• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Folin reagent

stayhealthy970

Bluelighter
So my simons an robadope just ran out an I was thinking of getting the Folin reagent. But I'm alil skeptical since it's new! ?

What's your thoughts on it?!?

It's good for the reasons they give, but it is frustrating that they have discontinued simon's reagent. The ability to distinguish primary and secondary amines reliably was useful IMHO.

It's good for the reasons they give, but it is frustrating that they have discontinued simon's reagent. The ability to distinguish primary and secondary amines reliably was useful IMHO.
The new reagent isn't reliable when trying to discern primary from secondary amines? I can't find much info on it since it's still very new. My simons still has 3/4 left so I'll be good for a while, but if Folin's isn't reliable I'll be ordering a testkit from somewhere else next time

It's not that it's not reliable, just that Simon's was a binary reagent which applied to all secondary amines. Folin is probably more useful for most users but for those of us with slightly more advanced needs it's not as good.

We had an opportunity to test the Folin reagent on bunch of GC/MS verified substances and we must say we can not understand DANCE SAFE why they did it. Even for the substances that tend to produce a reaction the scope of colors is so narrow and similar that i will only cause confusion. The worst thing is that when you combine A + B without any substance the color produced is very similar to colors for several substances on their chart. IMHO this was not a great decision. There is an article online (i can't find it now) where even the lab technicians have concluded that it's not a reliable field reagent. Will try to find it and publish it here.