• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Fluvoxamine or Escitalopram for Anxiety?

Mask0ff

Bluelighter
Hi All,

Looking at Fluvoxamine and Escitalopram for anxiety. I have a good understanding of the dynamics and kinetics of both, however, it seems that fluvoxamine may be better for anxiety whereas Escitalopram (Lexapro) might be better suited for depression.

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience with both, or some studies that you find relevant?

I would choose fluvoxamine because it agonist sigma receptors and SSRIs in the same time
I've read that --

I've been trying to compare FLUV and ESCI qualitatively for anxiety with HAM-A scale, but it seems FLUV is primarily studied on the HAM-D.

Es/citalopram are, based on my subjective experiences, ineffective for anxiety and can even exacerbate it. What really works is pregabalin (for generalized anxiety) and low dose DXM -- the latter raised my interest in fluvoxamine but from what I read it isn't any special and the indication is OCD, not anxiety (indications have little to tell though). Venlafaxine can be effective, when you react good to PEAs and/or tramadol as it shares structural similarities specially with the latter.

Would be interested in reading more about fluvoxamine tho.
Good luck :)

I thought Sertraline was the go-to for OCD and long term anxiety especially if it is related to depression.

Usually higher doses of SSRIs are used for anxiety. Paroxetine is officially indicated for some types of anxiety, and bonds tightest to SERT. Good that they treat anxiety and depression, though.