• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Forbes - Alleged Silk Road Creator's Lawyer Moves To Drop All Charges

I'm as cynical about the legal system as anyone, but is it really necessary to state - with certainty - that this guy is guilty?
Of course they'll want to lock him up and throw away the key, but these are uncharted waters (so to speak).

The prosecution will not want to give too much away regarding NSA surveillance or anything about how they cracked TOR (or what sort of secretive backdoor access they have to darkweb information that is not in the public domain - if there is any).
there's no known 'cracks' in TOR if you're using it properly (ie, you're using proper settings, specifically- the most up-to-date browser bundle, and proper etiquette w/ implementation)
BUT, that's only the TOR technology, which still relies on exit nodes- which can, quite easily, be compromised if you control enough exit nodes (this has been done by ppl for studies of tor, and it's - IMO - more than a given that NSA controls sufficient exit nodes. I see protocols like TOR as good anonymity controls against most 3rd parties, but actually a more likely way to be watched by larger orgs - if you can control enough nodes to statistically analyze traffic, then you'd clearly do so, as such traffic would certainly be 'higher value targets' than normal comm's.

I am extremely dubious that we are being told the absolute truth about this case. Perhaps Ulbricht was really careless. Perhaps evidence against him has been retrospectively engineered, or he has been the victim of an elaborate piece of entrapment.
he was careless, in that he just presumed tor was bulletproof (and other terrible op-sec, but mostly - i mean jesus, to just be using tor like that, from the same laptop @the local library, is just wayy too much faith in a tech that'd be fair to presume could be compromised if you thought about it) Honestly i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, my gut tells me they coulda broken silk road way sooner than they did, i mean the NSA will toss 'leads' to DEA/others and they'll obscure where the original lead was to absolve nsa involvement. If i had to bet, i'd wager that nsa had knowledge of who taylor was far before they actually moved on him, and that things like the 'assassinations' and the fake ID's were controlled by them for purposes of a stronger case)

Let the guy go. A dreadful pirate clearly framed him.
i'd always thought this was a smart exit strategy IF he hadn't been so foolish as to get caught w/ his laptop logged-in to silk road. w/o that, it wouldn't be too out there for him to have played the 'it wasn't me' card, as he didn't have drugs or $ and, given teh nature of the 'dread pirate roberts' handle being passed on from person to person, there'd be a case of reasonable doubt it wasn't him. But having been caught w/ his laptop on / logged-in, that's out the window (again, terrible fucking op-sec! Like, you're really running something of this scale, sitting at a library (same library you always use :| ) and not watching your back to be able to logoff the thing (or even having 1-button power-off/HDD-erase installed?? I mean there's a million problems w/ how weak he approached this, but i guess hindsight's 20/20)

i'd always thought this was a smart exit strategy IF he hadn't been so foolish as to get caught w/ his laptop logged-in to silk road. w/o that, it wouldn't be too out there for him to have played the 'it wasn't me' card, as he didn't have drugs or $ and, given teh nature of the 'dread pirate roberts' handle being passed on from person to person, there'd be a case of reasonable doubt it wasn't him. But having been caught w/ his laptop on / logged-in, that's out the window (again, terrible fucking op-sec! Like, you're really running something of this scale, sitting at a library (same library you always use :| ) and not watching your back to be able to logoff the thing (or even having 1-button power-off/HDD-erase installed?? I mean there's a million problems w/ how weak he approached this, but i guess hindsight's 20/20)

Stupid me, I had no idea about this.

Hmmm...yeah good point.
I still don't feel comfortable condemning him in a public forum though. Regardless of how many millions of other people are doing the same. But you are quite right; he is alleged to have been caught in the act.