Info Following - What Does That Mean?

dalpat077

Bluelighter
For the sake of interest:

What does it mean if somebody is "Following" you?

And (depending on the answer to the above):

What possible reason could someone have to join these forums, have absolutely no posts or other interactions whatsoever with any other forum members, and just start following you and only you?

Following means in your 'alerts' you will get notifications when that person posts somewhere. This way you can follow all their posts on the site.

Typically, this is done if you find someone you believe to be interesting, or amusing, or whatever; then you follow them so you can keep up with the content they post.

You can click on their avatar, then select the "Follow" option

137Rq2V.png

Then, anytime you log in, if that person has posted you will have an alert (highlighted RED box) to show you their posts. Alternatively, you can click on your name >> "News Feed" (ORANGE boxes); OR you can click on the Navbar link for "What's New" >> "News Feed" (PURPLE boxes)

PetcGpQ.png

If you later change your mind, you can unfollow someone by going through your name >> Following >> Unfollow

xSJJMg9.png

For people wondering if their being followed

You can go into your name >> Preferences and set an alert so you know anytime anyone starts following you

g6hUAC2.png

and

I'm not sure about this bit, but you may be able to block people from following you? I haven't worked with that area of the software, but perhaps others can chime in on this option?

Click your name >> Privacy >> Who can get your feed

oBr6UKI.png

Following means in your 'alerts' you will get notifications when that person posts somewhere. This way you can follow all their posts on the site.

Typically, this is done if you find someone you believe to be interesting, or amusing, or whatever; then you follow them so you can keep up with the content they post.

You can click on their avatar, then select the "Follow" option

137Rq2V.png

Then, anytime you log in, if that person has posted you will have an alert (highlighted RED box) to show you their posts. Alternatively, you can click on your name >> "News Feed" (ORANGE boxes); OR you can click on the Navbar link for "What's New" >> "News Feed" (PURPLE boxes)

PetcGpQ.png

If you later change your mind, you can unfollow someone by going through your name >> Following >> Unfollow

xSJJMg9.png

For people wondering if their being followed

You can go into your name >> Preferences and set an alert so you know anytime anyone starts following you

g6hUAC2.png

and

I'm not sure about this bit, but you may be able to block people from following you? I haven't worked with that area of the software, but perhaps others can chime in on this option?

Click your name >> Privacy >> Who can get your feed

oBr6UKI.png
Explained very well! Was something I was wondering about myself. Thanks!

This might be a stupid question, but is there a way to stop someone from following you? I've gotten a few followers since getting back on BL, but one of them I'm not fully comfortable with following. It's no big deal, I'm just curious because the user in question has almost no posts.

You can set your profile to where only friends can view it, that would probably solve your issue

I have the same issue hence my starting this thread.

In my case I do happen to know who one of them is (and have been in contact with them privately and no problem). But I have another one: no posts, no interactions, nothing, and following only me. I'd like to think that everything I post is absolutely riveting stuff of course hence this person deciding to follow only me but I doubt that's the case! Lol!

I wonder what would happen if you elected to "Ignore" somebody following you? Actually never mind. Dumb statement. Just means that if they ever decided to contact you then you'd not receive a notification or something along those lines (I'm guessing but I think I'm right).

Probably not that big of a deal though let's face it. If somebody wants to see your posts all they have to do is click on your username and then click on the number shown under "Messages" and every message you have posted is then listed (unless there's an option to turn this off of course).

But if there is a way to stop somebody following you then I'm doing it. You guys from the DEA, ATF, FBI, SAPS, and SANEB are at least going to have to work for your money and login here a few times per day to see what I'm up to i.e. no more free email alerts! And let me save you some trouble i.e. I've done nothing wrong (yet)! Lol! And to the Cartels: I only need to make about $500K USD and then I'm out i.e. not going to make a dent in the bigger scheme of things and certainly no competition so let's all play nice! Lol!

(Back to the land of dreams for me i.e. I WISH I was that important! Lol!).
I don't think it's working well anyway, definitely no email notifications.
I clicked following you to see what would happen and nothing did. No email notifications or flashing red lights on the screen. 🙂

its the followers thing, you can set it to where only people that you are following can see your profile and such.

its the followers thing, you can set it to where only people that you are following can see your profile and such.
Not to argue the point as I'm no expert on this but surely all this would do is ensure that only certain people (or nobody) can see your profile details. It will not stop an individual from "Following" you?

"Following" really just means you can curate your own news feed populated entirely with posts from people you follow, using the "Your News Feed" option to see those posts, as TLB has pictured above. That's all. There's nothing sinister or subversive about it. It usually just means the person finds something you've written interesting or considers you a friend, nothing more.

The thread title got me: Was just thinking how many I follow and did not even have to make a choice to > on automatic it would appear.
Not saying I wouldnt follow others.
Just kinda weird and leave it be...