• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

For Audible members having trouble making ends meet…

Fiori di Bella

Bluelight Crew
Hello to any of you Audible Members,

I just contacted Audible to cancel my Audible subscription, which I’ve had for 13+ years. When I went on the Audible website, they advised that all iPhone users needed merely to go to their settings, then subscriptions, and find Audible and select “cancel membership”. For whatever reason, Audible did not show up as one of my subscriptions, though I did see ESPN, Apple Music and Plant Identifier***, all of which I canceled. I’m not currently working very many hours so I need to get rid of these extras in my life.

After not finding Audible listed in my iPhone subscriptions, I phoned Audible to speak with them personally. When they asked why I wished to cancel, I told them that I was only working about 2 hours/week currently and that when I get more work, I’ll re-enroll with them. When I told them this, they offered to let me stay onboard, completely free, until January 7, 2023! They emailed me a confirmatory letter with these details which I screenshotted and saved to my favorites, in case I couldn’t find the letter in my email at some point in the future.

So if you find yourself wanting to stay with Audible but finding yourself in a spot where you can’t really afford it, do what I did: call them directly. I’m delighted that I’ll be getting 4 months free and I verified that I’ll not be getting billed for 4 months of their services on January 7th, 2023, which was my first question.

***I will now go off on a happy tangent! Plant Identifier is a beyond words cool website that allows one to take a picture of a leaf, blossom or branch of a tree, hedge, bush, shrub or flower 🌿🍁🌳🌾🌹and the program analyses the provided feature(s) and identifies the plant. Along with the ID, it gives the user such facts as whether the plant is edible, if it causes skin distress if handled, where it grows and in which climate it grows best, and other facts that may be useful to the reader. In addition to the Plant Identifier app, there are also apps that ID Rocks + Gemstones, Mushrooms, Insects, Birds, Cats, Dogs, Fish, Spiders, Reptiles + Amphibians, Colors, Fonts, Drugs, Airplanes and many more. This genre of apps is fascinating to me and I downloaded a number of them that were free to use without the need to spend $$ while using the in-app tools.

This trick actually works with a lot of subscription services. If you randomly call them and say you want to cancel they will often give you some sort of discount on your current price. Mentioning you're switching to a cheaper competitor is often the best.

Also I randomly read something today about the app Libby, which apparently is free and just as good if not better than Audible.

Wow, I’ve never heard of Libby; I’m going to have to czech it out.

I do know about LibriVox, which is a 100% free audiobook website. They have a lot of the classics, books by Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Nathaniel Hawthorne. You won’t find books on the New York Times Best Seller List on LibriVox, but I do enjoy listening to some of these classics when the lights are out and I’m trying to fall asleep…