• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Foods/supplements to control body temperature?

FallenOne86

Bluelighter
Is there any food or supplement that’s useful in cooling your body temperature? I faint during the summer time and I wanna take preventive measures. And yes I do my best to stay hydrated every single day drinking 1 and a half to 2 gallons of water everyday

With how much water your drinking could it maybe be an electrolyte issue? 1-2 gallons a day is quite a bit.

I know my wife gets it bad right after a good MDMA experience and we chalked it up to a messed up electrolyte balance.

-GC

With how much water your drinking could it maybe be an electrolyte issue? 1-2 gallons a day is quite a bit.

I know my wife gets it bad right after a good MDMA experience and we chalked it up to a messed up electrolyte balance.

-GC
I’m not sure because I’m also drinking gatorade along side the water. I quit drinking soda completely years ago so it’s just water, light blue gatorade and on occasion maybe squirt but I drink just as much Gatorade on purpose to balance it out because I’ve experienced that feeling of having too much water and low electrolytes and it’s a crummy feeling but it shouldn’t be the issue now

Are you sure that body temperature is the cause of your fainting episodes then? Fainting can be due to blood pressure issues, blood sugar irregularities, hormone imbalances, a myriad of other things.

(Also as a side note, gatorade has a shitload of sugar in it, just as much as soda, so if you gave up drinking soda because of the sugar content but are still drinking gatorade you might wanna quit the gatorade too. There are other ways to get electrolytes if you need to replenish them, due to exercise or excessive sweating etc).

i would echo @n3ophy7e - though heat may be a trigger i doubt your body temperature is massively out of whack.

your body is very good at maintaining homeostasis. if a food could genuinely do this we could inadvertently give ourselves hypothermia. the symptoms of hyperthermia tend to be very severe.

fainting in heat is generally caused by drops in blood pressure so i would look at ways of reducing the chances of that.

You guys are probably right.. and I’m gonna lean more towards blood sugar. I’ve had problems with that before. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get bloods done to check my thyroid if I overhear that much! Because I stay hydrated.

PS if I made it seem like I drink a crap ton of Gatorade I apologize. I am aware of the sugar content, but I only have like 1 maybe 2 a day but usually chugging on my gallon water jug throughout the day

For me, Summer is a big time to start more becoming aware of what I consume and when.

First thing I need to do is maintain my blood sugar throughout the day. That means eating healthy and enough, but not too, much food every 4 hours. High protein, low fat, high fiber is a good way to think about it. Prepping your own food might be a good way to get around eating whatever is available.

Second thing I need to do is consume water, which is something that you're doing. In that consumption you need to be aware of your electrolyte balance. If you're drinking a gallon of water or more a day, maybe you should put some oral rehydration salts for every half gallon of water you drink if you are feeling over heated. (Trioral is the brand that use if I'm doing medical responding for heat stroke in a place where there is a garbage can. There are also pellets that I use when I'm in a wilderness environment. I can't remember the brand, but they come in a bucket and they work great.) As far as drinking Gatorade goes, stop it. It causes blood sugar spikes. It is a lot like drinking a Sprite. Same sugar levels. Gatorade really doesn't have enough "electrolytes" in it to make it worth it.

The third thing I do is eat spicy food. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it works well for me in hot weather.

If you spend 2 hours prepping food and water throughout the week... I'd bet you start feeling better immediately. If you'd like to know more about what I do. Shoot me a message.

The third thing I do is eat spicy food. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it works well for me in hot weather.
I'd love to know more about this cos I love spicy food, but is there an actual scientific reason for it that you know of?

I'd love to know more about this cos I love spicy food, but is there an actual scientific reason for it that you know of?

Eating spicy food increases your circulation. If you are also well hydrated, I assume that helps you respirate, sweat, and cool down. There are definitely scientific articles that say something to this effect.

My experience has taught me that as the weather heats up so does the amount of chili I put into my food. I started doing it when I was still using. Someone bet me that I couldn't eat a handful of habenero peppers in 30 minutes. I did eat them, but I was also sweating profusely and thought "Hey... maybe this will help me stay cooler during the times when it's hot.

The various places I've visited with this attitude (SEAsia, portions of the Middle East, and so on) seem to do well with spicy food and when I adopted the local diet, I felt better. Gotta stay properly hydrated though or you risk heat stroke. That has happened to me twice now. I got caught up in what I was doing and the later that day and well into the next... I was WIPED out.