• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Fluoxetine fuck up my dick what antidepressants can i use that won't stop me from nutting?

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
As the title suggests I have some problems with my medication. Those being that I cant cum and I have gynaecomastia. I would like some advice on alternative antidepressants and anxiety meds.

I have a hole in my heart and low blood pressure.

What would you recommend?

I'd probably suggest stopping the fluoxetine and switch to something that doesn't have these side-effects. To be entirely frank, you might reconsider taking antidepressants altogether if they aren't absolutely necessary. I took them for a number of years and had zero business taking them. This is the case for a good number people on them.

In my experience, fluoxetine is the absolute worst for loss of libido and anorgasmia. It completely obliterated my libido, even after I stopped taking it, my libido didn't return for a good solid 3 YEARS afterwards. I can go in to this in more detail if anyone is interested but yes it was definitely the fluoxetine that caused it.

I've tried many other antidepressants, of most different classes of drugs i.e. several SSRIs and SNRIs, an NRI (reboxetine), a DRI (bupropion), an MAOI (moclobemide), the only one that didn't have undesirable effects on my libido and ability to orgasm is the one I'm on now, duloxetine, which is an SNRI.

But, everybody is different.

Last edited:
Mirtazapine is another ok one for this purpose, so is bupropion.

But perhaps its a good to reevaluate treatment. I think its a good think to evalute, though continue treatment if you find it necessary.

you might reconsider taking antidepressants altogether if they aren't absolutely necessary.
Yea sadly they are necessary.
In my experience, fluoxetine is the absolute worst for loss of libido and anorgasmia. It completely obliterated my libido, even after I stopped taking it, my libido didn't return for a good solid 3 YEARS afterwards. I can go in to this in more detail if anyone is interested but yes it was definitely the fluoxetine that caused it.
Fuck that sounds bad. Especially when you stopped and it still continued.

I can't take SSRI's either but for a different reason (schizo),

Although I have been on various SSRIs about a dozen times since I was a teenager they have always been significantly more side effects than what they actually help with.

In reality anti depressants only really help about 15% of the people who take them, it's placebo in the rest. Their efficacy is well known to be terrible and the fact they are even approved is a mystery to me (not really... $$$).

I would advise OP that doing basic things like a routine with exercise, healthy habits and achieving goals is 1000x more effective for depression (IN MY CASE), yet a routine is obviously more difficult to keep than taking a pill.

But don't stop taking them if you really need them. Talk to your doctor about options.

Exercise does WONDERS for my life long anxiety and depression

Yeah I must say there were some dark times where I thought I'd lost my sex drive permanently. It eventually came back though.
yeah I think a lot of us who are/were on heavy APs felt the same. Very dark period of my life not in just what was going on but knowing I had to take these APs, knowing they killed my sex drive, made me gain weight, made me lose my job by falling asleep, HATING THEM.... but thinking if I stopped taking them I would kill myself or worse.

Dark days... luckily I came out of it a stronger person and no longer have to take those pills.

Mirtazapine is another ok one for this purpose, so is bupropion.

But perhaps its a good to reevaluate treatment. I think its a good think to evalute, though continue treatment if you find it necessary.

I dunno about blokes but mirtazapine didn't alter libido for me but effexor has wiped it out completely.

Definitely avoid antidepressants unless they have proven effective in treating depression only, don't believe any bs they help anxiety as they don't abd never have.

Getting a regular sleep pattern solves a lot of depression symptoms, healthy diet and exercise and general effort in life does a lot of the rest. If having orgasms is motivation to get off meds enough to focus on lifestyle then hope it works for you, I'm single and couldn't care less about about getting jiggy with it tbh. :\

^^^^^^^ That is the first time I've ever heard of SSRI's making some one bisexual! lol I am gay and have been on many drugs, but none have ever up and completely changed my attraction or sexuality. Interesting. I heard about this from other people & other drugs & have always wondered if it truly was the drugs that changed their sexuality, or if they already had these attractions & the lowered inhibitions from the drugs made them able to act upon their desires. If it's the former, this would suggest neurotransmitter involvement in attraction & sexuality, which I've never seen any literature about (though it could exist) & might be interesting (to me anyway).

As for OP, everyone can react differently to meds. So what one person recommends works fine for them may not even work for you.

For me, I found that Wellbutrin (buproprion) & Effexor had the least amount of libido-killing effects. In fact, in high enough doses of Effexor it actually made me pro-sexual and even manic. But if you have issues with your heart & blood pressure, I would be careful with the Wellbutrin as it can be stimulating & there are seizure risks.

The best thing that worked for me was getting off SSRIs/SNRI's altogether. But I realize this might not work for everybody. I find opioids to be the best antidepressants and they actually give me random rock hard erections (without even feeling horny). Anyone else ever have this? Although in the spirit of harm reduction, I wouldn't recommend someone who isn't already addicted, to use opioids for depression.

Either way, good luck OP!

As the title suggests I have some problems with my medication. Those being that I cant cum and I have gynaecomastia. I would like some advice on alternative antidepressants and anxiety meds.

Mirtazipine may be something you'd get a lot from.

Adding bupropion (wellbutrin) on top the SSRI/fluoxetine might very well counteract the sexual dysfunction the SSRI is causing. This is a common strategy psychiatrists practice with SSRIs and other antidepressant medication. Bupropion might even help a little bit with your gynecomastia since it is slightly dopaminergic (assuming that your gyno is caused by too high prolactin levels). It's not gonna hurt you and it isn't that big of an inconvenience. I would try it out if were you.

I've tried just about every single SSRI and SNRI (sans fluoxetine and duloxetine) at one point or another, and every single one of them gave me sexual side effects.

It wasn't until recently that I've started bupropion by itself with no SSRI at 300mg, which works just as well if not better for my depression with little to no side effects.

Look into Valdoxan / Agomelatine. It’s a newish non SSRI antidepressant that works via the melatonin system.
I read that as "non-jewish SSRI antidepressant"
:LOL:

I've never found an SSRI/SNRI that didn't have crippling side-effects but I never truly needed them in the first place.

Thank you all for the support and advice. I am truly grateful.

I'm going to talk with my doctor when I can book an appointment to discuss the medications you have razed. Though some I may be unable to do because of health reasons; those being a family history of epilepsy and addiction, and my low blood pressure.

My prime candidates are bupropion, bupropion in combination with the fluoxetine, ropinirol or some other ED drug, and / or opioids.
Although the last one wont help me with my gynecomastia considering opioids are known to increase estrogen levels and its an analgesic so I don't think it will help with my dick sensitivity much.

That goes away after a while. I'd stick with it if I were you. When I first started Sertraline (very similar, also an SSRI) I found it very difficult to cum. Like I had to use a hardcore sexual fantasy and work away for a while, but even that didn't work every time. But after a couple months it gradually got better until things were pretty much normal. I've been on it for 12 years now and never have any problems.

That goes away after a while. I'd stick with it if I were you. When I first started Sertraline (very similar, also an SSRI) I found it very difficult to cum. Like I had to use a hardcore sexual fantasy and work away for a while, but even that didn't work every time. But after a couple months it gradually got better until things were pretty much normal. I've been on it for 12 years now and never have any problems.
ive been on ssri type drugs for 5 years total and I've had this problem the whole time, i too turned to more and more fucked up shit and still i cant cum. because of my inability to orgasm on occasion I fapped for 3-6 hours this caused skin abrasions.
2 years ago i switched to Sertraline, because of the persistent problems I've been having with fluoxetine, and because i was a little fucking rebel i decided to quit that as well. cause i was stupid i decided to quit cold turkey, like i had done a month or two prior to switching to sertraline. i thought that it wouldn't be that bad just like quitting the fluoxetine, oh how fucking wrong i was. I couldn't sleep for a week because every time i yawned* i got a cattle prod in the back of my skull, turns out one of the major reasons you shouldn't quit sertraline cold turkey is that your brain isn't use to the serotonin/lack of it, and it decides the best course of action is to zap you in the back of your head for a week strait. also i felt like shit and i think i caused brain damage in myself cause of my fucking stupid actions,

Moral of the story is that while I'm glad Sertraline is working for you, my body's response to my medication is likely going to be different than yours is to yours. and don't be an idiot like me and to stop taking it without the proper precaution.

*what i mean "by yawing caused the zaps" is that I could trigger the zaps by yawning. not just the mouth opening and yawn, yawning either i mean like that sound you get when you yawn. I think that's something to do with serotonin release. I could do that sound when on command and it would zap me.