• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants For those of you with diagnosed ADD/ADHD and are medicated

Mynameisphil

Greenlighter
Does it actually help you? How long have you been on your prescription and what do you take? Does it stop helping you after a while?
I have been struggling for a few years with issues.

Bad brain fog
Memory problems
Unable to focus for more than a few minutes or seconds Anxiety
Mild to medium depression
Fatigue and less motivation to do things
Some more but I can't rememebr/not relevant.

I tried to fix my issues by completely quitting all drugs and working on my diet and taking some vitamins. I was sober for about 1.5-2 years but it didn't help and there was no improvement.

Eventually I found my way back to drugs (weed, alcohol, Kratom being the most used) and my situation is worse now, and my anxiety is at the point where all day it's hard for me to breath or catch my breath. I have no interest in school.

I come from a family where my parents do not like medicine and try to do everything hollistic. I tried that route but nothing changed. It's still how I was raised though, and maybe some stories of your situations could help me change my mind about prescription medications

Now that you have the backstory, will being medicated help me? In the last few days I tried adderall for the first time. The first time I took 40 mg over a couple of hours, and while it was fun and euphoric, it wasn't too great at helping me and made me over emotional. BUT
TODAY I took about 15-20 mg of adderall at around 11:45 AM and everything was great. Mind you this adderall is IR and I only felt better for 2-3 hours before my anxiety and other symptoms creeped back.

I finally felt somewhat clear-headed for the first time in YEARS. I could feel my thoughts connecting better and I was able to process details and my thoughts faster and more efficient. It didn't feel like my head was all clutter. My anxiety went away and I was suprised but adderall actually RELAXED me and I could breath normally again. I felt like how I feel I should normally be like. Happy, motivated, awake and wanting to learn and be successfull in life. The urge to do other drugs was completely gone, and I was able to enjoy being alive. Went away after 2-3 hours though
Should I try to see a psychiatrist and attempt to finally medicate my disorder? Im tired of using drugs recreationally everyday and I want to get my life back on track. Im 20 and in my junior year of college.

Also is this a permanent solution? Or will medication stop helping me after a few weeks/months/years and I'll wind up even more depressed and fucked up. Im tired of being in a blur and I want to try and be happy and function better. Im really smart, but I just don't think I can do it without help anymore.

If you need any more information just ask.

Also what side effects, if any did you have? Did they outweigh the pros?

Last edited:
If you only feel the effects of IR amphetamine for 2-3 hours (the drug has a 12 hour half life - it's in your system for much longer than ~3 hours!) that's a good sign that you'll end up developing tolerance and be back to square 1. That sounds like you're responding to the euphoric/dopaminergic bit of the high, which is what tends to disappear first with regular use, unfortunately.

IME, amphetamines at moderate doses increase focus, concentration and feelings of competence in pretty much everybody, especially in the 'honeymoon phase'. The whole "if amphetamines make you feel more task-focused you have ADD" is nonsense, in my opinion. They've been used for that purpose since they were invented. However, you can't rely on them to provide reward and focus for your daily tasks, because tolerance development will bite you in the ass.

Generally speaking, going to a doctor and asking for an amphetamine prescription will get you turned down, it's not one of the "front line" drugs that modern physicians prefer due to the pesky scheduled-drug thing. If you exhibit a history of "drug abuse", it's almost a certainty that you'll be blacklisted from amphetamines for a long time, too, so it may be best to limit discussion of your colorful past.

This is bordering on a "how do I get XYZ prescribed" thread though... be careful, we don't allow that.

Im tired of using drugs recreationally everyday and I want to get my life back on track.

Well, maybe getting addictive drugs prescribed works against you in that respect...

Well im not asking how to get specifically adderall. I just want help, from a doctor. If another medication works for me then that's great!

I don't want any advice on how to be prescribed a drug either, I just want to know how medication has helped other people in my situation

I don't want to be dependant on any drugs, but I have to ask myself if it's worth living like I am now, or being dependant on a drug. Id just like to hear some success stories or failure stories.

Also the initial "feelings" of adderall last 2-3 hours, but for a few hours after im still more focused, clear and overall balanced.

Also, does anyone know if a new doctor can see what I have told other doctors? I planned on not telling my doctors about my drug use but a few years back I did tell one or two doctors about my experimenting in highschool. Can they see that?

Also by me saying "im tired of using drugs....etc" I meant more in the sense I am tired of using drugs recreationally as a band-aid to my underlying issues

Last edited:
OP, sekio explained it nicely. Use the search function for more information. Closed.

Dexedrine changed my life bro. Here's the thing. You might think that, because your doctor prescribed you 30mg/day, and you ended up abusing it with 90+mg/day and then running out early, that your treatment failed, and like sekio is saying, being prescribed such medication works against you and goes against the scope of the treatment:

Wrong. The abuse is itself part of the treatment. In fact, I should add that it plays an important role. It creates important changes in the brain, for me, I love myself now man, you should see me talking to big shots from my company and doing presentations. The doctor himself knows that the medication has a high abuse potential, and he also knows that, despite the abuse, the medication is very successful. So abuse the thing if you want, knowing that a time will come when you will no longer abuse it because you won't feel the need to do that, and then you will fucking love yourself and where your life has gotten you. Sometimes the abuse has to happen. If it has to happen it has to happen.

Stop feeling sorry about your abuse...you're fucking enlightened, it's the best moment of your life, and you're wasting it with pointless anxiety, fears and regrets, who gives a fuck?

Thanks for the advice guys. Last question as I saw that the thread didn't get closed.

I was planning on not telling my doctor about my former drug use. BUT I just rememebered that 2 years ago I told 2 doctors about my drug experimentation in highschool and early college.

Can my new doctor see that I told the other doctors? Im not sure if they put it in my records or not. I told them it was just experimenting in highschool and that I was done (which I did stay sober for 2 years).

I don't want to tell my new doctor I've never done any drugs, and then he catches me in my lie because he might have seen it. That would ruin the trust completely and destroy my chances of getting meds.

Should I just tell him that I used to experiment in highschool? That it's all over now and im looking to get better. I can even stay completely sober from now on so if he wants to drug test me he can. Is telling him that still a bad idea? Should I take the chance and lie and hope he doesn't have any info about my drug history?

We are not allowed to tell you how to talk to your doctor as it is against the rules.

Okay sorry! Nevermind then! Thanks for replying to my added questions I messaged you. I wanted to thank you in the message system but I can only sent one message every 180 mins. Thanks!