• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi Takes Aim at Urban Outfitters for Drug Merchandise

Bluelight Crew
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/05/florida_attorney_general_pam_b.php

Don't expect Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to make a shopping spree at Urban Outfitters anytime soon. Bondi has joined 22 other state AGs in criticizing the entry-level hipster clothing chain (which has three locations in Miami-Dade) for selling merchandise that they feel makes light of prescription drug abuse, a particularly hot-button issue in Florida.

Urban Outfitter has introduced a line of products meant to mimic prescription pill bottles. A beer koozie meant to look like an orange pill bottle reads, "TAKE ONE CAN BY MOUTH, REPEAT UNTIL INTOXICATED," as prescribed my a Dr. Hugh Jass. A flask is labeled as "Boozemin."

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1-thumb-200x200.jpg

Bondi isn't laughing.

"These products are not in any way fun or humorous but make light of this rampant problem," the group of AGs wrote in a letter to Urban Outfitter CEO. "We invite you to pull these products from your shelves and join with us to fight prescription drug."

Bondi however tells The Miami Herald that the group of AGs will not take legal action against the chain, but feels the products undermined efforts to fight prescription pill abuse.
We couldn't find the products for sale on Urban Outfitter's website, but did find them for sale on numerous other websites. A site called Gadget and Gizmos sellsthe koozie for $7.99.

A search of Google Shopping shows that the flask is on sale at numerous websites for about $20. Sounds like the AGs should be appealing to the manufactures as well. Though, maybe they'd just thank the pols for the free publicity.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/05/florida_attorney_general_pam_b.php

This is very dumb, but it also smacks of corruption. People are right to be aware of alcohol as a powerful drug. And state politicians are often in the pockets of the alcohol industry. There is wickedness afoot in this trivial story.

Her complaint seems so random though.

This is very dumb, but it also smacks of corruption. People are right to be aware of alcohol as a powerful drug. And state politicians are often in the pockets of the alcohol industry. There is wickedness afoot in this trivial story.

Her complaint seems so random though.

I don't understand, where do you see any evidence (or just hints) of corruption?

I don't understand, where do you see any evidence (or just hints) of corruption?

I'm assuming that the campaigns of the governor and attorney general are partially financed by the liquor lobby.

"These products are not in any way fun or humorous but make light of this rampant problem," the group of AGs wrote in a letter to Urban Outfitter CEO. "We invite you to pull these products from your shelves and join with us to fight prescription drug."

I have a better idea...

let's schedule tobacco and alcohol, and instead of it being a joke, it'll be for real. That way, the people who need to drink to cope or due to whatever can, and they'll have set limits, and if they go through it too quickly they won't be able to be a 24/7 alcoholic, etc.

tobacco actually has some "medically accepted uses" (even though I disagree with anyone using it for any medical reason doesn't mean I don't think a doctor can't say 'sure it's all right for what you're going through; just this # this often, etc.' - reminds me of an episode of House where he suggested someone with IBS - irritable bowel syndrome - have no more than 2 cigarettes per day to treat it - obviously different options are available but still just wanted to mention this as it would make logical sense to make alcohol and tobacco prescription only)

The positive sides: reduced alcoholism, and at least the "war on drugs" wouldn't be a total hypocrisy.