, apart from someone who has a 160mg/day OxyContin habit - capsules with just 5mg of oxycodone & 250mg of glutethimide will happily replace one dependence with another (ALWAYS a clever move). As long as a criminal can obtain a prodrug that is so thanks to a phenylmethyl ether, they are in business.

Just my little idea of how much worse things can get. Oh, BTW, NO, glutethimide will nor make loperamide stronger!

Thanks for the informative post.

The dose-response in the second phase has not been tested scientifically in any animal, let alone a human study. All I DO know is that there are regular reports of people taking around 200 mg to manage the symptoms of opioid abstinence syndrome (does generic loperamide come in 100 capsule lots in the US as 200mg is common). These same people have ended up as medical emergencies when they increased the dose by less than 20%. There have been 19 serious loperamide poisonings in the UK (5 fatal). The death-toll in the US isn't available (although someone could sit their & find death toll in each state - a truly useful if boring job)

For the record, it helps a lot against opiate withdrawal at far lower than 200mg. 30-40mg will cut my withdrawal by 50-60%, 40-50mg will cut it by 75-80% (obviously a rough estimate as that is hard to quantify). Especially the physical, it was remove the restless limbs completely and let me sleep, and will cut the dread and anxiety by a lot too, but definitely doesn't get me high. I hear about people taking 100mg or more and getting high, I've even heard people saying it substitutes for heroin, though I find that hard to believe. It seems that over 100mg, it starts to become quite dangerous due to long QT syndrome. There is a years-old thread that was active for many years, which started as a trip report (in the Trip Reports subforum) where over the years, a handful of posters or loved ones of posters reported being hospitalized or were said to have died, from high dose loperamide complications.

There's a thread by TheTripDoctor on Loperamide in Other Drugs, it seems that he found the way to enjoy Loperamide....

In the thread, it has been said that the way to feel an effect from Loperamide is to take a very large amount of it (just like GABA doesn't cross the BBB, but is taken in 1 to 5 grams doses, so a part of it goes through the BBB)

I would like to read an advanced drug discussion on this subject.

#Is it true that if you take a very large amount of a substance that doesn't cross the BBB, some of it will cross the BBB.

#If this is true, is it possible to know how many mgs Loperamide will cross the BBB if you eat 10 grams of Loperamide?

(If there's no answer to this question, do we know how many mgs GABA cross the BBB when someone eat 10 grams of GABA powder?)

Any input, info?

Loperamide is cardiotoxic in large doses as it can cause arrhythmia. 10 grams would almost definitely kill you.
One gram is enough to be potentially dangerous.

Loperamide has a 2-phase dose/response curve, has roughly 1/40th of the mu affinity of codeine and the specific dose at which the ABC binding cassette is overcome and the drug reaches it's second phase dose-response.

Loperamide is an extreme example of a compound removed from the brain by Pgp efflux (efflux ratios ranging from 6.5 to 9.9). UNTIL the user consumes a sufficient amount of the drug to overcome the Pgp, almost none of it will reach the brain. This dose-range is considered to be the first phase.

The blood-brain barrier (BBB) is a network of highly selective cells that protect the brain from toxic insults.1 The ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter P-glycoprotein (Pgp) is highly expressed on the apical surface of the BBB. Pgp is a highly promiscuous protein that effluxes a structurally and chemically diverse range of compounds away from the brain into the bloodstream. While this function is critical for neurohomeostasis and for preventing the penetration of toxic insults, Pgp’s role at the BBB prevents the entry of many neurotherapeutics and represents a formidable hurdle to drug development. Over the last three decades, considerable effort has been made to improve penetration of drugs by inhibiting Pgp, but this has been unsuccessful in the clinic because of unforeseen toxicity. As a result, there has been considerable interest in the pharmaceutical industry to identify the molecular features of drugs that drive Pgp-mediated transport.

Ones opiod tolerance will have NO effect in the first phase of dose/response BUT is a very shallow slope because while plasma levels rise, the Pgp ensures that levels in the brain do not. Given the LOW and I mean LOW activity of loperamide, even a naïve user will feel almost no opioid effects and in tolerant users their will certainly be no effect.

Of course, since the user has managed to overcome the Pgg of their BBB, all manner of other toxins will enter the brain so the cause of injury/death are hard to qualify. I am of the opinion that the self-destructive martians who take handfuls of loperamide are those satisfied with ANY subjective alteration of reality bestowed on them by drugs.

Many amateur chemist have proposed numerous ways to alter loperamide to make it into a potent opioid. Well, US Patent 3714159 covers loperamide & related compounds but whatever modification is suggested, the LogP of loperamide is just too high. Janssen also discovered dextromoramide and that study showed that for alkyl amides, only a pyrrolidine will produce strong analgesia (see dextromoramide).

Of course, if one could remove the p-Cl, demethylate the amide & form a (m)ethyl ester with the quaternary -OH..... THEN the LogP would be low enough and you would be left with an opioid with all the kick of codeine.

Put simply - ir's much less work to make an opioid from scratch than to attempt to manipulate loperamide.

But if you want 'out of the box' thinking, why not produce the isopropyl analogue of glutethimide? It induces the CYP2D6 liver enzyme and so rather than the body converting approximately10% of codeine--->morphine, hydrocodone--->hydromorphone & oxycodone--->oxymorphone, it converts rather more than 90%.

Now, glutethimide has a chiral centre and the 2 enanthiomers are metabolised via different pathways but if only 1 isomer is responsible for CYP2D6 induction, a chiral synthesis sounds a good idea.. It came as 250mg & 500mg tablets & users would take 2 along with 3 Tylanol 4s.

While Doriden (glutethimide) only uses a 2-step synthesis, it's still not going to be worth much, is it? Well, apart from someone who has a 160mg/day OxyContin habit - capsules with just 5mg of oxycodone & 250mg of glutethimide will happily replace one dependence with another (ALWAYS a clever move). As long as a criminal can obtain a prodrug that is so thanks to a phenylmethyl ether, they are in business.

Just my little idea of how much worse things can get. Oh, BTW, NO, glutethimide will nor make loperamide stronger!

Or just throw some acetic anhydride or maybe even propionic anhydride at it and see what sticks, there's that urban drug nerd legend of o-acetyl loperamide being pretty active, not sure how true it is.

I've taken around 200mg of loperamide. Feels like dirty meperidine, and meperidine already feels dirty.

Thanks for the informative post.

For the record, it helps a lot against opiate withdrawal at far lower than 200mg. 30-40mg will cut my withdrawal by 50-60%, 40-50mg will cut it by 75-80% (obviously a rough estimate as that is hard to quantify). Especially the physical, it was remove the restless limbs completely and let me sleep, and will cut the dread and anxiety by a lot too, but definitely doesn't get me high. I hear about people taking 100mg or more and getting high, I've even heard people saying it substitutes for heroin, though I find that hard to believe. It seems that over 100mg, it starts to become quite dangerous due to long QT syndrome. There is a years-old thread that was active for many years, which started as a trip report (in the Trip Reports subforum) where over the years, a handful of posters or loved ones of posters reported being hospitalized or were said to have died, from high dose loperamide complications.

Very useful information - thank you. The question is, is it the loperamide causing long QT or is it a chemical that is naturally in the circulatory system but not in the CNS. You have just reminded me, I saw a REALLY freaky ECG recordings of Torsades de pointes caused by loperamide (240mg in a guy who weighed maybe 50Kg). Hypokalemia & hypomagnesemia were presumed because he was about 3 on the Glasgow Coma Scale and naloxone did not improve matters.
He developed compartment syndrome for which the treatment is painful (and since the guy has a habit, the opioids he got were nowhere near enough). He convinced the doctors that opioids just didn't work for him so he got ketamine. I presume that would mean he would HAVE to be in an ICU so I bet that cost a lot (this happened in the US).

Loperamide

Molinspiration property engine
v2021.10

miLogP 4.88
TPSA 43.77
natoms 34
MW 477.05
nON 4
nOHNH 1
nviolations 0
nrotb 7
volume 449.06

O-acetyl Loperamide

v2021.10

miLogP 5.59
TPSA 49.85
natoms 37
MW 519.09
nON 5
nOHNH 0
nviolations 2
nrotb 9
volume 485.57

Deschloro Loperamide

v2021.10

miLogP 4.21
TPSA 43.77
natoms 33
MW 442.60
nON 4
nOHNH 1
nviolations 0
nrotb 7
volume 435.53

Desmethylamido Deschloro Loperamide*

v2021.10

miLogP 4.03
TPSA 66.56
natoms 31
MW 414.55
nON 4
nOHNH 3
nviolations 0
nrotb 7
volume 400.91

Well, the patent notes that removing the -Cl increases mu affinity by a factor of 40 and other opioids suggest that unalkylated amides are the most active. If you take a look at piritamide, particularly. Only the pirinitramide class of 3,3-diphenyl heptanone open-chain opioids do not need a chiral methyl side-chain to be morphine-class potency. In fact, I suggest reading:

US Patent 3080366 1-(omega, omega-diphenylalkyl)-4-amino-4-piperidinecarboxyamides and derivatives thereof
European Patent 2354133B1 Method for producing 1-(3-Cyano-3,3-diphenylpropyl)-4-(1-piperidyl)-piperidine-4-carboxamide (Piritramide)

Piritamide

v2021.10

miLogP 3.79
TPSA 73.36
natoms 32
MW 430.60
nON 5
nOHNH 2
nviolations 0
nrotb 7
volume 424.30

https://www.molinspiration.com/cgi-bin/properties - So, now everyone can draw & calculate physical properties. The last LogP I ever want to calculate.

Last edited:
Good question, I have no idea whether the long QT syndrome is from loperamide directly or another mechanism that activates as a result of loperamide ingestion, but I am not sure if it matters either way as loperamide is triggering it. Although if the mechanism was understood it could allow people to potentially take something to prevent it from happening. Ultimately I don't know that pursuing loperamide as a recreational drug is worthwhile though, as it feels quite dirty, and it can be taken in lower doses than those that are dangerous to help against withdrawal (which is the only reason I ever take it).

Good question, I have no idea whether the long QT syndrome is from loperamide directly or another mechanism that activates as a result of loperamide ingestion, but I am not sure if it matters either way as loperamide is triggering it. Although if the mechanism was understood it could allow people to potentially take something to prevent it from happening. Ultimately I don't know that pursuing loperamide as a recreational drug is worthwhile though, as it feels quite dirty, and it can be taken in lower doses than those that are dangerous to help against withdrawal (which is the only reason I ever take it).

Well, I took the time to consider all of the modifications.

There are MANY potent opioids that can be made in 1 step from commercially available precursors. U-47700 is the classic example. Those not generally known I'm keeping to myself because SOMEONE will pay to know, but believe me, from scratch is almost always the way to go. The phenanthracines & the morphinans are the 2 exceptions.

There is a method to N-deallylated naloxone in 1 step. You can add an N-phenylethyl to noroxymorphone ins 1 step.... and WHO is going to find a 10Kg load of naloxone to be suspicious (as far as illicit drug production goes)?

↑yep, as others said 200mg is opioid replacement, at least for someone with a twenty bag of tar heroin habit getting 'completely well'.

I was addicted to loperamide for three years, roughly 200mg a day (a whole 96ct. bottle of 2mg a piece tablets), I took one every day for three years. When I was in the throes of that, I could take as much as 400mg but never more, you'd start having scary issues above that threshold, yet I would say never go above 200mg. My height is 5'8", 135lbs around this time.

Looks like N&PD finally has new mods. congrats. I know I have been having problems lately, struggling with the streets and addiction again. Borrowed someone's phone just to check a log-on. Yes I am still alive.

My goodness - 3 years? Were you taking loperamide to avoid opioid abstinence syndrome? I cannot believe that any loperamide trials ever approached those doses so it is a complete unknown. The fact that it's action at higher doses seems complex and unexplored is worrying. HR agencies are JUST waking up on the topic but I don't think it's abstinence syndrome is well documented.

Please, please be careful!

I’m just a Mom, but want you to know the dangers of loperamide are very real. My daughter died from “acute complications of loperamide toxicity”. She was dependant on hydrocod one, and had run out of her meds. I don’t know how much she took. I, along with EMS/paramedics/firefighters were with her the moment she died. CPR was immediately started, Naloxone given multiple times. We did not know at the time that she had taken loperamide, but it caused her heart to stop. Too much brain damage, and she died later that night. Please, please be careful taking loperamide! Someone loves you and will be forever broken by your absence!💔

I've had strange heart palpitations /etc.. even on short binges of low dose loperamide. (10mg-20mg)

I assume the dangers are pretty real. Especially if you go up higher.
Not only cardiotoxicity but you can paralyze your intestines/colon or give yourself a bowel obstruction.

You are better off getting on subs or methadone if you need an opioid.

They'll start restricting access to it and are already manufacturing it with less tablets inside.

Rather than do something about the root cause (the drug war) or increase access to opioid maintenance.

Yeah I noticed it seems impossible to get the 96 count bottles now, 24 packs of blisters are all I can find. This is relevant because I am coming off opiates again and plan to use loperamide as needed to help... and gabapentin, but I can't do gabapentin too often since I've had dependence on that class before, too. So I've stocked up on the 24 pack blisters of the generics from my grocery store. I notice they are always almost out. Last time I did this, I was able to get 96 count bottles, now the shelf doesn't even have a spot for those.

48mg is my max dose, and it helps, a lot. Haven't used any yet, but I have 3 doses of suboxone I am doing 2 days apart, tomorrow is my last one. So in a few days I will likely be eating some loperamide.

Off topic but I am sitting here with severe back pain.

It hurts to stand, sit, walk & trying to lay down in a comfortable position is difficult.

I am literally clenching my fists & gritting my teeth. And have been for 5 days. Deciding not to go to a doctor because I know they aren't going to help me with the pain. They'll tell me to go home and take tylenol, which does jack shit.

They would rather people suffer in misery than possibly "feel good" from their medicine. This makes me so angry to no end.

That's sad... 100 years ago you could buy "mother's little helper" tincture over the counter, with cocaine and morphine in it. Now, granted, we do have a problem. But the answer is not to remove access to nature's gift of pain relief for people who need it.

That's sad... 100 years ago you could buy "mother's little helper" tincture over the counter, with cocaine and morphine in it. Now, granted, we do have a problem. But the answer is not to remove access to nature's gift of pain relief for people who need it.
I couldn't agree more. <3

If they hadn't done so, "loperamide abuse" wouldn't have ever been a thing most likely.

It's insane that I have no control over whether or not I get relief (whether it's pain, depression, etc..) without having to break the law to do so.

To get back on topic..
I've actually wondered if loperamide could offer any pain relief, since it does act peripherally.
But with my experience with it, I can't recall any pain relief. Which tells me, receptors in the brain or elsewhere need to be activated for real pain relief (I'd imagine).

For joint pain, NSAIDs seem to be the most effective.

Loperamide is something I do not understand. Janssen really engineered it to be peripheral only. Better to bring back diphenoxylate, difenoxin and those related compounds. Yeah, they apparently DO stop opioid withdrawal but they were around for decades without appreciable abuse. I think loperamide won:

a) it was a new, patentable compound
b) because it's so potent, the cost per dose is lowwr.

I, for one, am glad that it is harder to get in bulk. It kills.

Idk,
I've been taking buprenorphine, gabapentin, naproxen, ibuprofen, clonazepam, propranolol, flexeril, kratom, icey hot, cold packs & heating pads.

And I still wanna scream when I stand up or sit down. I can't imagine how much worse the pain would be without all tbis crap, but none of these meds feel like they've even touched it.

I dunno if it's a muscle or a spinal thing. Oh well. :\

I will keep clenching my fist & teeth and pray that one day I wake up and my back is no longer crooked.

As for loperamide, it's too dirty and dangerous of a drug to use for a high or even for maintenance. Some people have been successful with it for long term, but I wouldn't wanna try it.