• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Folin A/B test turning dark blue?

Mirinor

Greenlighter
I apologise if this is the wrong place for this. I just tested a sample of a drug. With a few different tests, actually, but the confusing one was what happened when I added Folin A then Folin B. The sample went a rather pretty dark blue color (almost black, there might be a hint of green in it in the right light.
I can't find anything that should react that way with that test. Repeating the test in a clean container gives the same result. Putting just the folin into a clean container does not give this result, so the sample does appear to be causing this.
So... does anyone have any idea what this stuff might be? The other results (Mecke, Ehrlich, Mandelin, Marquis) roughly match DMT, but I can't find anything suggesting that DMT would cause the Folin to react this way.
EDIT: Because I forgot to mention it, the sample is a clear liquid. Which also means I can't send it off to be tested, annoyingly.

Last edited:
Phenolic substances, cysteine, and monosaccharides might make it go blue. Your stuff probably cut with NAC and/or sugar.

Phenolic substances, cysteine, and monosaccharides might make it go blue. Your stuff probably cut with NAC and/or sugar.
Sorry - I was wrong. Blue results are from the Folin–Ciocalteu reagent not the plain Folin reagent.

Edit: Are you certain you are not using Simon’s Reagent by mistake? That’ll give blue for any secondary amines like MDMA and meth and it’s also a two-bottle test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. Does that mean testkitplus.com sent me the wrong reagent, then?
(With regards to the sugar, I should add that this is a clear liquid rather than a powder. Which I should have mentioned in my OP. Apologies.)

Ah. Does that mean testkitplus.com sent me the wrong reagent, then?
(With regards to the sugar, I should add that this is a clear liquid rather than a powder. Which I should have mentioned in my OP. Apologies.)
as per edit in previous post you might have been using Simon’s Reagent if your sample contains MDMA or Meth.

If you are using Folin I presume you are testing MDMA or MDA for piperazine or for BZP itself. However maybe you are testing GHB if it is a liquid?

I am certain the bottles are *labeled* Folin A and Folin B. I am not certain that's what they actually contain, is there a quick way to distinguish whether they actually contain Folin or Simon's?
I was going to say the Mecke test doesn't seem to match either MDMA or meth, but of course nothing says this has to be one drug. For a record the other results were: Mecke - Reddish brown. Ehrlich - Lilac, very slow change that went through pink. Mandelin - I am pretty sure there was no change. Marquis - dark brown, almost black.
The one thing I'm *sure* of is that this isn't what it's supposed to be, which is LSD dissolved in alcohol. DMT seems plausible because it's another psychedelic that fits the results... except the folin. But the honest truth is that this could be pretty much anything. I haven't exactly tried taking any yet.
(For the record it does definitely smell alcoholic.)

Last edited:
Is anything particularly weird about the results, other than the folin? Are those not what you'd expect from normal DMT?
I had not been planning on taking it without figuring out the blue folin thing, don't worry. Honestly I'd quite like to figure it out even if I'm definitely not taking any. Especially if the answer might be that my folin isn't folin. Hence wondering if there's a quick way to see what's actually in these folin bottles.
But I admit to a certain level of burning curiosity, too. Unexpected results are interesting. And potentially useful for the next person.

Ok. I’m just working this out as I type

Mecke: reddish brown = possible Methylone (if slow colour change) or Dextropropoxyphene
Ehrlich: pink through to violet = possible LSD, psilocybin, DMT, 5meo-dmt

So far so confusing because Mecke should go greenish black for LSD.

Mandelin: no change = possible LSD but also piperazines (toxic)
Marquis: dark brown/black = possible MDMA plus Methamphetamine or amphetamine. MDA and MDMA alone can be black but it’s purple-black.

“Folin”” blue -= no record anywhere of it turning blue

But

Simon’s: blue = possible MDMA, MDMA + methamphetamine, methylone, ephedrine, PMMA (toxic)

If your Folin is really Simon’s then your concoction sounds like LSD + Meth + MDMA. Which would be a blast but I’ve never heard of it being sold as a mixture like that. I also don’t know how the combination of those three would effect the colour results of the individual reagents that are sensitive to both (plus whatever else is in there).

Sorry I can’t be of more help here. I suggest you replace your Folin with new bottles from another supplier to be certain it’s not SImon’s. For conclusive test for DMT you want Hofmann reagent followed by Mecke.

Last edited by a moderator: