• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

For men only...

Web

Bluelighter
It was a good try by some well meaning males to start a "Macho" thread a few days back... here's something a little more constructive, and possibly educational, for us manly men to talk about. Feel free to go off topic, if it is something that you think is important.

Recently I wrote some things in my journal pertaining to some things that only men need worry about (as we all grow older). This is not excluding females, it's just for issues of health only men need be concerned with.

I was worried that in the near future (or now) that I'd need to discontinue taking any substance that was, in general, a stimulant... because every time I do, my prostate swells up. Not painfully, not really large, just enough that I notice it and know it can't be a good thing.

My journal was read by one of our local brainiacs, fairnymph, and she decided to do a little research on my behalf. Her findings were the following:

Apparently, the prostate is innervated strongly by the sympathetic nervous system, which is basically the system that any stimulant will jack up. Stimulants thus cause increased norepinephrine release, not just centrally (in the brain) but throughout the body. The prostate gland has numerous receptors for norepinephrine, which when activated cause a variety of effects in the prostate...one of which is cell proliferation. [Editors note: layamns terms... swelling]
The GOOD news is that there is a drug which selectively blocks the receptors on the prostate (and thus it would have no effect on your 'high'); this drug is quite effective and relatively free of side effects. It is called Alfuzosin (brand name: Uroxatral), and if you were able to get some you'd want to take one a day (it only comes in 10 mg) starting a few days before you use a stimulant until a few days after.

-Big thanks to Julia for her work!

So, with this in mind, I have definitely made the decision to stop all use of stimulants in the future, because I do NOT want to be fucking up my prostate... so many things go wrong with this gland on it's own as men get older.

Presented with this information, it's led me to think even more about the prostate and what might cause other substance related side effects... is it possible that prostate swelling has something to do with what people affectionately call "speed willy" (meaning you have difficulty getting it up, or keeping up while on stims)? I know men with prostate problems have difficulty urinating... and sometimes people have trouble with that while high too.

the prostate. one of those subjects no one "wants" to talk about but more of us need to know about like testicular cancer. i read somewhere that if we lived long enough ALL men would eventually develop prostate cancer... that's nice. i've heard and read sooo many things that i don't even know heads or tails anymore, seems like trying to prevent cancer is like finding the holy grail these days... i guess knowing what to look for/early detection is still what we have to aim for. one of my fellow volunteers is a nurse and they had a patient who didn't detect testicular cancer early and after it spread it ended up paralyzing him... i check my testicles regularly now (highest-risk group is young adult to late twenties).

i don't smoke, i eat healthy most times, i exercise daily, i don't do drugs anymore, i take a multivitamin daily- but with my heredity i'm still high risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. my genes are doomed to fall to natural selection.

I've heard it said by people who eat a (strict) diet of organic food that they believe the reasons for the upsurge in colon and prostate cancer over the years are fairly obvious. When you think about the chemicals 'healthy' food are treated with, its scary. Considering most of it is grown in developing countries where westerner banned chemicals are still used! Scary stuff.

^^ thats the advantage of home grown vegtables. Seriously you'll be amazed at the difference, the flavours that a vegatable natuarally grown compared to one forced to grow (or these days alot of vegtables a geneticaly designed).

But I hear ya Web on the age thing - ever since I turned 30 three years ago I became conscious of my own mortality.

Ok, and I swear this is a completely serious question, but what does a swollen prostate feel like?

Also, the only drug I've ever had trouble peeing while under its influence was heroin. I never seemed to get it with speeds or MDMA, I wonder if heroin effects the prostate.

**zips off to research**

*walks in*

*looks around*

*throws a tampon in the thread*

*walks out*

HA HA!!

:p

*pulls randycaver's bra strap*

thwap!!
=D

okay, that's all. you boys continue on.....;)

MattPD, I'm not too sure how I could answer that question... I can tell you one thing, it doesn't feel "normal". Next time I get that feeling I'll let you know.

Web said:
MattPD, I'm not too sure how I could answer that question... I can tell you one thing, it doesn't feel "normal". Next time I get that feeling I'll let you know.

This might be a stupid question but how did u know it was ur prostate......where did u feel he pain?

^There are no satupid questions... embarrasing maybe, but not stupid. ;)

Or maybe I should say, embarrasing ANSWERS... I knew it was my prostate because when I got worried and started "probing" (yeah, I probed myself),... lets just say it was an explosive response.

As for pain, there was none, just a swelling pressure. You ever have just a "feeling"... no pain or discomfort, just a feeling, and you know something isn't right?

kinda like you need to drop a log? like pressure, not pain?

wait, mortality? what? im 19, ill never die.
[goes off to pull some stupid stunt]

Great thread! This is going on my list of motivation to give up stimulants, thanks for the inspiration Web.

You flatter me, Web. ;)

Just a note about the 'cell proliferation' -- it does mean swelling, but literally it means that cells are dividing. Cancer is what happens when cells start dividing like crazy and get out of control. Apparently it's not all that uncommon for men to randomly get cell proliferation in the prostrate, and these men are prescribed Alfuzosin.

I have no idea how difficult it is to get Alfuzosin, but based on how it works, I imagine it would provide extremely good protection against stimulant-related prostrate swelling. If I were a guy I would most certainly take it any time I did a stimulant.

Oh, and if anyone likes Dame Edna...oh man just read about 'her' husband Norm's prostrate issues for a laugh. :D

Okay, this is an embarrassing question! How the hell do you actually probe your prostate gland? It's just that when you say the word 'probe', I can only think of 1 place to probe:\

sMiLeYcHrIs said:
Okay, this is an embarrassing question! How the hell do you actually probe your prostate gland? It's just that when you say the word 'probe', I can only think of 1 place to probe:\

You'll need to get a friend to probe in order to correctly check the gland. 8( The usual test starts by having the patient lie on his side in a fetal position. The gland is located with the forefinger or middle finger, and pushed quite firmly (read: it fuckin hurts!!), with finger feeling over the gland through the colon wall. Any rough or gritty patches are what's felt for. If it's all smooth, you're considered OK.

I've often wondered whether amphetamines, particularly meth, can cause irritation of the prostate. MDMA is reported to have agonist actions in the vas deferens, which reduces stimulus evoked contractions. (Rajamani et al., 2001) so maybe it's this that I've experienced.

Last edited: