• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Focalin XR 10mg Questions

KoSekki

Greenlighter
Hi bluelight, couple questions I am hoping to ask and maybe get some insight on.

I was recently diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and I was given a prescription for Focalin XR 10mg 1x/day in the morning.

My questions are, [and this is after searching]...

1.Foxcalin XR 10mg, does this mean there is 10mg in the pill TOTAL, meaning 5mg released when taken and 5mg released awhile later, or does this mean 10mg when taken, and 10mg released later? Would the latter mean that there is a total of 20mg in each 10mgXR capsule?

2.Is Dexmethylphenidate Neurotoxic in anyway? Will it reduce or lower Serotonin levels? Will it deplete Dopamine/Norepinephrine levels in the brain over time?

3.Should I be taking N-Acetyl-Tyrosine to replace the D/N while taking this medication?

4.How will I know when I have gained too much tolerance to the drug that the dose is then ineffective? IE.All the symptoms come back or just doesn't feel as good as it used too anymore?

5.What should I be taking along with the Focalin to prevent neurotoxicity, reduce tolerance and potentially make the medication more effective?

6.Will drinking a base such as Milk before taking the medication make it absorb better?

7. I used to take 400-500mg Propylhexedrine every day for the past 7 months. Will I have a tolerance to the Focalin already when I switch over?

Thank you for your help ^^ I am very glad to have been given a second chance at life with this medicine, it's working wonders.

Yes there's 10mg total in the pill. I'm not sure of the release mechanism but usually with xr half is released and the other half based on the drugs half life and dexmethylphenidate's is around four - six hours.

Yes. Being a potent psychostimulant, dexmythylphenidate is neurotoxic in high doses but I would say it's fine in regular doses even with chronic use. It wouldn't deplete serotonin levels: it's a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor which means it works on those neurotransmitters preventing them from being taken back up into the postsynaptic cell into storage vesicles and left in the synaptic cleft to be broken down by monoamine oxidase (MAO), which, to answer your question means that, in high and chronic doses the drug will significantly deplete these two neurotransmitters but if taken regularly you should be fine as a good diet should provide the right and enough precursors.

Yes I would take n acetyl l tyrosine. Also b6, in the form of pyridoxal 5 phosphate (it's active natural coenzyme form) if you don't mind paying extra. But don't take them at the same time because the b6 will convert the tyrosine outside the brain rendering it utterly useless. At least an hour apart.

Yes. You'll know if your dose is ineffectual if you fail to respond to like you did in the past. This is indicative of tolerance. Symptoms shouldn't really return if you're taken the same dose regularly but if not then they probably will.

Magnesium, preferably in citrate or glycinate form, will help with nerotoxicity and help prevent toxicity. But even more so is dexteomethorphan. Low doses because at high doses it has it's own recreational effects as an dissociative drug. But it's an NMDA antagonist and they're known to reduce tolerance as well as being neuroprotective (in low doses). I would also recommend glutamine. Memantine is also an option, similarly an NMDA antagonist though somewhat different. But it's prescription and may be hard to get. Are you looking exclusively for OTC remedies or prescription ones too? Any GABAergic and anticonvulsant will be neuroprotective. Cannabinoids are powerful neuroprotective agents as well.
The tyrosine will make it more effective. There's l dopa you can buy online that's extracted from velvet bean I believe...mucuna pruriens? Low dose amphetamines or other NDRIs like cocaine, phentermine, or low doses of bupropion since you don't want it's nicotinic anticholinergic effects antagonizing everything.I would recommend 5-htp or an SSRI to add serotonergic effects as well effectively making serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor effects, ie cocaine which is an SNDRI.

No. I don't think the using the milk will make a difference. I don't the ph affects methylphenidate as it's not an amphetamine.

Propylhexedrine is an amphetamine so it works diffcurrently than focalin so there isn't cross tolerance But since you're very used to stimulant effects the focalin won't feel as intense as it would had you been naive to stimulants.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information ^^ I will favorite this and add it to my research documentations.

I am getting worried tho, I never felt a pull with the propylhexedrine, the "urge" to take more. Propyl worked amazingly well for energy, but less for motivation.Even Fentanyl when I ran out and went into w/d I was like "Oh well this sucks meh"

This Focalin.... I feel as if I need to take more and more and more even tho I have been taking it as prescribed. It's that addiction pull and it is beginning to worry the hell out of me, so I may just ask my psychiatrist to take me off of it just to be safe and request a different stim.

I've taken MANY narcotics/stimulants in my lifetime. Fentanyl, Dilaudid, Oxycodone, Adderall, Adderall XR, Buproiprion, Propylhexedrine, Benzos......I've never had a pull on ANY of those as badly as I do now, and I am only on the equivalent of just 5mg IR twice a day basically. Even Adderall i've never had this feeling.